Windows Media Player not recognising Album, Artist, Track titles etc.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, i keep having problems when trying to use the music files i have ripped from cd's. when i try to add them to windows media (v.11) library it wont recognise the artist or album name or track title and lists them all as unkown. very annoying! can anyone help please...? i used to use CDex to rip but i just tried with dbPoweramp and still the same problem.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
What format are you ripping to? If it's WAV, then there are no tags of course.

Other than that, I suggest not using WMP... Try Media monkey, Winamp, Foobar etc.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the quick reply frog. im ripping to FLAC. i might try those other media players though as im getting fed up with wmp!

John Duncan

ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:thanks for the quick reply frog. im ripping to FLAC. i might try those other media players though as im getting fed up with wmp!

yes, is rubbish - slowest searching I've ever seen.........

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:any others ou would recommend JD?

I personally use Helium, but it isn't free. But it's very powerful, and easy to use.
Media Monkey is similar, but I find it a little combersome. Although it is good, powerful, and can actually replace the IMHO awful iTunes if you have an iPod.

Winamp is quite powerful, and easy.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
i've recently switched to winamp because of the same kind of problems with FLAC and tags as you describe. I think its a pity as i really like wmp personally, but maybe thats just coz id never used anything else for a prolonged trial period.

how much is helium fr0g? is it a one off payment?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I've used wmp, winamp, media monkey and foobar over a period of time. I only use foobar now. Very basic. Not flashy. Does the job.

Allows additional components to be "plugged in". Of these, I use Columns UI.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:fr0g:the IMHO awful iTunes

Why, in God's name?

I just hate it. Any non Apple Mac user who hasn't got an iPod, persisting with this is crazy imo.

(I feel almost as strongly against WMP btw)...
But together they represent the worst kind of media player/manager (ie purposely restricted to a smaller set of codecs, and pushing you to their own agenda)... ANY of the decent 3rd party ones support ALL formats, and offer more in the way of support, choice, power, flexibility, etc etc...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Strange, I went from a Creative Audio MP3 player (I forget which now) to an iPod because iTunes was sooo much easier to use on a day to day basis. And also because the Creative Audio player was really rubbish (wanted to use a word beginning with "S" but remembered where I was!)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:Strange, I went from a Creative Audio MP3 player (I forget which now) to an iPod because iTunes was sooo much easier to use on a day to day basis. And also because the Creative Audio player was really rubbish (wanted to use a word beginning with "S" but remembered where I was!)

I still use a Creative, and much prefer it to the iPod I mistakenly bought for my missus. I love the fact I can drag and drop files onto the player (and back again), and they can be organised by me, in my own folder structure, and not get renamed to Z567zhnnnhhsh77656.mp3 or whatever.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:Fair enough. (never seen iTunes rename a file anything like this though. Confusingly, they're normally called the song title).

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:Fair enough. (never seen iTunes rename a file anything like this though. Confusingly, they're normally called the song title).

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site

No you wont see that name, its done internally. I installed the Rockbox firmware on the iPod, and it enables you to see the files themselves, rather than the fields from the DB that iPods use.

If it was my iPod, I would have stuck with that firmware too. But as well as being more powerful, it's less easy to use, so my missus didn't like it... ho hum

John Duncan

OK - I have no real desire to drag and drop files to and from the player, so this isn't an issue - and since I can't find anything that will do accuraterip for Mac, I'm kind of stuck with ALAC - but I just think the user interface is really, really good, both in design and responsiveness (this from someone who's read all 700 pages of the MS windows interface design guidelines.....).

What we really need is for Apple to open up the iTunes architecture to enable plugins (for FLAC, for example), in the same way that they've done with Aperture.......

TRENDING THREADS