Should I go for a Cyrus Stream X2 or Streamline 2?

colechops

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking to purchase a Streamer and have narrowed it down to either the Cyrus Stream X2, or the Cyrus Streamline 2, both of which are currently available for a very good – and very similar – price at certain dealers.

I currently own a Cyrus 6a amplifier and Arcam IRDac.

Am I correct in thinking the Streamline 2 is basically the same as the Stream X2, but with the addition of an on-board amplifier and DAC?

If that's the case, is there any disadvantage to purchasing the Streamline rather than the Stream, given that I won't be using the Streamline's built-in amp? (I would use the line level outputs to feed my current amp.) Could having the amp (which I won't actually use) built in adversely affect the sound quality?

And how does the Streamline's DAC compare with the Arcam IRDac?

In a nutshell, if sound quality is my priority, am I better off going for the Stream X2 and keeping my current IRDac, or should I opt for the Streamline 2 and sell the IRDac?

Thanks!

manicm

The Streamline 2 is an all in one system including amp/dac/streamer similar to Unitiqute, but is now discontinued (no longer on Cyrus website). The Stream X would thus be ideal in your system. However check the price, it may be more expensive than the Stream Xa - which is a streamer and dac.

jjbomber

colechops said:
I'm looking to purchase a Streamer and have narrowed it down to either the Cyrus Stream X2, or the Cyrus Streamline 2, both of which are currently available for a very good – and very similar – price at certain dealers.

Streamline 2 is £550 at Creative Audio and would be my choice. An all-in-one system will hold it's value much better than a pure streamer. I'd sell the IRDac.

manicm

jjbomber said:
colechops said:

Streamline 2 is £550 at Creative Audio and would be my choice. An all-in-one system will hold it's value much better than a pure streamer. I'd sell the IRDac.

According to you and which experts? The irdac is an excellent dac and is probably superior to the one in the Streamline. The op also has a very good amp. He'll be selling himself short on all counts taking your advice.

To the op, consider any secondhand Cyrus streamer - you're bound to find one at a good price. Also consider the Marantz NA6005 after a good haggle.

colechops

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. There's not much in the price between the two and I'm more concerned with getting the best sound than resale value, so it's still unclear whether the streamline would be a better deal for me – for instance, how the dac compares to my current dac, whether there's any difference in the quality of components for the streaming part between the streamline 2 and the stream x2.

colechops

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. If my current DAC is better then it sounds like I certainly wouldn't gain anything from the extras the streamline offers. Do you know if there's any difference in component quality between the streamline 2 and the stream x2?

manicm

Not exactly sure, but if you can pick it for the same price I'd certainly go for the Stream X2 - it would be less compromised, and you already have a great amp and dac. But do check the Marantz as well - it does offer DSD playback if you ever want to dabble in it. Marantz streamers have always sounded good, and this one is well featured.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts