WiiM Pro Plus

burnHard

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Please excuse my ignorance for this question but,over the past 6 years since I retired I have listened to music through my headphones only (I have no hi fi set up) by connecting my Dragonfly Cobalt or my iFi audio xDSD to my laptop and headphones,then listen to music from Amazon HD, I'd like to get better 192kbps quality,so I have purchased the WiiM Pro Plus,I connected it to my router direct by ethernet but,I have no idea how to get the music to my headphones,can I connect to the iFi xDSD or do I need to buy a headphone amp with analogue inputs outputs??
When your in your 70's things get a bit tricky.

jjbomber

Amazon HD through the Dragonfly Cobalt should already have been in CD quality. Not sure why you were only getting 192kbps, when CD is 1,411kbps. I would check in your setting first, as you may have set it up for the lowest bitrate instead of the highest.
You shouldn't need the Wiim Pro Plus.

Gray

can I connect to the iFi xDSD or do I need to buy a headphone amp
Your iFi is a headphone amp and the Wiim can connect to it digitally, using the appropriate (optical toslink or RCA coaxial) cable. You will then be using the DAC in the iFi instead of the one inside the Wiim.

You can then see if you prefer the sound of the iFi to that of the Dragonfly.
You might also prefer not needing the laptop to be part of your streaming setup (which might be as good a reason as any for owning the Wiim).

Last edited:
Amazon HD through the Dragonfly Cobalt should already have been in CD quality. Not sure why you were only getting 192kbps, when CD is 1,411kbps. I would check in your setting first, as you may have set it up for the lowest bitrate instead of the highest.
I expect the OP means 192kHz/24bit as that’s the best available streaming service from most providers

Reactions: record_spot

Fandango Andy

Please excuse my ignorance for this question but,over the past 6 years since I retired I have listened to music through my headphones only (I have no hi fi set up) by connecting my Dragonfly Cobalt or my iFi audio xDSD to my laptop and headphones,then listen to music from Amazon HD, I'd like to get better 192kbps quality,so I have purchased the WiiM Pro Plus,I connected it to my router direct by ethernet but,I have no idea how to get the music to my headphones,can I connect to the iFi xDSD or do I need to buy a headphone amp with analogue inputs outputs??
I think it has been covered by the other answers but to confirm.

I take it you have downloaded the WiiM app and gone through the setup. Your device you are using to control it needs to be on the same network (doesn't mater if its connected by WiFi, its only controlling the player not streaming the music). You can use the WiiM or the Amazon app to play music. If you use the Amazon Music app you will have to use the "cast" button to tell it to play on the WiiM. The WiiM app is better as the amazon one can drop out of sync causing problems if you want to stop, pause or change what you are playing.

Your iFi is a headphone amp and DAC. You will need to find a suitable compatible way of connecting this to the WiiM. I think they both have coaxial/TOSLINK (optical digital). So decide which of those is best for you. There is then probably some sort of switch on the two devices to say what output and input you are using (if there isn't, don't worry, some devices can detect it). This will bypass the DAC in the WiiM and use the one on the iFi. From here you can just use your headphones as you did before.

Hope this helps.

Out of curiosity why headphones, not loadspeakers?

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
CD quality is 44.1 kHz (44,100 samples per second). Sample rate quality is measured in 'samples per second' not 'bits per second'). The OP wants to get 192 kHz sample rate at 24 bit (i.e Ultra HD audio)... don't know why, if the material is mastered well (and converted for digital streaming with care) there will be no audible difference.

Reactions: DougK1

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Sorry to say, but by age 70 I doubt that you will hear any difference between 16/44.1 and 24/192...
in fact, you probably won't hear the difference at any age.
Just connect the xDSD to the WiiM with an optical cable (S/PDIF in) and use the WiiM app to select your music from your Amazon music account.
You could also conect the xDSD to your computer using USB but Amazon no longer has a desktop app and so your audio will be limited in quality by your web browser.

Reactions: AndrewF and DougK1

rob_wales

Feb 1, 2020
Visit site
I had to laugh at that. :) I'm winding up to 72 this year and I find things are getting less tricky. No mortgage, no ghastly work, no London, no time-schedules, yes, definitely less tricky. However my grey matter is getting flakey and I think I'll never understand HiFi, so afraid I can't assist you! :(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts