Hi, advice about upgrading speakers please

miketruman

Nov 1, 2020
Visit site
I have a pair of KEF R3 (previous to current version/slightly smaller Q array). My amp is an Arcam FMJ A38 and I stream music and play CDs through the DAC on my Quad Artera Solus Play, and spin Vinyl on an upgraded Pro-ject X2 with Hana EL mc cartridge and a Tom Evans Microgroove pre-amp. I feel I would like to upgrade the speakers to give me a better soundstage, cleaner, more open sound and just all round better experience. My listening room is very unusual - it is a wooden studio - heavy duty timber and fully insulated, size 5m x 4m, listening on the long edge, sometimes as music to work by and sometimes for critical listening. I don't do rock/metal etc, preferring cooler sounds and classical. So, the thing is, I don't need fancy finishes, expensive veneers and bits of bling, I need a straightforward high quality pair of speakers which will offer greater detail and focus than the KEFs. I figure £2k+ would be an appropriate budget. Any suggestions please about where to concentrate my search?
Thanks in advance.

You have a very particular environment that’s hard to guess what influence it has on the sound.

Have you heard KEF LS50s, as they’re likely cooler than your R3, though smaller? You might find you can change the imaging with experimenting with placement, toe-in etc.

For a different brand, ATC are felt by many as cooler and more detailed. I just think they’re natural and uncoloured. SCM11 and 19 are larger stand-mount, though your room is large enough for floorstanders. The SCM40 is double your budget, but used (mark 2 curved cabinets, not the boxy mark 1) can be had for around £2500 on eBay if you’re patient.

Lots of rival brands, well worth a trip out to a few dealers to audition.

miketruman

Nov 1, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. You're right that it's a strange environment being both work and leisure and I've spent many happy hours changing the position and isolation of the speakers in the search for perfection. I'm interested you say the ATCs are more neutral and detailed and i think that is what I'm striving for. I'll make arrangements and go and have a listen.
Thanks again and any other thoughts welcome.

Thanks for the advice. You're right that it's a strange environment being both work and leisure and I've spent many happy hours changing the position and isolation of the speakers in the search for perfection. I'm interested you say the ATCs are more neutral and detailed and i think that is what I'm striving for. I'll make arrangements and go and have a listen.
Thanks again and any other thoughts welcome.
After reading your post carefully, this screams Totem Arros. Arcam and Totem are a fabulous combo. Like ATC they are neutral but the stereo imaging is second to none around that price point.

Certainly demo a pair and see if they sound right.

Reactions: Al ears

miketruman

Nov 1, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for that suggestion. I must admit that I hadn't heard of Totem and a bit of research shows that there aren't that many UK stockists. However, there seems to be lots of enthusiasm in reviews which, as you say, stress neutrality and soundstage. It may be a case of buy and try rather than hearing them. One more for consideration.
Thanks again.

Reactions: Al ears
Thanks for that suggestion. I must admit that I hadn't heard of Totem and a bit of research shows that there aren't that many UK stockists. However, there seems to be lots of enthusiasm in reviews which, as you say, stress neutrality and soundstage. It may be a case of buy and try rather than hearing them. One more for consideration.
Thanks again.
I know they are floorstanders, but they are so dainty but punch well above their diminutive size.

I heard them years ago with Arcam A32 and they sounded terrific. Since then demoed the Arros with a Leema.... certainly my fav small floorstanders.

TRENDING THREADS