Wiring speakers with two different connectors

ravenheart

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
Not ideal, right?

So my situation is this, I've got a set of speakers at the moment with those Sony-standard 4.2mm round pin connectors on.

I'm going to buy a new turntable and amp, which of course accept phono connectors.

Technically I don't really need a new set of speakers, because the ones I've got are perfectly good for my needs. I could remove the Sony connectors and wire on some phono ones, but I have other kit those Sony connectors fit, and I still want to use the speakers for those.

I don't mind getting new ones if I have to, but I'd rather only do that if I can use them for both purposes instead. What I'm most trying to avoid is having to have two sets of speakers just to be able to use them with two different sources.

So, is it possible to somehow have dual connectors on the same set of speakers, then I can just switch the cables between the bits of kit?

Alternatively, does anyone know of a converter for Sony connectors to Phono, or vice versa? Or a switch? Is that a thing?

ravenheart said:
Not ideal, right?

So my situation is this, I've got a set of speakers at the moment with those Sony-standard 4.2mm round pin connectors on.

I'm going to buy a new turntable and amp, which of course accept phono connectors.

Technically I don't really need a new set of speakers, because the ones I've got are perfectly good for my needs. I could remove the Sony connectors and wire on some phono ones, but I have other kit those Sony connectors fit, and I still want to use the speakers for those.

I don't mind getting new ones if I have to, but I'd rather only do that if I can use them for both purposes instead. What I'm most trying to avoid is having to have two sets of speakers just to be able to use them with two different sources.

So, is it possible to somehow have dual connectors on the same set of speakers, then I can just switch the cables between the bits of kit?

Alternatively, does anyone know of a converter for Sony connectors to Phono, or vice versa? Or a switch? Is that a thing?

I think your terminology is a tad confusing. Speaker cables do not have phono plugs but are normally terminated with banana plugs. What are those speakers as not too sure what that Sony standard is you mention. What do you currently have those speakers connected to?

EDIT: Have just seen the connectors I think you mean. Are they twin shotgun like sockets that are used in home cinema type products? Surely those are for powered speakers.

iMark

We have an older Sony set with speakers with propietary connectors. One one of the things that always puzzled me that there is no easy way to extend the cable.

In your case you could think of cutting the connector of the cable. Then you put on a 'lustre connector' on the speaker cable. You can then connect a regular speaker cable to the connector or connect the propietary connector (obviously you need to have left a couple of centimeters of wire to the connector) and connect it back to the lustre connector.

Here's an example. You just cut of two connectors (for + and -) per cable. https://eshop.wurth.co.uk/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/3108-B1-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/ViewCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryRef=31085506040102%40WuerthGroup-Wuerth-3108&SelectedFilterAttribut=%255B%255D&CatalogCategoryID=T98KD92eLtoAAAFRXGxls8aM

ravenheart

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
Al ears said:
EDIT: Have just seen the connectors I think you mean. Are they twin shotgun like sockets that are used in home cinema type products? Surely those are for powered speakers.

Them's the ones. The speakers aren't independently powered.

Here's a photo.
19401991_1552334818173324_5578464594979469533_o.jpg

And the sockets they go into:

19399662_1552336381506501_3838426543310381006_n.jpg

ravenheart

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
iMark said:
Here's an example. You just cut of two connectors (for + and -) per cable. https://eshop.wurth.co.uk/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/3108-B1-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/ViewCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryRef=31085506040102%40WuerthGroup-Wuerth-3108&SelectedFilterAttribut=%255B%255D&CatalogCategoryID=T98KD92eLtoAAAFRXGxls8aM

OK, I see what you mean. Would those allow the speakers to be permanently plugged into both sources and simply output whichever source was switched on at the time, or would I need to keep switching the plugs in and out (not a big deal)?

Also, is there any degredation when using these?

ravenheart

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
insider9 said:
Have you got any model numbers for speakers or amp?

Al ears said:
What do you currently have those speakers connected to?

Oh, and to answer these questions a little bit. The Sony speakers I'm referring to are connected to a CD player (can't remember the exact model number off hand, but it's one of the NAS Giga Juke ones from 5 or 6 years ago). Haven't bought the amp yet, but front-runner at the moment is is the Marantz PM6006.

insider9

ravenheart said:
insider9 said:
Have you got any model numbers for speakers or amp?

Al ears said:
What do you currently have those speakers connected to?

Oh, and to answer these questions a little bit. The Sony speakers I'm referring to are connected to a CD player (can't remember the exact model number off hand, but it's one of the NAS Giga Juke ones from 5 or 6 years ago). Haven't bought the amp yet, but front-runner at the moment is is the Marantz PM6006.

Got it thanks. Is this it?

$

$

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You could lop-off the connectors and connect the speakers to a different amp, but what you can't and mustn't ever do is try to [butcher some way to] connect the speakers to two amps at once: you'll fry one or both amps.

ravenheart

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
I don't really want to connect to two at once, just to be able to connect to two different things one at a time. Unplugging them from one and plugging into the other is fine. I'm just trying to avoid having two sets of speakers when one will do the job.

ravenheart

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I assume the cables are fixed at your speakers? If you fancy a bit of DIY butchery you could always fit some inline plugs/sockets.

Sadly they are. But yeah, I see what you're saying. I could create a join part way down the cable to which I can attach different "extentions", one with one connector on the end, the other with a different connector on the end?

You know what I could really do with, is something like this, except with two inputs and one output, to use as an input selector: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/4-way-stereo-speaker-switch-box-n99kt

But they don't seem to exist.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't use the switchbox; they're really designed for pushing the sound from one amp through multiple speakers, rather than one pair of speakers through multiple amps.

ravenheart

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, exactly. Nobody seems to make one which takes two inputs to a single output. I've got one like that for all my HDMI devices into my TV, it's brilliant. An audio equivalent outputting to one set of speakers would be ideal. I guess in general there are too many variables with audio and too many things which could get blown if connected up wrong.

insider9

I would question of going for a budget vinyl setup. Any reason why you want to go with vinyl?

It's unlikely to come anywhere near CD sound quality at budget end of the market and would definitely be more costly when it comes to music.

ravenheart

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
insider9 said:
I would question of going for a budget vinyl setup. Any reason why you want to go with vinyl?

It's unlikely to come anywhere near CD sound quality at budget end of the market and would definitely be more costly when it comes to music.

WAY beyond the point of any of that being a consideration.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
a vinyl setup on this forum they are immediately told that they must be mad, its not worth it unless you spend thousands, it wont sound as good as cd etc, if you read the op's original question they mention no budget for this new system, for all we know they could be spending £50,000 on just the turntable.

In this day of mp3's and streaming we should be welcoming anyone who wants to get into vinyl ( the original format around long before cd's) and maybe recommending a good starter deck (there are plenty from Project and Rega).

*music2*

ps. by the way insider9, my project turntable cost me £130 about ten years ago, the only things I have done over the years are changing the cartridge, added a speed control, upgraded the power supply and finally changed the platter to acrylic, I have probably (never counted) over 2000 pieces of vinyl and depending on the quality and mastering of the vinyl, my Project deck can hold its own in the sound stakes against my cd player (a Naim CD5).

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
If your buying a new amplifier like the marantz Pm6006 then I would buy new speakers as well as the new amplifier will give you a lot better quality sound then the Sony did .

buying new speakers or secondhand ones which there are plenty on eBay will give a much better sound then those old Sony speakers did and probably the Sony speakers are very low watt speakers something like 15 or 20 watts max so a marantz PM6006 will be over powered for those little Sony speakers .

but failing that if you love your old speakers so much just cut the plugs off .

insider9

macdiddy said:
a vinyl setup on this forum they are immediately told that they must be mad, its not worth it unless you spend thousands, it wont sound as good as cd etc, if you read the op's original question they mention no budget for this new system, for all we know they could be spending £50,000 on just the turntable.

In this day of mp3's and streaming we should be welcoming anyone who wants to get into vinyl ( the original format around long before cd's) and maybe recommending a good starter deck (there are plenty from Project and Rega).

*music2*

ps. by the way insider9, my project turntable cost me £130 about ten years ago, the only things I have done over the years are changing the cartridge, added a speed control, upgraded the power supply and finally changed the platter to acrylic, I have probably (never counted) over 2000 pieces of vinyl and depending on the quality and mastering of the vinyl, my Project deck can hold its own in the sound stakes against my cd player (a Naim CD5).

I don't even call mad people "mad" as it's not for me to judge. I think you read too much into what I wrote.

I thought it may be helpful to OP if someone raised this point. It's not a criticism. For the money it's much easier and cheaper to build a digital system than analogue. Second hand CD players are cheaper than turntables. Vinyl records cost a fraction of CDs. It's difficult to know whether OP is aware of this as it may be helpful.

I'm glad you're enjoying your system.

ravenheart said:
WAY beyond the point of any of that being a consideration.

No worries, hope you enjoy!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
IMO Insider9 (and others) are right to try to help vinyl newbies manage their expectations. I couldn't be more in favour of new people coming to the format, but the idiosyncracies which go with it are foreign to a generation which only know MP3s and CDs.

There's a lot to love in owning, playing and collecting records, which contributes to the whole experience. But as a complete newby, there's a lot to take you by surprise as well. You only have to look at some of the recent enquiries we've had to realise that some things 'old boys' like ourselves take for granted as part and parcel of the experience are alien to the new generation of budding enthusiasts.

ravenheart

Jun 25, 2017
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
If your buying a new amplifier like the marantz Pm6006 then I would buy new speakers as well as the new amplifier will give you a lot better quality sound then the Sony did .

buying new speakers or secondhand ones which there are plenty on eBay will give a much better sound then those old Sony speakers did and probably the Sony speakers are very low watt speakers something like 15 or 20 watts max so a marantz PM6006 will be over powered for those little Sony speakers .

but failing that if you love your old speakers so much just cut the plugs off .

They're 30W ones, so good enough, and cutting the plugs off wouldn't actually have helped my problem, because then I wouldn't be able to plug them into the CD player anymore. I wanted a solution that would allow me to plug them into both the Marantz, and the CD player, which have different connections.

But ultimately, yes, I have decided "f**k it", and will be buying a speaker upgrade as well, and moving the CD player and the older speakers to another room. Best of both worlds for a little more money.

Thanks all for the advice :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts