Windows 8 Pro upgrade edition £24.99

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

vpacalypse

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
It's certaily different.

Question for those who use chrome. There's a famous add-on called ad block plus.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus-beta/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

This blocks annoying ads all over google + youtube, also aids in not slowing down pc.

Does nothing like this exist for the IE on windows 8.

A

Anonymous

You can get it for £14.99......

Go to https://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com.

Windows 7 PC purchase information: Date of purchase *date within last 2 months.

Name of retailer *choose retailer.

PC Brand *choose brand.

PC Model *choose model.

It gives you a promo code, and you download and install from there.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
DistortedVision said:
Windows 8 is rubbish. I seriously wouldn't upgrade from Windows 7. There are very few corporate users upgrading to Windows 8.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443624204578058892291378504.html
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/enterprise/377674/will-businesses-avoid-upgrading-to-windows-8

I've been running W8 on my laptop since the first preview, and I now have upgraded Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 Enterprise on my main system.

It is a far more streamlined OS. It's snappier, it starts up much more quickly and is pretty simple if you're not a total technophobe. Yes there is a learning curve...took me about an hour to be 100% comfortable.

Not sure why I am even replying such a daft blanket statement though "Windows 8 is rubbish". That's a real cracker of an argument along the lines of "You smell of wee".

Windows 8 wants me to uninstall Alps Pointing-device for Vaio. In the previous screen, it did mention that there was an update available. If I uninstall it now, I won't be able to use the trackpad!

So, will I have to use a mouse temporarily, or is there any other way?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Possibly it was needed in an earlier version of Windows i.e. prior to a service pack or a certain update, but they've now got a driver included.

Or it might offer slightly more functionaility over the basic driver found in Windows e.g. for our work laptops, the trackpad works without the manufacturer driver, but you can't disable it, whereas you can with the Ultranav driver installed. I hate the trackpad on my work laptop as it constantly gets slightly brushed when you're typing and then clicks the mouse somewhere else meaning everything you type goes into the wrong place - so I've installed it to allow me to disable it!

A

Anonymous

I downloaded the 2GB files but the upgrade failed with various stop errors which appear to be my SSD cache drive, which I have now removed. Does anyone know where the Win8 files are so I can begin again by removing them please? Thank you. The current error reads "DLL initialization routine failed" and stop error 0x8007045a. Nothing on Google helps, I'm afraid.

ReValveiT

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I think if I wanted to 'upgrade' to Windows 8, I would much rather sell my (retail) copy of Windows 7 and buy Windows 8 retail.

MUCH less messy, and you can always transfer licences as and when you upgrade parts and/or build/buy a new PC.

these updates are likely an 'install once' deal. If you need a new motherboard or processor any time you'll basically loose the upgrade.

A

Anonymous

If you use my route, you can get it for £14.99 and then buy a DVD for £12.99. However, you can create media from the install, such as a DVD or USB drive. If someone can help my issue, very grateful.

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bigboss said:
michael hoy said:
bigboss said:
Quick question: will I have to reinstall Microsoft Office? I don't have the disc. Besides, I bought it through an NHS scheme which has now expired.

Hi BB,

Ignoring Windows 8 in the equation, you should uninstall Microsoft office from your device.

If it was purchased because the NHS Hospital had a select agreement and then pulled out of it, you lost the right to the license you use.

Really?? Why didn't Microsoft ever email me about it then? :?

I'll speak to them tomorrow.

It will have been part of the license you agreed to when buying it in the first place

See No.13 - http://www.microsofthup.com/hupuk/terms.aspx

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Windows 8 really sucks.

Trying to help a friend out with the upgrade install. What a mess! Installed Windows 8, no worries, except no wifi, no sound and trackpad problems. Phoned a friend who said I should have downloaded all the driver updates. OK, so downloaded them all, then have to install them. Couldn't even find them with this new interface, but we eventually did. Then had to go to the manufacturers website to find out how to install the updates. Eventually, 4 hours later, managed to install them.

Does it all work? Does it !!!. Now have to install the media centre, whatever that is.

I wish she'd bought a mac. I'm no computer boffin, obviously, but managed the mountain lion update in around 30 minutes without having to do anything.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
I wish she'd bought a mac. I'm no computer boffin, obviously, but managed the mountain lion update in around 30 minutes without having to do anything.

The last time I updated a friend's iMac it consisted mostly of ... (1) system backup (one cup of tea), (2) installing the OS (another cup of tea), (3) downloading updates (a bottle of beer, crusty bread, cheese and pickles).

About 0.5 percent of the time was spent actually doing anything (and even that mostly consisted of pressing 'ok' to proceed and entering an occasional password).

OneBoxSystem said:
I downloaded the 2GB files but the upgrade failed with various stop errors which appear to be my SSD cache drive, which I have now removed. Does anyone know where the Win8 files are so I can begin again by removing them please? Thank you. The current error reads "DLL initialization routine failed" and stop error 0x8007045a. Nothing on Google helps, I'm afraid.

There should be a shortcut on your desktop automatically created.

altruistic.lemon said:
Windows 8 really sucks.

Trying to help a friend out with the upgrade install. What a mess! Installed Windows 8, no worries, except no wifi, no sound and trackpad problems. Phoned a friend who said I should have downloaded all the driver updates. OK, so downloaded them all, then have to install them. Couldn't even find them with this new interface, but we eventually did. Then had to go to the manufacturers website to find out how to install the updates. Eventually, 4 hours later, managed to install them.

Does it all work? Does it !!!. Now have to install the media centre, whatever that is.

My update to Windows 8 Pro took around 20-30 mins without me having to do anything. My intervention was required only a couple of times when Windows 8 asked me to uninstall the Bluetooth driver & alps pointing device driver (the uninstall button was provided right next to the suggestion).

Scissor_digits said:
bigboss said:
michael hoy said:
bigboss said:
Quick question: will I have to reinstall Microsoft Office? I don't have the disc. Besides, I bought it through an NHS scheme which has now expired.

Hi BB,

Ignoring Windows 8 in the equation, you should uninstall Microsoft office from your device.

If it was purchased because the NHS Hospital had a select agreement and then pulled out of it, you lost the right to the license you use.

It will have been part of the license you agreed to when buying it in the first place

I've bought a student edition for £69.99 (it helps being in MSc programme :) ), with free upgrade to the next edition of MS Office.

http://store.digitalriver.com/store/msshgb/en_GB/DisplaySHProductDetailsPage/productID.242145400

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Scissor_digits said:
bigboss said:
michael hoy said:
bigboss said:

Hi BB,

I've bought a student edition for £69.99 (it helps being in MSc programme :) ), with free upgrade to the next edition of MS Office.

http://store.digitalriver.com/store/msshgb/en_GB/DisplaySHProductDetailsPage/productID.242145400

Helps around £69 better being a developer :)

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
There should be a shortcut on your desktop automatically created.
There is but removing the shortcut doesn't remove the files. Creating the installer simply asks to install, not download, so the files must be still there somewhere.

A

Anonymous

No, it doesn't download again, simply goes straight to install, then the error as described.....

*Edit: found them in User/<username>/AppData/Local/Microsoft/WebSetup. Fingers crossed this time.

A

Anonymous

All went swimmingly without the SSD cache drive. Super and love the interface.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts