Wrong amp/speaker/subwoofer??

sapplets

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm on my 3rd different setup in 3 years and still cant get the right sound I want, latest setup is: -

- Q Acoutics 2020i speakers

- Denon CEOL Piccolo Amp

- BK XLS200 Subwoofer

Main issue is playing music (mainly electronic, house), I can't seem to get the right bass sound. I was persuaded into buying a subwoofer which I thought would improve the bass, but didn't, though it's great for watching movies. The bass just sounds muffled and looking for a tighter sound.

I have a friend that has a pair of 8" active studio monitors which sound perfect, and only cost £300 (my current setup has cost £650). Is there any hifi setup that would replicate these? i'd prefer to keep a hifi setup rather than studio as I use airplay and like to switch the sound to the tv.

I think the main issue might be the 2020i speakers, they completely cut out the low sounds in my music, so considering upgrading to a pair that can handle the bass better, budget is 300-400 second hand or new. Hopefully I can make it 4th time lucky and get a sound I like, i've wasted quite a lot of money trying!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
sapplets said:
I'm on my 3rd different setup in 3 years and still cant get the right sound I want, latest setup is: -

- Denon CEOL Piccolo Amp

- BK XLS200 Subwoofer

Main issue is playing music (mainly electronic, house), I can't seem to get the right bass sound. I was persuaded into buying a subwoofer which I thought would improve the bass, but didn't, though it's great for watching movies. The bass just sounds muffled and looking for a tighter sound.

I have a friend that has a pair of 8" active studio monitors which sound perfect, and only cost £300 (my current setup has cost £650). Is there any hifi setup that would replicate these? i'd prefer to keep a hifi setup rather than studio as I use airplay and like to switch the sound to the tv.

I think the main issue might be the 2020i speakers, they completely cut out the low sounds in my music, so considering upgrading to a pair that can handle the bass better, budget is 300-400 second hand or new. Hopefully I can make it 4th time lucky and get a sound I like, i've wasted quite a lot of money trying!

So why waste more continuing down the passive route.......... :doh:

Your current setup is fine for what it is though the sub was probably an error, for music at least.

The simple fact is that you have a nice 'balanced' system, which is fundamentally not what you need.

For about £650 you can get a pair of Presonus Eris 8 (sub £400), and add a source of your choice, bear in mind you will need a volume control though.

This will give you the sound that you want, you will not get it any other way for comparable money.

gasolin

You should try Q Acoustics 2050i or Dali Zensor 3, Boston a26 or mabye Q acoustics own 2000i sub

The Q Acoustics 2020i (haven't heard them irl) is a balanced sounding speaker that are good at most genre, but they don't have the omph you might need that cerwin vega has, try to listen to one of the speakers i surgest.

Krk vxt 8 is also active speakers like the presonus eris 8 and they are known for the mighty bass, they are also something you should listen to.

Might be the kickbass (or what ever it's called) you are missing and is what big jbls are so good at , the kickbass, this slaaam sound is what you 2020i is surpose to play not a sub it's only making the sound deeeper, not necessarily punchy

sapplets

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
sapplets said:

- Denon CEOL Piccolo Amp

- BK XLS200 Subwoofer

So why waste more continuing down the passive route.......... :doh:

Your current setup is fine for what it is though the sub was probably an error, for music at least.

The simple fact is that you have a nice 'balanced' system, which is fundamentally not what you need.

For about £650 you can get a pair of Presonus Eris 8 (sub £400), and add a source of your choice, bear in mind you will need a volume control though.

This will give you the sound that you want, you will not get it any other way for comparable money.

thanks

i've decided to go down the active speaker route

what put me off was the way its wired, as i want to use airplay and also use for tv. after a bit of research would i be right in buying one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-802-Input-Bus-Mixer/dp/B000J5XS3C

i'm thinking i could then buy an airport express which will plug this into it along with 2 xlr leads..

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
what speakers did you get and is XLR a requirement?

Ideally you just need some kind of stereo switch box. the mixer you linked to will add another entire level of pre-amping in to the mix and may make it sound quite different. Either that or maybe have a look in to some kind of multi input pre-amp with balanced output.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
sapplets said:
thanks

what put me off was the way its wired, as i want to use airplay and also use for tv. after a bit of research would i be right in buying one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-802-Input-Bus-Mixer/dp/B000J5XS3C

i'm thinking i could then buy an airport express which will plug this into it along with 2 xlr leads..

Since you want to use the speakers with the TV anyways, why not an Apple TV? You can also use it for music, and this way you don't need more inputs. In theory, if you connect the speakers digitally, no quality is lost from the Apple TV. Also, you see the cover of the album on the screen, which is very cool. :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The Behringer will add a whole lay of extra complexity to the setup, over complicated to say the least.

The cheapest device that does everything, well pretty much, is the Matrix Mini I, balanced out, multiple inputs, remote control etc. Depending where you buy it you will likely pay £250-300, which given your budget is a bit high, drop the remote and the balanced outs and you can get the Aune X1 for about £135. Look here.

USB is the weakest input, but it has coax, toslink and an analogue line level. Full preamp and headphone amp.

Many of the active speakers you look at will have phono inputs, if they don't they will have jacks, phono-mono jack adapters are dirt cheap so you just need longish phono leads.

sapplets

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
unsleepable said:
sapplets said:
thanks

Since you want to use the speakers with the TV anyways, why not an Apple TV? You can also use it for music, and this way you don't need more inputs. In theory, if you connect the speakers digitally, no quality is lost from the Apple TV. Also, you see the cover of the album on the screen, which is very cool. :)

i did consider apple tv but it only has an optical output, not sure how i would wire this to studio monitors. also i dont want to have to turn on the tv to listen to music, though im guessing you might not have to with the airplay, not sure..

sapplets

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
The Behringer will add a whole lay of extra complexity to the setup, over complicated to say the least.

The cheapest device that does everything, well pretty much, is the Matrix Mini I, balanced out, multiple inputs, remote control etc. Depending where you buy it you will likely pay £250-300, which given your budget is a bit high, drop the remote and the balanced outs and you can get the Aune X1 for about £135. Look here.

USB is the weakest input, but it has coax, toslink and an analogue line level. Full preamp and headphone amp.

Many of the active speakers you look at will have phono inputs, if they don't they will have jacks, phono-mono jack adapters are dirt cheap so you just need longish phono leads.

in what way does the behringer complicate the setup? all i need is literally something to wire everything up so wasn't looking to spend hundreds on that. i don't need a remote or anything, just a device that will take all the leads and make it work. i was keen to use xlr cables too which the behringer takes

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
sapplets said:
davedotco said:

in what way does the behringer complicate the setup? all i need is literally something to wire everything up so wasn't looking to spend hundreds on that. i don't need a remote or anything, just a device that will take all the leads and make it work. i was keen to use xlr cables too which the behringer takes

A fair amount of low cost electronics and switchgear in the signal path. I prefer a simpler design which should sound more transparent. No inherent advantage using XLR cables in this application but no disadvantages either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts