Would I appreciate 4k?

jabirugpa

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
I was watching the new Planet Earth II Sunday evening on a 65" Panny plasma and was thrilled by the quaility of the filming and it made me think: 'Would 4k really be that much better?' I had been thinking of buying a 65" LG OLED E6, but I'm wondering just how much better the picture would be.

I know that several of you gentlemen have already made the move to 4k, and I would very much like to read your views.

Geoff

Gray

jabirugpa said:
I was watching the new Planet Earth II Sunday evening on a 65" Panny plasma and was thrilled by the quaility of the filming and it made me think: 'Would 4k really be that much better?' I had been thinking of buying a 65" LG OLED E6, but I'm wondering just how much better the picture would be.

I know that several of you gentlemen have already made the move to 4k, and I would very much like to read your views.

Geoff

There are people that genuinely can't see the benefit of HD over SD so any benefit will always be subjective. Why not have a look at some native 4k on a UHD screen and see what you think?

I've been impressed by 4k.

You may already know that Planet Earth 2 cannot currently be seen anywhere in 4k.

Personally I'm sticking with HD till there's enough 8k content and Super Hi-vision sets are common!

(Which means I'll be waiting till long after Planet Earth 3, presented by 110 year old D.A.)

D

Deleted member 2457

jabirugpa said:

Geoff
The 65 LG Oled e6 is a fantastic TV in 2D it's a big jump from a Panasonic plasma it has a brighter screen and even darker blacks. 3D it's a passive screen and doesn't give me headaches like the active screens. It also looks great. 4K on YouTube clips looks amazing but on HDR 4K Blu Ray I can only see a little difference, I am thinking about the new Oppo 203 4K Blu Ray player though.

Wait till Black Friday on the 25th November I expect John Lewis will have it for £3500! That's a great buy at that price.

I'm way down the other end of the price spectrum, having just paid 1500 for a Sony 65 inch 4K TV.

ive been very impressed with the performance of the TV.

4k looks amazing, HDR is very lifelike. Hd content is brilliant, even sd on freesat looks very good indeed.

I think you could buy a 4K tv right now, and still be waiting for 8k content for at least five years, maybe more.

65inch for me seems just right (for now)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Gray said:
jabirugpa said:
I was watching the new Planet Earth II Sunday evening on a 65" Panny plasma and was thrilled by the quaility of the filming and it made me think: 'Would 4k really be that much better?' I had been thinking of buying a 65" LG OLED E6, but I'm wondering just how much better the picture would be.

Geoff

There are people that genuinely can't see the benefit of HD over SD so any benefit will always be subjective. Why not have a look at some native 4k on a UHD screen and see what you think?

You may already know that Planet Earth 2 cannot currently be seen anywhere in 4k.

Personally I'm sticking with HD till there's enough 8k content and Super Hi-vision sets are common!

(Which means I'll be waiting till long after Planet Earth 3, presented by 110 year old D.A.)

You'll be waiting for Tony Robinson's great great grandson to dig up David Attenborough before there's enough 8K content outside of perhaps Japan and Singapore to make it worth waiting for IMHO :)

jabirugpa

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
Thanks, Gents, for your responses to my post, I appreciate your help. Apparently my broadband speed of 22 Mbps is not quite fast enough to stream 4k from Netflix so I wouldn't have a lot of content to watch if I did take the plunge and treat myself right away - I think I'll wait awhile and see what develops.

Cheers.

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
I think people get too bogged down with resolution 4K to extent is a bit of a marketing tool. Granted good 4K will look awesome but to be honest most of the 4K content on Netflix doesn't look anywhere near as good as Planet Earth 2 in 1080p!! Think of it like audio - listening to music in 24 bit is theoretically better than 16 bit. But a very well mastered price of music at 16 bit will sound better than a lot of 24 bit material.

jabirugpa

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
Thanks, Umbucker,

What you say makes good sense to me - maybe it's a bit early to go down the 4 k route.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting for the BBC to broadcast in 1080p!

Geoff

umbucker

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
No problem. Don't get me wrong 'good 4k' does look awesome especially HDR but there is very little content as of yet, and planet earth 2 is a good example of how things can look incredible in 1080p

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Planet Earth 2 was actually filmed in 4K so the BBC have downscaled it for broadcast.

I think that also they have broadcast it in a higher bitrate than they normally broacast in given the size of the file on my HDD recorder.

So I suppose this all helps to give the stunning picture that we are getting.

I've been watching Netflix most of today, with just a 5mbps speed, and the picture has been spot on, not buffered once, and has been crystal clear too.

I am going to upgrade the broadband shortly, but I would think at anything around 20mbps it's going to work perfectly.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Gray said:
jabirugpa said:

Geoff

it's being released on 4k blu ray in december in the states with a preorder up. i guess the same will happen for the uk soon

TRENDING THREADS