Wish this forum had better moderation.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
MrReaper182 said:
Tonestar1 said:
MrReaper182 said:
Tonestar1 said:
Hi,

I used to post often on here but I think the lack of moderation, whilst quite annoying at times has led to the detriment of it, so I no longer post very often. WHFI have clearly came to a decision that this forum is not a revenue generator and have stood back from moderating. It's went back to the wild west of mid- ninties chatrooms.

To me that's a stupid decision, WHFI missed a trick on a classifieds section through inaction. Look where AV Forurms and the like of Hi-Fi Wigwam are now.

The amount of abuse on here currently is unacceptabe, comes from people who seem to think they are golden members, and puts new users off from joining. Now every other thread seems to descend into disagrement and abuse. To all of the long term golden members, you know who you are, your role in keeping the forum alive is in no doubt. However your role in turining the forum from an open inclusive envirnonment into a dying entity is also in no doubt in my mind. All I see nowadays, is bickering, bullying and general abuse. I cant recall the last time i seen a welcome to the forum to a newbie poster from any of you. That used to be commonplace, everyone who was a first time poster( spam excluded) got a welcome note. No longer the case, you should hang your head in shame, you have wrecked it. Maybe through lack of moderation to keep you under control but you have destroyed it through your actions. Don't blame the lack of moderation on lack of self control.

When I joined 2 and a bit years ago I got a lot of welcomes from long term users. Also I have not once been the victim of abuse in that time. I don't come on this site all lot but when I do it's there is mostly a calming relaxing atmosphere. You are making mountains out of mole hills as It's norewhere near as bad as you make it out to be.

Think I have been on here for over six years and I remember things being a lot more friendly. Quote below is a perfect example. I'm not trying to have a go at that specific individual but comments like this would not have been tolerated.

"Do you not understand? Other than gel NO ONE LIKES YOU. Go away you odious individual."

Neither would be this...

"Talking wood? Ent maybe? or maybe would? Talking would raise the hackles of sensitive people? Talking would be a waste of time to a rock? A Ent would talk given a hobbit! Money talks Ents won't!...What wood say if it would talk?"

Moderation prevents this type of reaction as does self control. If someone is being an arse then you need someone to report it to. Fuelling the fire rather than using self control doesn't help the matter. It just fans the flames. Makes it an uncomfortable place to be, especially for a new user. Best way to deal with a troll is to ingnore a troll.

That is out of order for PP to be saying that sort of stuff but he Kotq most of said something to wind PP up for him to come out with that. I been in a few heated debates on the site and everyones been nice to me.

Totally justified. He is a ghastly person. I make no apologies for saying it.

Read this.

And this.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
MrReaper182 said:
Tonestar1 said:
MrReaper182 said:
Tonestar1 said:
Hi,

I used to post often on here but I think the lack of moderation, whilst quite annoying at times has led to the detriment of it, so I no longer post very often. WHFI have clearly came to a decision that this forum is not a revenue generator and have stood back from moderating. It's went back to the wild west of mid- ninties chatrooms.

To me that's a stupid decision, WHFI missed a trick on a classifieds section through inaction. Look where AV Forurms and the like of Hi-Fi Wigwam are now.

The amount of abuse on here currently is unacceptabe, comes from people who seem to think they are golden members, and puts new users off from joining. Now every other thread seems to descend into disagrement and abuse. To all of the long term golden members, you know who you are, your role in keeping the forum alive is in no doubt. However your role in turining the forum from an open inclusive envirnonment into a dying entity is also in no doubt in my mind. All I see nowadays, is bickering, bullying and general abuse. I cant recall the last time i seen a welcome to the forum to a newbie poster from any of you. That used to be commonplace, everyone who was a first time poster( spam excluded) got a welcome note. No longer the case, you should hang your head in shame, you have wrecked it. Maybe through lack of moderation to keep you under control but you have destroyed it through your actions. Don't blame the lack of moderation on lack of self control.

When I joined 2 and a bit years ago I got a lot of welcomes from long term users. Also I have not once been the victim of abuse in that time. I don't come on this site all lot but when I do it's there is mostly a calming relaxing atmosphere. You are making mountains out of mole hills as It's norewhere near as bad as you make it out to be.

Think I have been on here for over six years and I remember things being a lot more friendly. Quote below is a perfect example. I'm not trying to have a go at that specific individual but comments like this would not have been tolerated.

"Do you not understand? Other than gel NO ONE LIKES YOU. Go away you odious individual."

Neither would be this...

"Talking wood? Ent maybe? or maybe would? Talking would raise the hackles of sensitive people? Talking would be a waste of time to a rock? A Ent would talk given a hobbit! Money talks Ents won't!...What wood say if it would talk?"

Moderation prevents this type of reaction as does self control. If someone is being an arse then you need someone to report it to. Fuelling the fire rather than using self control doesn't help the matter. It just fans the flames. Makes it an uncomfortable place to be, especially for a new user. Best way to deal with a troll is to ingnore a troll.

That is out of order for PP to be saying that sort of stuff but he Kotq most of said something to wind PP up for him to come out with that. I been in a few heated debates on the site and everyones been nice to me.

Read this.

And this.

By not ignoring him all your doing is feeding him. Don't get so wound up by him. I'm sure sleep is a million times better.

MrReaper182 said:
plastic penguin said:
MrReaper182 said:
Tonestar1 said:
MrReaper182 said:
Tonestar1 said:
Hi,

Neither would be this...

Read this.

And this.

By not ignoring him all your doing is feeding him. Don't get so wound up by him. I'm sure sleep is a million times better.

This is why I've asked for better moderation. If this happened 3-4 years ago we would been told to pipe down and his most acidic posts would have been culled. If he ignored that he would end up getting banned.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Do we really want members who (1) have admitted they have no interest in HiFi (2) frequently interupts reasonable posts with unrelated monologue (3) do not understand basic forum etiquette (4) repeatidly spams long posts of 'nonsense' (4) appears to be nothing less than an Internet troll.

I wonder how many other forums he has been banned from and how did he come across this one with no interest in the subject or content.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
A couple of years ago we got heavily criticised for overly draconian moderation, so we deliberately adopted a lighter touch. Most Forums on most websites tend to get feisty or argumentative at times, that's the nature of the internet (for better or worse). Is it too much to expect people to behave like grown-ups online? Probably. So do we then have to constantly treat people like naughty schoolchildren?

It's hard to find the right balance. If someone is annoying you, it's usually best to ignore them. We can strengthen the moderation, but that will almost certainly be followed by howls of protest about stifling free speech. On some of our other sites, we ended up shutting the Forums down completely because they became impossible to manage. I'd rather avoid that here, so please everyone, calm down and try and behave sensibly.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
A couple of years ago we got heavily criticised for overly draconian moderation, so we deliberately adopted a lighter touch. Most Forums on most websites tend to get feisty or argumentative at times, that's the nature of the internet (for better or worse). Is it too much to expect people to behave like grown-ups online? Probably. So do we then have to constantly treat people like naughty schoolchildren?

It's hard to find the right balance. If someone is annoying you, it's usually best to ignore them. We can strengthen the moderation, but that will almost certainly be followed by howls of protest about stifling free speech. On some of our other sites, we ended up shutting the Forums down completely because they became impossible to manage. I'd rather avoid that here, so please everyone, calm down and try and behave sensibly.

As part of my work, I have to manage 3 networks/communities/forums, and one of the rules when setting them up, is that members can criticise the ideas of other members, but not criticise/insult the member themselves. I have always been under the impression that such a rule, was 'generic' for all networks/communities/forums, wherever they were created.

This forum does generate some threads where plenty of 'criticism of ideas' takes place - but such open and robust discussion is part of the lifeblood (and free speech) of many forums, and it would be a pity to lose it. I get the impression that Andy is happy with the 'criticism of ideas' element. If I was the moderator, i would apply the light touch to these threads.

The problem arises with the threads which degenerate into 'criticise/insult the other member(s)', such as this thread. If I was the moderator, i would apply the heavier touch to these threads. I know that it would not be popular with some individuals, but that is life. Freedom of speech does not include freedom to insult, although some members will disagree with me on that point.

K

keeper of the quays

RobinKidderminster said:
Do we really want members who (1) have admitted they have no interest in HiFi (2) frequently interupts reasonable posts with unrelated monologue (3) do not understand basic forum etiquette (4) repeatidly spams long posts of 'nonsense' (4) appears to be nothing less than an Internet troll.

I wonder how many other forums he has been banned from and how did he come across this one with no interest in the subject or content. 
Linn turntable, quad 909 power amp, musical fidelity htp 6000 pre amp, quad cdp2, dac magic, 640p phono stage, music first step up transformer, acoustic energy ae1 mk3 speakers.I use a variety of interconnects! Lfd,van den hul etc...the equipment I don't use anymore is Sony xb 940 super audio cdp, Sony xb 940 amplifier, arcam diva cd/dvd player, roksan Kandy amp and roksan Kandy cdp, audiolab pre amp, mission pcm 7000, tannoy f1 custom, mordaunt short 902i, dynaudio 42, dynaudio 40 plus many other things..I have a collection of very rare classical records and 25 American Jazz recordings which are very valuable! All in I own about three thousand lps, I also collect rare 78s one of my prized possessions is a 78 of john McCormack singing "I hear you calling me" this record has his signature on it! So I would at this point say? Pardon my ignorance on high fidelity matters! Perhaps you can point out to me where my ignorance starts and finishes?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
Linn turntable, quad 909 power amp, musical fidelity htp 6000 pre amp, quad cdp2, dac magic, 640p phono stage, music first step up transformer, acoustic energy ae1 mk3 speakers.I use a variety of interconnects! Lfd,van den hul etc...the equipment I don't use anymore is Sony xb 940 super audio cdp, Sony xb 940 amplifier, arcam diva cd/dvd player, roksan Kandy amp and roksan Kandy cdp, audiolab pre amp, mission pcm 7000, tannoy f1 custom, mordaunt short 902i, dynaudio 42, dynaudio 40 plus many other things..I have a collection of very rare classical records and 25 American Jazz recordings which are very valuable! All in I own about three thousand lps, I also collect rare 78s one of my prized possessions is a 78 of john McCormack singing "I hear you calling me" this record has his signature on it! So I would at this point say? Pardon my ignorance on high fidelity matters! Perhaps you can point out to me where my ignorance starts and finishes?

Fantastic stuff can we hear more from you about your kit and your records and less of the faux Shakespearean drivel, thread derailing, and 'the keeper has arrived to liberate the forum from the grip of the old guard' attitude? I think that way we'll all get on just fine.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:

Have to admit I was wondering where Robin got the idea KOTQ had no interest in hi-fi.

Talking of 78s are Lonnie Donegan worth anything? I've got Tom Dooley/Rock of My Soul and Putting on the Style/Gambling Man on Pye Nixa.

My other half says here mum used to half all the Elvis 78 releases bit doesn't know what she did with them! Gutted...

K

keeper of the quays

MajorFubar said:

Fantastic stuff can we hear more from you about your kit and your records and less faux Shakespearean drivel and thread derailing.
hi major. Pleased your back mate..it wasn't my intention to drive you away with my hyperbole...my question is for robin as he has made some sweeping statements..And as mike pointed out, we can challenge ideas and not be personally abusive..im hoping robin will provide me the opportunity to rebutt his accusations...cheers

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

Fantastic stuff can we hear more from you about your kit and your records and less of the faux Shakespearean drivel, thread derailing, and 'the keeper has arrived to liberate the forum from the grip of the old guard' attitude? I think that way we'll all get on just fine.

+1. I think that there are many followers of this thread http://www.whathifi.com/forum/turntables-and-lps/what-vinyl-are-you-listening-to?page=596 who would be interested to hear your comments about some of your records. Given that the thread refers to vinyl, you may have to start a new thread for the rare 78s (shellac?).

K

keeper of the quays

The_Lhc said:
RobinKidderminster said:

Have to admit I was wondering where Robin got the idea KOTQ had no interest in hi-fi.

Talking of 78s are Lonnie Donegan worth anything? I've got Tom Dooley/Rock of My Soul and Putting on the Style/Gambling Man on Pye Nixa.

My other half says here mum used to half all the Elvis 78 releases bit doesn't know what she did with them! Gutted...
Get hypnosis to find the missing information she cant remember..seems Lonnie donegan is flavour of the month at the moment? EBay? Worth a punt? Records are only valuable to someone looking specifically for that artist! Or should I say more valuable!

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
RobinKidderminster said:

Is this a man with an interest in HiFi? Amongst others ..

"I would concur with yourself that threads can be interesting but serious? A serious thread about high fidelity..Are you trying to be funny robin? I see no humour in seriousness"

"This forum will sink without a trace if we all churned out the same turgid views on high fidelity..and when this happens? I'm sure the usual suspects will bleat and whine about their precious forum sinking amongst the surf! Trouble is the platform from which they wave their uninteresting google inspired flags from? Has sunk! The keeper is saving you lot from yourselves..."

D

Deleted member 2457

RobinKidderminster said:
The_Lhc said:
RobinKidderminster said:

"I would concur with yourself that threads can be interesting but serious? A serious thread about high fidelity..Are you trying to be funny robin? I see no humour in seriousness"

"This forum will sink without a trace if we all churned out the same turgid views on high fidelity..and when this happens? I'm sure the usual suspects will bleat and whine about their precious forum sinking amongst the surf! Trouble is the platform from which they wave their uninteresting google inspired flags from? Has sunk! The keeper is saving you lot from yourselves..."
I think you have been brain washed mate. *wink*

K

keeper of the quays

gel said:
RobinKidderminster said:
The_Lhc said:
RobinKidderminster said:

I think you have been brain washed mate.  *wink*
Very boring...yawn! Poor old robin, like a worn out 78! Unwind yourself mate! Your not as smart as you think you are! Move on rob..in the word game you were easily beaten! Stop wandering around the threads crying about it! Get over yourself mate..

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
RobinKidderminster said:
The_Lhc said:
RobinKidderminster said:

I think you have been brain washed mate. *wink*
Very boring...yawn! Poor old robin, like a worn out 78! Unwind yourself mate! Your not as smart as you think you are! Move on rob..in the word game you were easily beaten! Stop wandering around the threads crying about it! Get over yourself mate..

Sorry Keep. I was asked why I thought you were not interested in HiFi and I simply quoted your good self. I won't ask how a worn out 78 can unwind itself and telling me I am not as smart as I think makes me think "kettle". However, I remain chilled thank-you and as always I restrict my 'crying' to these few 'lets have a moan' threads and ofcourse, during onion peeling. Kind Regards

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I also dnt post a lot here any more. Some who seem to say its gone wrong here are the ones actually dirving people away. Cause now it seems it's them on them & them again. Anyone else who says or contribtues is seen as not in the party. I also noticed that many are exempt from moderation on here. It really sucks. The I know it all parties.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
I also dnt post a lot here any more. Some who seem to say its gone wrong here are the ones actually dirving people away. Cause now it seems it's them on them & them again. Anyone else who says or contribtues is seen as not in the party. I also noticed that many are exempt from moderation on here. It really sucks. The I know it all parties.

Native_bon,

I realise that you are peed off with this forum.

Do you feel able to add anything to this thread http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/looking-some-new-system-advice to help someone trying to build an Oppo 105 based system?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Sure there has been some critisism here by and towards some members but it is (now) largely died down and most importantly, restricted to a few threads, which are clearly recogniseable by their title. As well as a couple of 'moaning threads', there has lately been a good number of interesting posts which have been addressed sensibly with good advice, comment and debate.

So all is calm. :)

@Native - without being rude I don't quite understand some of your comment but it has clearly been your experience which is unfortunate.

K

keeper of the quays

Native_bon said:
I'm minded to agree with you native bon. I think my previous conclusions were more correct them I thought! However..this is a forum and it needs everyone's input! Yours especially..personally I'm horrified that my blather has caused people here genuine upset..And some may be Teflon? Lol..thats cool..they all seem to be nice people..and the glue that's holds all this together is our passion for fidelity..sometimes I speak before I think! I will be more thoughtful in the future..

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Am more or less easy going. Will just have to see how things move forward.
wink_smile.gif

jjbomber

Series1boy said:
jjbomber said:
Just in time for summer, good idea*dash1*

skiing in New Zealand is good in the summer, Mt Hutt and Queenstown are very good place to ski in July and August *mail1*

July and August are winter in New Zealand and not far off winter in the UK. What's the best day of the year in Britain? Summer.

I hope you went on the Shotover jet in Queenstown.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts