Thorens or Project

lee711

Feb 1, 2021
Visit site
Hello, 1st post on here. I'm looking at purchasing a new vinyl spinner, something a bit more up market from my near on 25 yr old Project debut. It has served me well and has had a cartridge and stylus upgrade to an Ortofon 2M red which has performed admirably.
My whole system has been going through an upgrade process and now consists of :-
Arcam SA20
Arcam CDS50
Arcam irdac ( for all other digital sources )
B&W 603 S2 anniversary

It's now time for the TT and I've narrowed the choice down to the Thorens TD103A and the Project X2 . As demo's are not a viable option at the present time, does anyone have any advice or experience of either of these units or maybe some other options that my research my have overlooked ( Dual, Mofi, Audio-Technica, Rega ), but 1K is the budget and must incl cart.
Many thanks in advance.

Hello, 1st post on here. I'm looking at purchasing a new vinyl spinner, something a bit more up market from my near on 25 yr old Project debut. It has served me well and has had a cartridge and stylus upgrade to an Ortofon 2M red which has performed admirably.
My whole system has been going through an upgrade process and now consists of :-
Arcam SA20
Arcam CDS50
B&W 603 S2 anniversary

It's now time for the TT and I've narrowed the choice down to the Thorens TD103A and the Project X2 . As demo's are not a viable option at the present time, does anyone have any advice or experience of either of these units or maybe some other options that my research my have overlooked ( Dual, Mofi, Audio-Technica, Rega ), but 1K is the budget and must incl cart.
Many thanks in advance.
I can only comment on the newer Thorens, Pro-ject and Regas. Thorens aren't the same table from years ago. They are based on the minimalist design and that impacts on the sound. Heard one about 3 years ago and for me it was disappointing. It's not bad but IMO they've lost ground on the Regas and Pro-jects.

As I own a Pro-ject Classic and the Xpression 1 before my bias will veer towards that brand for all-in-one tables.

Arcam SA20
Arcam CDS50
B&W 603 S2 anniversary

Many thanks in advance.
Pretty much depends on what you like the look of. I think the walnut gloss Thorens would be my choice. Do you need a fully automatic deck? However the X2 has a slightly better cartridge, I have not seen one yet though.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts