Wireless over ears £150 budget.

Shildondurham

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I’m looking for some wireless over ears for above budget.
I listen to lossless streams or cd.
My hit list is detail depth clarity and musicality.
I prefer over ears as I feel on ears never feel in the right spot.
Do I NEED aptx or 5.0?
Do I need to spend more?
Any recommendations or pointers greatly appreciated. Iv tried AKG N60 and liked them. Only problem was on ear not over.

Shildondurham

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Kind of in regards to where I can sit. I want to listen using my streamer or amp and it’s on far wall from where I sit. I could get a long wire if sound quality is notably better wired.
Are even decent Bluetooth not as good as made out??

Gray

Are even decent Bluetooth not as good as made out??
Good BT headphones would have to be better than poor wired ones.
But pound for pound wired would always be my choice - always ready to work, perfectly.
+ lag-free TV sound (if that's important).
And it would open up your choice of models....EDIT: exactly what Al just said before me.
Don't let 8 ft distance deter you.
An unobtrusive extension wire along a skirting board to a fixed socket works well.
(And the wire on some is already 3 metres long).

Shildondurham

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Really?? Wireless is obviously a great bonus from a practical use and I was under the impression the newer aptX or Ldac bandwidths gave great results.
Iv never had any experience of audioTechnica, are they good yeah? I was looking at the soundmagic cans, I have had the E11 in ears for years and always liked them. Not sure how the brand does at higher end stuff.
Iv also been looking at the wired AKG last night, they have some well thought of wired sets. Like iv said detail and soundstage are high on my desires.
Thanks.

Dom

"Iv never had any experience of audioTechnica, are they good yeah?"

I can't say they are better than Sony or other brands, all I can say is that they have a wonderful presentation. When choosing a pair of headphones, budget is the number one concern and they fell within that budget for my mum. Just went on a whim and was pleasently suprised.

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

..detail and soundstage are high on my desires.
What you really need to bear in mind is that, just like with speakers (because that's what they are), headphone sound signatures are extremely personal.

To make the point.
Those AT that Dom is recommending; Dom loves them and he's not alone. But one of the biggest headphone enthusiasts on the forum, thought they were the worst headphones he'd ever heard.....same enthusist thought the AKG K712 Pro were excellent.....I bought a pair...and returned them. They were not as good as my Sennheiser HD 560S, which I think are great.
Another poster bought the 560S and returned them - too much treble for his (young) ears.
I think you get the message. Only you can say what is right for you.

I note your sound preferences, so I will tell you this:
For the money (I paid £152 from Sennheiser Direct) you're unlikely to find a more detailed, neutral headphone than the 560S.
Soundstage could be (and often is) worse too.
Those are facts...take them as a guide rather than a recommendation, because recommendations are so often meaningless.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Dom

I bought them on the name alone. I was looking for over ear headphones because that's what my mum asked for. I wondered to myself what would mum like interms of sound, I saw Audio-Technica ATH-M50x and thought hey, there the ones.

Thats the story. I didnt pour over reviews or audition like crazy. I mean that would be a job for mum, right?

Reactions: Al ears and Gray

Gray

Thats the story. I didnt pour over reviews or audition like crazy. I mean that would be a job for mum, right?
You saved time not reading what others think Dom. Every single pair of headphones has lovers and haters.

Your Mum is a more discerning listener than most. My Mum was an "as long as I can hear it, it's good enough for me" person.
(Funny enough though, she had the best ears of all the family).

Reactions: Dom
You saved time not reading what others think Dom. Every single pair of headphones has lovers and haters.

Your Mum is a more discerning listener than most. My Mum was an "as long as I can hear it, it's good enough for me" person.
(Funny enough though, she had the best ears of all the family).
As did mine, ears like a bat......
However, as much as I love the 560S, I cannot use open backed headphones in the majority of cases so tend to look for excellent closed back versions.

Reactions: Gray

Shildondurham

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
So just back to the original plot……can good Bluetooth say aptx or something similar give what wired can or is it still limited? Is the technology here yet or is it still a sacrificial experience?

Tinman1952

So just back to the original plot……can good Bluetooth say aptx or something similar give what wired can or is it still limited? Is the technology here yet or is it still a sacrificial experience?
In my opinion Bluetooth still cannot yet match a good wired pair of headphones. It’s a lossy and compressed protocol…BUT it can still be very enjoyable! It’s for convenience on the move and to get away from attached wires. I tried some Audio Technica ATH-M50xBT2 recently and they sounded very good indeed! Only you can say if it’s right for you... 🙂

Shildondurham

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Sat with my AKG K92 wired studio monitors on and very happy. I was hovering over £300 bluetooths but decided to give these a bash for £45 They very open and detailed just what I was after no brash bass. Wire not a problem 3m in the bank and now the kids can still have a Christmas. Not saying I won’t plumb for the Sony 4 jobbies 1 day cos I’m a sucker for reviews and every time I read about them I want them. But very happy thanks.
anyone else got these or any opinions on them?? Just out of interest.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS