Yamaha 763 - anyway to turn the OSD off?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Has anyone found a way to stop the OSD coming up on the TV screen on this Amp? I occasionally want to be able to fiddle with the speaker volume settings using the level button while a film is playing and just want it to appear on the small screen on the amp so it doesn't interrupt the film and annoy my wife...
I've searched the manual, and spent quite a while searching through the menus but I can't find a setting to stop it sending the menu screen to the tv screen. Seems like a bit of a daft oversight if there isn't a way to turn the OSD off.

I have the Amp linked to my Sony W4000 by HDMI.

A

Anonymous

i don't think it's possible, can only change the duration it stays on the screen for. my Yamaha RXV3800 can't be set to off either. only options are "always, 10sec and 30 sec."

A

Anonymous

Isn't this a big downside?

I often like to fiddle with the volume during a film and wouldn't want the OSD showing up on the screen everytime I tweaked the volume.

A

Anonymous

Yup, presuming there isn't a way to turn it off its a big enough irritation that it would have stopped me buying the Amp if I'd known about it beforehand (even though the sound is fantastic). I never saw it mentioned in any of the many reviews and forum posts that I checked before buying though.

A

Anonymous

Rdsoftware - can you confirm it appears even when just turning the main volume up and down and not just individual speakers?

I was about to buy one but will probably now switch to the Sony 2400. The lack of a receiver radio also mititgates against the Yam for me.

A

Anonymous

superted
No the OSD doesn't appear when changing the main volume, that would be beyond annoying! :) its only when fiddling with the volume of the individual speakers or when changing each speakers equaliser settings.

A

Anonymous

Whoops!

Thanks Rd. I may be able to live with that but I agree with you that there should be an option to turn the OSD off.

My current Toshiba lcd comes up with a large "VOL" OSD avery time you turn the vol up or down. It appears just where the words are when playing Singstar (a guilty pleasure!). Very annoying!

A

Anonymous

I sent an email to yamaha support, below is the reply. Not the most impressive level of customer service, but I suppose at least they bothered to reply to me. Was hoping for something more along the lines of 'this option will be added in the next firmware release'... oh well.

To:
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2008 12:34 PM
Subject: Re: Yamaha 763 - anyway to turn off the OSD?

Hi,
Thanks for your email and for your interest in Yamaha.
Sorry there is no option to switch the OSD off, you can select how long the
OSD stays on tho.
Many thanks

Yamaha Technical

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts