Will a Naim Nait 5i amp (50w) work with ATC SCM11 speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone know whether the latest Naim Nait 5i amp (£725-£750?) - which is 50w - work with ATC SCM11 (£850) speakers, as I am think of buying them and pairing them up? I read a review recently (I can't remember where) that suggested the ATC SCM11's could be be driven the latest Nait 5i (50w) amp, although every ATC SCM11 review after reading that says to pair them with a 100w+ amp. I love these speakers and desire the Naim amp, equally.

Thanks, in advance of a reply.

Mark W

A

Anonymous

The Naim is not the first amplifier that I would advise to use with the ATCs for several reasons. Firstly, it doesn't output that many watts or that many amps continuously, just for peaks and the damping factor is quite high which means bass would be lacking in depth. They also have a tendancy to be bright in the mid-treble, something which the ATCs do not need as they are effectively ruthless studio monitors. If you are only pairing them together because they are both 5 star winners then I would advise against it - just because they are both excellent products independantly does not mean when bought together they will match. However, if you are using a smooth CD player or turntable (think Primare, Arcam, NAD) they may sound good together.

For the ATCs, I would look at the Roksan Kandy amplifier or the Arcam A32 (for under £600 brand-new from Sevenoaks or Lintone Audio) which are more powerful and would be far more suited allies to the SCM11s.

For the Naim, look at Neat, B&W, Dali and Wharfedale speakers.

A

Anonymous

I own the nait 5i and have no doubts that it will be up to the job of driving the atc's. remember 50w is not the whole story. The nait 5i has a massive power supply so when the load ramps up it is capable of driving up to 500w into a 1 amp load. I suggest you demo the pairing as it is a fantasic amp however the concerns about the pairing beingÿcompatibleÿmay be more founded.

A

Anonymous

keweller:I own the nait 5i and have no doubts that it will be up to the job of driving the atc's. remember 50w is not the whole story. The nait 5i has a massive power supply so when the load ramps up it is capable of driving up to 500w into a 1 amp load. I suggest you demo the pairing as it is a fantasic amp however the concerns about the pairing being compatible may be more founded.

Yes I concur, the Naim is a very capable amp and will drive a quite insensitive speaker very well indeed, but as always a demo should be always be the deciding factor.............

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
keweller:I own the nait 5i and have no doubts that it will be up to the job of driving the atc's. remember 50w is not the whole story. The nait 5i has a massive power supply so when the load ramps up it is capable of driving up to 500w into a 1 amp load. I suggest you demo the pairing as it is a fantasic amp however the concerns about the pairing being compatible may be more founded.

'Massive power supply'? '500w into 1ohm'? - Where do you get those figures from? Naim? Not that it greatly matters but its a little amplifier with a good supply and adequate wattage, no more I'm afraid. Even the supernait does'nt do the power you just mentioned. I have to go by independent review measurements rather than Naim's own quotations. We had the little Nait 5i clipping into relatively easy to drive PMC's and a Rega Brio went subjectively 'louder'.

Anyway, if you like the ATC and Naim sound I can't see why they would'nt pair. Maximum volume/loudness would certainly be out of question though.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:'Massive power supply'? '500w into 1ohm'? - Where do you get those figures from? Naim? Not that it greatly matters but its a little amplifier with a good supply and adequate wattage, no more I'm afraid.

Merci beaucoup, Drummerman.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:drummerman:
'Massive power supply'? '500w into 1ohm'? - Where do you get those figures from? Naim? Not that it greatly matters but its a little amplifier with a good supply and adequate wattage, no more I'm afraid.

You're welcome young hughes but before you get too excited you probably find the little Nait has a relatively low damping factor in solid state terms in common with quite a few of the companies products and something that was clearly audible when it played with a number of speakers. Not necesseraly a bad thing though.

I would also guess that Arcams FMJ32 is no better or worse a match than the 5i. Although rated at 100 watts/ch it does'nt sound any more powerful than some amplifiers with half the power and it is dynamically rather 'limp' so I'd be very surprised if it will bring the best out of the ATC's. Something like AVI's Lab series integrated or CA's 840 would probably match better but I'm guessing here.

As always my opinion only.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:Hughes123:drummerman:
'Massive power supply'? '500w into 1ohm'? - Where do you get those figures from? Naim? Not that it greatly matters but its a little amplifier with a good supply and adequate wattage, no more I'm afraid.

You're welcome young hughes but before you get too excited you probably find the little Nait has a relatively low damping factor in solid state terms in common with quite a few of the companies products and something that was clearly audible when it played with a number of speakers. Not necesseraly a bad thing though.

I would also guess that Arcams FMJ32 is no better or worse a match than the 5i. Although rated at 100 watts/ch it does'nt sound any more powerful than some amplifiers with half the power and it is dynamically rather 'limp' so I'd be very surprised if it will bring the best out of the ATC's. Something like AVI's Lab series integrated or CA's 840 would probably match better but I'm guessing here.

As always my opinion only.

Yes, 100% the AVI, but I feel my Arcam is quite a gutsy amp - one just needs to crank the volume dial as clipping really doesn't kick in even at max (-0db) volume.

A

Anonymous

Hi Keweller,

Thanks so much for the reply. Sorry for this being so late.

BR,Mark W

A

Anonymous

In short, no.

The ATCs are quite hard to drive and due to the inefficiencies of passive designs, in general, you're going to need a powerful amplifier.

A good starting point will be ATC's own integrated. Other amps worth looking at might be Rotel 10 series, NAD Masterclass, or AVI Lab Series.

You're wasting your time with any Naim amplifier.

Why don't you email ATC and ask for a shortlist?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts