Xbox One S/X

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I am new to this but looked around a little.

I have now ordered an Xbox One X plus media controller.

Seems to make more sense than spending £300 plus on a dedicated player :)

Even an Xbox One S will play 4k discs at native resolution. Add the self illuminating media controller and it makes a lovely entertainment package for around £250.

Oh yes, both also, imho look better than many (most?) Black plastic BR players. Slot loading is sooo much sexxx.

May add that I am not a cinemaphile so I don't plan to amass a huge number of titles. The odd play of planet earth etc will suffice plus a few movies which hopefully will impress me through 4k streaming. - I think the gaming will take up far more usage time.

What are they like for noise when playing a disc? My player sits right behind me - my Oppo was pretty much silent, but I’ve sold that recently, and temporarily using my old multi-region Panasonic BD60 until I work out which 4K player to go for, it’s a tad noisy. Back when I was a regular gamer, the Xbox 360 was always quite noisy when playing a game, and even when it wasn’t. I’d hope the One is silent when doing nothing, and extremely quiet when playing a 4K disc. Otherwise, it would be out as an option for me.

Although, it’s probably not an option for me anyway as I’d need it to be multi-region for Bluray, as I have a number of Region A discs that aren’t available in the UK (not the same version anyway).

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
davidf said:
What are they like for noise when playing a disc? My player sits right behind me - my Oppo was pretty much silent, but I’ve sold that recently, and temporarily using my old multi-region Panasonic BD60 until I work out which 4K player to go for, it’s a tad noisy. Back when I was a regular gamer, the Xbox 360 was always quite noisy when playing a game, and even when it wasn’t. I’d hope the One is silent when doing nothing, and extremely quiet when playing a 4K disc. Otherwise, it would be out as an option for me.

Although, it’s probably not an option for me anyway as I’d need it to be multi-region for Bluray, as I have a number of Region A discs that aren’t available in the UK (not the same version anyway).

I have xbox one in our games room on the LG 4k Tv and it’s really quiet.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The Xbox X is virtually silent. Playing a disc you would have to put your ear right next to it to hear anything.

Liquid/pipe cooled.

Nice piece of kit.

Nice to know. But the only thing for me is that I would ideally want multi-region for Bluray, which would be the only factor going against it, otherwise I’d give it a go. My old Panny BD60 will play multi-region discs, but if I’m buying a good quality 4K player of some sort, I’m going to want it to benefit my whole collection. I’m guessing I have around 30, maybe 40 Region A locked discs, but I’m not going to replace them all with Region B ones as there’s some I can’t get, like the Criterion edition of The Game, which is one that springs to mind.

I’ve got Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Shudder via the apps on my TV, so wouldn’t really need those.

drummerman said:
Oppo and Panasonic players seem to be the de facto recommendations. I am sure you'll find a very good one.
Avoiding Oppo if I can. I’m looking at Panasonic and Sony players at the moment - particularly as the Panasonic BD60 came out around 2009/2010, so I must’ve had mine for about 8 years now without a glitch, and it’s never had an issue playing any discs. I’d probably stick with that for now, but there was one aspect I had forgotten I needed - dual HDMI outputs. My Classé processor doesn’t accept 4K, so I want one HDMi to take that directly to the TV, and the other to take the audio to the processor. Current favourite is the Sony 700 which can be had multi-Region for £399, but might hold out to see which new Panasonics will be available MR.

Sorry, feel like I’m hijacking the thread :)

D

Deleted member 2457

davidf said:
Nice to know. But the only thing for me is that I would ideally want multi-region for Bluray, which would be the only factor going against it, otherwise I’d give it a go. My old Panny BD60 will play multi-region discs, but if I’m buying a good quality 4K player of some sort, I’m going to want it to benefit my whole collection. I’m guessing I have around 30, maybe 40 Region A locked discs, but I’m not going to replace them all with Region B ones as there’s some I can’t get, like the Criterion edition of The Game, which is one that springs to mind.

I’ve got Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Shudder via the apps on my TV, so wouldn’t really need those.
Which TV do you have David? Why are you trying to avoid Oppo? Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

Thanks David.
thumbs_up.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts