sonos: upgrade, port, s1/s2

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi - a question (or 3!) for sonos experts:

First - am I correct in saying the "brick it" requirement for the Sonos upgrade has gone? I bricked a CR200 controller (which was already dead, so was okay with that), but have they now changed so I could redeploy some of the traded-up stuff elsewhere in my house? They say "Decide if, when, and how to recycle your old product" which seems to mean I can, but wanted to double check.

Second - the Sonos Port has had a less than glowing review. I've got the new Sonos amp (a 4 star product) and rather like how it sounds, but in any case - if I were to get a Port it would be use use the digital coax output to an Arcam SA20 and stream the forthcoming HiRes upgrade for Sonos's S2 platform. Has anyone done this / can they report on it. The review doesn't seem to stack up to me:

Using an external DAC is helpful, so if you have a decent one built into your amplifier, we’d suggest using the Port’s digital output – though we’d hesitate to suggest adding to the already significant cost by incorporating an outboard DAC.
We try it with the Award-winning Chord Qutest (£1195), which predictably improves the performance but not to a miraculous extent. As a £1600 streamer, this pairing would still receive only three stars.

I'm not adding a DAC, but to add a fancy, 5-star, award-winning DAC to a streamer module which has been mainly criticised for poor DAC still results in a 3 star outcome? TBH, I don't place a massive amount of stock in star ratings but they are somewhat indicative - that just seemed madness to me. Is it lazy writing, or is there a greater concern that they've just not really explored. Can anyone shed light?

Given I'll only get a port via the trade up scheme there's a moral argument against taking up a dealer's time, and they're all shut anyway!

Third: I've got stability issues with my mesh, but I think they're resolved now. The main offender is my aging Sonos Connect, which will be relegated to my AVR which is only used for music during dinner parties (not a thing anymore...), but does S1/S2 simply mean two apps and one mesh, or is it two meshes (which could mean two weak meshes rather than one middling strong one, depending on placement/proximity to the main router).

That it, and thanks for any help/comments!

1) You are correct. But near in mind if you have old as well as new, you won't be able to use the S2 software so will miss out on hi res.

2) You can return the Port if you're not happy with it. Personally, I don't think it should sound that bad. Also, reviews take price into consideration and you're getting a 30% discount.

3)You should've received a separate email with a 30% discount code for Sonos Boost. That's much better and sorted dropouts in my house.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks BB

I saw that Sonos will allow people with mixed systems to remain on the S1 app or divide it to S1 and S2 but means you cannot have party zone across both s1 and s2, but that's not really a concern. Unsure if I end up with 2 meshes or one mesh that 2 apps run off though.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts