Will B&W 683s2 suit a Marantz Pearl Lite Amp?

ksoundwerx

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
After some opinions of the above pairing.

Room is 17msq, amp is 70wpc.

I am thinking of moving on from my current 684s (s1) and upgrading to the 683 s2. I like low down punch and guts, so wondering whether the move to the next model up in size would offer me a bit more of that, and as such suit me better than the newer 684 (which is smaller drivers than my current model although well reviewed). Reason I ask is that I would like more punch than I already have. If not, the spend/outlay on new speakers might feel a touch wasted.

Many thanks for your advice - it could swing my decision!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
An amp change may be required rather than speakers.

Speakers can't produce what's not been sent to them.

But for what you'll pay for the New speakers it may be worth looking at amps within your budget new and 2nd hand.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I think the Pearl Lite is a great amp and an easy match for better speakers. You seems quite loyal to B&W so if your budget is around the £1200 mark, and you really want B&W I think 683s2's would be an excellent choice.

splasher said:
I think the Pearl Lite is a great amp and an easy match for better speakers. You seems quite loyal to B&W so if your budget is around the £1200 mark, and you really want B&W I think 683s2's would be an excellent choice.

Quite agree, knowing Marantz amps I would say it would have no problems adequately driving those speakers in a room the size of yours. They are actually more efficient than the 684's.

ksoundwerx

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Great stuff, thanks for the thoughts.

Yes I am loyal to B&W, and have been looking to move to the s2 models eventually. Not least for the reported performance improvments but I'm also tired of replacing tweeters that my nephew pushes in (3 now) - the covered tweeters of the s2 will save me some maintenance!

I suppose more looking for affirmation to know whether the amp is strong enough for the extra driver - interesting to read you say that the speakers are more efficient than my current pair.

The amplifier is not going to be changed for a good few more years. I'm very happy with it, and the accompanying SACD. If I do leave Marantz (which I am also loyal too) it will likely be for Rotel - another brand I have always admired and know pairs well with B&W. But this is a way off. Part of the reason I am considering the change is a nice set of lightly used 683s2 have appeared local to me for a good price. It would be more simple if I were buying new as I could demo them before taking the plunge! Worst case scenario, even if they do not meet expectations, I should be able to move them on without much financial loss. Just wanted to tap into this forums wealth of opinions to make the decision a bit easier - which it has.

Thanks! I will update once I have them...

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm..... I'd have a serious chat with the parents of that child.

Kids should know to respect other people stuff.

That said I cannot see how you'd expect your amp to deliver what you desire with an upgrade of your current speaker if it's not delivering now......

I auditioned a pearl lite thought the top end/midrange was a little congested - not idle conditions though.

But maybe a break up is required try another brand of speaker if unhappy - PMC GB1's or Focals.

I'd still say your speakers are fine and the better outlay should be on finding an improvement of your amp.

Was it Andrew who upgraded from the pm8005 to Aberwhatsumacallit and found a decent improvement.

The threads not to far down - not knocking the Marantz.....but....

D

Deleted member 108165

Thompsonuxb said:

That said I cannot see how you'd expect your amp to deliver what you desire with an upgrade of your current speaker if it's not delivering now......

I auditioned a pearl lite thought the top end/midrange was a little congested - not idle conditions though.

But maybe a break up is required try another brand of speaker if unhappy - PMC GB1's or Focals.

I'd still say your speakers are fine and the better outlay should be on finding an improvement of your amp.

Was it Andrew who upgraded from the pm8005 to Aberwhatsumacallit and found a decent improvement.

Nah, it was Sabbath, Tuxb. I own the same amp as the OP and am very happy with it, but then I don't run big floostanders as I'm not a basshound. My Marantz/PMC set-up definitely brought out the difference between Donna Summer and Toni Braxton, as in one can sing, and one can't *ROFL* I bet you still haven't bought any Donna have you?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
DougK said:
Thompsonuxb said:

Nah, it was Sabbath, Tuxb. I own the same amp as the OP and am very happy with it, but then I don't run big floostanders as I'm not a basshound. My Marantz/PMC set-up definitely brought out the difference between Donna Summer and Toni Braxton, as in one can sing, and one can't *ROFL* I bet you still haven't bought any Donna have you?

Please keep it decent. No talk of donna and toni please

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol......guilty as charged Doug, I couldn't bring. yself to buy Donna..... *blush*

Actually the DB1's could be a good call for the OP.....

Even if they make Donna sound better than Toni..... ;-)

ksoundwerx

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:

Hi.

The child was only 2.5 at the time, and did all 3 at the same time (both fronts and a 686 rear). Can't blamer a child for pressing the shiny silver things. He was not being disrespectful, the error was in me not fitting covers for the visit and the adults allowing him 20 seconds unattended. Beside the point though. New models will prevent this from other children in the future!

Also, I think you may be reading into my OP a touch too much... I will itterate I'm not at all displeased with my current speakers, and will not be changing amplifier. I really just wanted to know whether 683s2 will deliver a bigger performance than the old 684s, given the same amp/source. My assumption is that the later, bigger model should up the performance...

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Fair play....me, I'd be livid. ....lol.

Back to the amp still not sure how you'd expect a performance gain from a tweaked version and probably more demanding version of what you already have without upgrading the power unit.

A change of brand I would think would bring a more noticeable difference.

But if you have the hitch, scratch it.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Despite not agreeing that the Pearl Lite is limiting your setup, I do agree that the 684S1 to the 683S2 would be a very small upgrade. They both use 165mm bass drivers, the newer speakers have a slightly lower response according to the spec and is a full 3 way design but are also slightly less sensitive.

That said, sometimes you can get crazy money for your old stuff on the bay, so it could be a cost effective upgrade.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
i run a PM8005 - the desendant of the pear lite, and i have zero problems with its sound, the bass is deep, tight and controlled with my missions, i would not think of changing it regardless of what anyone says.

Do a home audition with the B&W's and see what you think, my guess is in theory they should be fine.

*EDIT - A lot of people using the marantz seem to find good partnering with the KEF R series, might be worth trying the R500 with them and see how you get on with them - dont think they have squidgy tweeters either so nephew proof ;o)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts