Windows - Macbook pro question

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

After years of being a windows user I have decided on a change to a Mac.

Question is I have all my music ripped by EAC into FLAC on a HDD, will I be able to easily pay and install it on the new Macbook Pro.

Thanks.

abacus

No

You will need to convert them into ALAC (Or other Apple compatible format files) files, or download a 3rd party software player if you wish to play them natively.

Also remember that while all Apple products work seamlessly together, they are not very good at working with other products, and as you have been using Windows for years (And all your software and setup is built around it) it will take time an effort to get everything working as you want.

If you do decide on the Apple route, then there are Apple forums that will be able to help you out with the transition.

Hope this helps

Bill

Paul.

Yes, you can play back FLAC on a Mac, you just need to download one of the many edia players to do it. If you have any windows software you miss, have a look at paralells. It will allow you to run windows applications within OS X. You will need your old copy of windows.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
You only really need to convert the files if you really want to play them in iTunes (though why anyone would...)

Otherwise, VLC will play them perfectly well, though it's a bit kludgy; best bet is probably Nightingale, which rose from the ashes of the late-lamented Songbird, has a much more user-friendly interface and sounds good, too.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the that chaps, installing another player will do fine.

I'm assuming that I can still use the Squeezebox Touch wirelessly using squeezebox media server which is web based.....

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Interesting point about paralells, I didnt realise that you could run windows apps in a Mac.

I also run Lightroom 5 in my windows machine, does this mean I will need a new copy for the Mac.

Thanks.

Paul.

Sospri said:
Interesting point about paralells, I didnt realise that you could run windows apps in a Mac.

I also run Lightroom 5 in my windows machine, does this mean I will need a new copy for the Mac.

Thanks.

lightroom used to have cross platform licenses, but don't know if that is still true. Creative suite apps are definately not cross platform licenses.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Nothing much, except some people hate iTunes with a passion. Many though (including myself), think it's a perfectly good music library / playback device. And yes, I have tried a few thanks, and iTunes is still my preferred option on the Mac.

It may well be that the Windows version is a bit rubbish (Safari seems to be, so wouldn't surprise me), and this is where perspectives differ.

AlbaBrown

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Apart from usability (which is a personal preference matter), like a number of Media Playback programs, you have to rely on 3rd party plugins to ensure bit accurate playback. But iTunes is no more guilty of this than many.

It's one of the (many) reasons I won't have a computer involved with music replay through my system.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I use iTunes all the time, what am I missing?

Apart from the unwieldy size, its limitations and its 'world domination by Christmas' efforts to take over your music, your computer and probably your life, there's no shortage of better-sounding player software out there.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Weirdly, now I've seen this thread, I've just checked and iTunes has actually decided what I should now be eating and ordered all my groceries online from Tesco without asking me. I've decided this is okay though, as I clearly can't really have any of my own opinions, so I guess I'm happy to let Apple decide everything for me.

Ooo, Hay Day has just downloaded...

TRENDING THREADS