Xiaomi Laser Projector - Anybody seen it in the wild?

The only thing I'd say is get experience of one before ordering. The noise level, in standard mode, stated 32dB, which is loud. Most of the current crop of home theatre projectors are between 20-25dB, depending on mode. I've been used to my Mitsubishi which in eco mode was 17dB (19dB in normal mode), which is damn quiet. I find PJs at around 23-25dB too noisy. If I recall correctly, projectors I owned 10 years ago stated that sort of figure.

I would've expected the introduction of laser projectors to have cut down on noise, or brought it below that of mine, but obviously laser tech still produces a lot of heat, and in turn the need for cooling, which produces the noise. It may not bother you, but once the novelty of a projector at home wears off, the noise issue will start to creep in...

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
good point, thank you. Although I would have hoped the offset of it being futher away would hopfeully mitigate some of that (the theory being all pj's I've had in the past have basically been near my noggin)

It will have distance on its side, but noise is noise! Might sound like a hairdryer on low...

And ignore any claim to being “full UHD” or “4K”. It may accept a 4K signal, but the panel is native 1080. As I mentioned in another thread, this irritates me greatly. Just because a projector can accept a 4K signal, that doesn’t mean it will display that signal “as is”. Like this one, some downscale to 1080p, and others downscale or 1080 than upscale again to 4K! Currently, to natively display a 4K signal on a projector costs a fair amount of money. I’ve not kept up too much on projectors this year, but the cheapest genuine 4K I know of are the Sonys which are usually around £4,500. If a PJ can’t display native 4K, it shouldn’t be allowed to use the logos, or at least make it clear what it can accept and what it can display - it’s very hard to work out exactly what a PJ does when you read many of the specs nowadays. “Native resolution” should be a required specification.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
cheapest I've seen so far is about 1450 but then you've have customs on top of that. The next one I can find that's ultra short throw laser is the epson ls100 which is pretty much double the price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts