WOW - My Project Debut!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
What a change! I havn't used my turntable in nearly six months - I've been using my Arcam CD73 for music playing duties, but I got my Project Debut III out today and played a copy of Radiohead's OK Computer and the results are outstanding! It's way better than my Arcam! Like properly better! Okay, I've still got a problem with the crackles that come from the left channel and the slight drone of the motor, but the results are worth it! I don't remember it sounding this good before! The detail coming through is outstanding!

Now, I need something to keep my records clean with and get rid of the scratchy sound on some records and the pops - can someone recommend a product that is easily available and fairly cheap?

Many thanks, and LONG LIVE VINYL!

Messiah

And only recently you were warning people away from the cheap record decks..........
emotion-4.gif

Sounds like you have changed those views!!

Shame because the more I read about Turntables the more I am considering getting one!

A

Anonymous

Audio Technica makes a nice fluid/brush combo, it's my favourite. Then you'll need a Carbon Fibre brush, Pro-Ject, AT, Tonar all have one. It's actually the same brush no matter whose name is on it so just buy the cheapest. Then I STRONGLY recommend nitty-gritty record sleeves, they're cheaper and better than nagaoka ones.

edit: welcome back to the fold hughes:) I might suggest springing for a P2 or RPM5 and a 2M Blue at the very least for a cart.

A

Anonymous

Antistat it is!

If I want a new cartridge (because my current one is looking a bit iffy these days) what one should I look at? I want one that I can use on future upgrades (and if I ever get that JVC QL70). Is the Grado Prestige Gold good?

A

Anonymous

Yeah it's okay. An Ortofon 2M Blue, Bronze or Black are all solid. I'm a huge sumiko blackbird fan though.

A

Anonymous

I'll check that Sumiko cartridge out! I don't think I'll be getting a new turntable any time soon, due to lack of funds and I don't feel I need one by the sound that my £150 Project is providing right now! It's a hugely suprising sound that struck me once it started! Like being at the top of a mountain, alone, listening to pure heavenly ectasy! (Sorry if that was a bit pretentious, but it is!)

Span a copy of the same album on the Arcam a second ago and it sounded awful in comparison (apart from the bass which was better because it was more extended.)

matthewpiano

Hughes123:I'll check that Sumiko cartridge out! I don't think I'll be getting a new turntable any time soon, due to lack of funds and I don't feel I need one by the sound that my £150 Project is providing right now! It's a hugely suprising sound that struck me once it started! Like being at the top of a mountain, alone, listening to pure heavenly ectasy! (Sorry if that was a bit pretentious, but it is!)

Span a copy of the same album on the Arcam a second ago and it sounded awful in comparison (apart from the bass which was better because it was more extended.)

Now you're jumping to the other extreme!! There is nothing 'awful' about a CD73T. Wish I'd had one at your age!! Ultimately I believe vinyl IS better than CD but I think you need to just enjoy both for what they are. With a high quality player (which your CD73 is) CD is capable of some serious performance - don't rubbish it just because you've re-awoken to the talents of the magic black stuff.

Glad you've rediscovered your turntable.

A

Anonymous

Awful...in comparison. Yes, I agree certainly that I am incredibly lucky to have such an amazing system for somebody of nearly sixteen, but I never realised that vinyl could sound so good! I mean, the soundstage from my headphones is amazing! I can't wait until next weekend when I can get them on my B&W 685s!

I'm doing the music for my dad's office xmas party in two weeks, and I'm taking my 685s, the A32 and my laptop to feed them (because I need to be able to mix two tracks simultaneously and dub over the top) but I'm seriously considering taking the turntable along for a laugh too! Should be fun, and I'll see how well a £2k 100watt hi-fi system can perform in a huge office!

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:Expensive hi-fi, including speakers with VERY delicate tweeters + office party???? Does that not = recipe for disaster?

They'll be fine! Are the tweeters really that delicate when they are behind their covers? I very rarely take the covers off speakers because the difference is incredibly minimal if they are good quality covers and you loose that original colour wood which you can compare in twenty years time and go "I remember when my speakers were that colour!"

T

the record spot

If you like the "sound" of that Sumiko Blackbird, might I suggest you partner it with something a little better than the Project? At over £500 a popo (and nearer £600 in some places) it'll do neither your Project Debut III, or the cartridge any favours.

I'd suggest you stick with something up to the £100 mark or so (maybe at most a Goldring 1022 GX which is about £120) - that'll withstand an upgrade or two and is a fine cartridge (as are all the Goldring 1000 series). Likewise, the Ortofon Bronze and Black are probably too pricey to fit onto a Debut III.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts