Wondering how to improve system with £500

N.Cassidy

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Posted this on another forum yesterday and got some interesting responses. Wondering what you think?

I have the following system:

Cyrus 8 amp
Arcam CD73
Ruark 'Etude' speakers

I have a significant birthday approaching and will have in the region of £500 to spend.
This is my main 2-channel setup and I use it mainly to listen to Classical music. This is mostly large-scale orchestral pieces.

My own thoughts, at a guess were to upgrade the CD player? I am considering a secondhand cyrus CD6 (SE or SE2), or maybe an earlier cyrus 8CD depending on prices.
I mostly like the sound of my current setup. However, where individual instruments sound clear, a full orchestral sound can sometimes have a slightly muffled bass (even at quieter volumes.)

The other day, I hooked up a recently replaced Cambridge Audio DVD99 to try some SACD's in 2-channel. The sound was less heavy, but more defined than the Arcam. This made me think I could get more from my CD playback.

However I modify my system, I would really like to get more clarity and a soundstage with more depth. I am not fixed on the cyrus (though it matches!) or a cd player and do not mind buying equipment secondhand to get a better model.

Many thanks,

Nigel

pgoody

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

What about a DAC to improve your CD players sound. Something like the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC ( http://www.whathifi.com/review/musical-fidelity-m1-dac ) would be in your budget and you would still have some money to spend. If you have digital lossless music on a PC or Mac you could connect a Squeezebox touch to the MF M1 and have a great source.

The good thing about adding a DAC to your system is that you can improve more than one source.

pg

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I went from a CD72T to a CD192. Made a big improvement. Only downside is you'll have to go used if you want to hunt one down, so no demoing beforehand.

Perhaps a DAC might be the way to go, something with 192 thingummywatsit upsampling.

N.Cassidy

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Have had lots of replies suggesting that I change my speakers on the other forum.

I would like to change to floor-standers with two young boys in the house. Any suggetsions for c £500? (secondhand)

N.Cassidy said:
Have had lots of replies suggesting that I change my speakers on the other forum.

I would like to change to floor-standers with two young boys in the house. Any suggetsions for c £500? (secondhand)

Deffo speakers. I've heard Ruark Sabre III and are wonderful speakers but not a good match with Cyrus. They are both bright.

Standmounts: Dynaudio 2/6, Epos M12i.

Floorstanders: Q Acoustics 2020 (?). Noth heard them TBH but from what I've read should be okay with Cyrus. Or perhaps Wharfedale Diamond 10.4

N.Cassidy

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the comments.

As I am looking at the secondhand market, I am unable to hear some of the speakers.

I understand that the Cyrus amp has a very distinctive sound and would love some thoughts on the list of recommended speakers I have received so far. Which might be most suited?

By the way, what is distinctive about the Cyrus sound that provokes love/hate reactions?

Thanks again!

Tannoy d500

Tannoy revolution DC6T (not SE)

Neat Motive 2

Ruark Prologue (1 or 2), Ruark Sabre III, Ruark Talisman II

Spendor A3

Dynaudio, any around 500-600

Rega RS3/RS5

Choice-a-plenty!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Could you sell the Etudes and add the money to the £500 to get some floorstanders? IMHO if the basic signal producing system is sound (and I haven't heard yours) then the greatest gain comes from improving the signal to sound device, ie the speakers.

Chris

A

Anonymous

Hi Nigel,

I've just put a set of Ruark Prologue II's (Natural Oak) on Ebay. I'd be happy to demo them with your own equipment if you like and you are local enough (Braintree, Essex).

Thanks,

David

TRENDING THREADS