Wiim Ultra + Integrated Amp (its arrived)

Modecorp

Apr 26, 2024
Visit site
Hi all.

I’ve ordered a Wiim Ultra and want to hook it up to my system in the best way possible. My setup is currently as follows:

- Rotel RA-04 (OG not SE and with pre-out)
- SMSL SU-1 DAC (currently converting a MacBook Pro which the Wiim will replace)
- Project Debut Evo Carbon turntable
- B&W 685 speakers

My question is really also how I connect the Wiim to the Rotel (which I love) so I get the best experience. Do I then control volume from the Rotel or the Wiim? Is the Wiim Ultra DAC going to be an improvement on the SMSL?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenneth Fernandes

Gray

Regardless of how anyone else would do things, you'll soon have everything you need to test the options - and do it the way that YOU prefer.

Start by comparing the DACs then decide from there.
The difference will probably be subtle but enough for you to have a preference.

You know how to connect for your tests don't you?.....so that you know which DAC you're listening to.

The price (and look) of that Ultra has encouraged me to consider it.
It does more than I'll ever need it to though - so I'd still be spending too much.

Last edited:

Modecorp

Apr 26, 2024
Visit site
Regardless of how anyone else would do things, you'll soon have everything you need to test the options - and do it the way that YOU prefer.

Start by comparing the DACs then decide from there.
The difference will probably be subtle but enough for you to have a preference.

You know how to connect for your tests don't you?.....so that you know which DAC you're listening to.
Thanks. Not entirely sure on the process to compare DACs beyond physically trying the SMSL then the Wiim in isolation. Any pointers would be great.

Its the pre-amp of the Wiim with the integrated pre-amp of the Rotel I’m confused by. Essentially it would be doubling up right? Unless I plug the Wiim into AUX or TAPE? Do I max the volume on the Rotel and use the Wiim for control or vice versa? Sorry for what are probably very basic questions. Im a 90s hifi guy and its a little new to me 😄

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Thanks. Not entirely sure on the process to compare DACs beyond physically trying the SMSL then the Wiim in isolation. Any pointers would be great.

Its the pre-amp of the Wiim with the integrated pre-amp of the Rotel I’m confused by. Essentially it would be doubling up right? Unless I plug the Wiim into AUX or TAPE? Do I max the volume on the Rotel and use the Wiim for control or vice versa? Sorry for what are probably very basic questions. Im a 90s hifi guy and its a little new to me 😄
Don't worry about questions, we learn what we need to learn 👍

Start with a fixed, full analogue output from the Wiim (rather than variable) - connected via RCA to Rotel aux - to test Wiim DAC.

Then compare that with digital from Wiim to SMSL, analogue from SMSL to Rotel aux - thereby using the SU-1 as the DAC.

Avoid ever setting Rotel volume full up - one false move from the Wiim or its interconnections, could mean goodbye speakers.
(Although it's true to say that anyone using the Wiim (or anything else) into a power amp, is effectively taking the same 'risk').

I'd want full output from Wiim - or SU-1, into the Rotel aux....with complete control of volume by the Rotel.

Modecorp

Apr 26, 2024
Visit site
Should be good (and not much longer to wait, as it sees like it's been on the horizon forever).
And perhaps you wouldn't mind giving us some overall impressions - once you've had plenty of time to form some (y)
Absolutely. I’ll hook it all up and report back. 👍🏼

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
Just be sure it is the WiiM Ultra you wish to purchase. Recent news from WiiM that, unlike all its less expensive siblings, it will never be able to be used with AirPlay could be a showstopper for some. The reason for this is not fully known, but it may mean considering a Pro Plus instead.

Reactions: Modecorp
Just be sure it is the WiiM Ultra you wish to purchase. Recent news from WiiM that, unlike all its less expensive siblings, it will never be able to be used with AirPlay could be a showstopper for some. The reason for this is not fully known, but it may mean considering a Pro Plus instead.
I'd assume that if the OP required Airplay he wouldn't have considered it from the outset...

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site

Modecorp

Apr 26, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. 👍🏼

Yes I’ve been following that news the past week. To be honest, I’m going to hardwire in my turntable, and a CD Player, then use the Apps that feature for streaming playback.

Bluetooth is always and option of course (and yes I understand it’s lossy but then so is Airplay though not to the same extent). I don’t own Airplay speakers so my options are still open there too.

A lack of Airplay is no biggie for me and what the rest of it apparently returns for the money…well I’m not sure I’ll be complaining. Let’s see when it turns up.

Reactions: Hifiman

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site

Yes, you'll be "doubling up" with at least an additional pre-amp, additional amp, additional DAC, etc., though you'll be getting lots of software -some or all of which you may not have elsewhere- all in one place, some or all of which may be useful to you -at least for now.

Eventually, soon surely, most integrated amps, even higher-end ones, will be streaming networked integrated amps reducing the need for specialized, duplicating/superfluous streamers.

Gray

Eventually, soon surely, most integrated amps, even higher-end ones, will be streaming networked integrated amps reducing the need for specialized, duplicating/superfluous streamers.
It would avoid duplication - and people like the neatness of one-box solutions - but personally I prefer to keep any streamer separate from amps.

My last amp lasted a couple of decades - still works perfectly - I changed it because I wanted to, not because I was forced to.
Can you imagine any streamer lasting as long as even one decade? (people buy a phone now and do cartwheels of joy if it's 'supported' for as much as 2 years before becoming useless).

I get the point about doubling up though.
I haven't ruled out buying an Ultra, but reasonable though its price is, I'd still be paying for a DAC and a phono stage that I've already got.

Modecorp

Apr 26, 2024
Visit site
Indeed. My Rotel RA04 turns 20 this year and sounds better than ever.

With the integrated phono stage in the RA04 and the SMSL DAC I have, I ‘think’ the Ultra’s will easily supersede those in my setup.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Indeed again: My Cyrus One turns 40 next year. I supplanted it with the Rotel A12, at about 30, because I eventually had to have remote control! I had even Bluetooth-enabled it, quite crassly, at about 25. :)

I have ruled out buying a WiiM in any of its proliferate forms. ;)

Reactions: Gray and Modecorp

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
Indeed again: My Cyrus One turns 40 next year. I supplanted it with the Rotel A12, at about 30, because I eventually had to have remote control! I had even Bluetooth-enabled it, quite crassly, at about 25. :)

I have ruled out buying a WiiM in any of its proliferate forms. ;)
Indeed yet again: my Cyrus One turned 40 last year and the best sonic upgrade I ever made was to buy a WiiM Mini and stream to the amp via an optical connection to my existing Mojo 2. I use the digital volume control in the WiiM app which thankfully gets around the amp’s lack of a remote. I know doing the latter means the signal is no longer bit perfect but I honestly cannot tell the difference.

Modecorp

Apr 26, 2024
Visit site
My Ultra arrived yesterday at my local Sevenoaks Audio & Vision store and I picked it up this morning. Connected directly to my Rotel RA-04 via AUX and RCA connected my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo via the phono input, and my even more ageing Rotel RCD-856 CD player via Line In. This is all after I removed the Macbook Pro-into-SMSL SU1 DAC I was using to stream music.

Setup took around 10 mins including wifi connection and software update, room correction routine using my phone and the remote and Alexa/Spotify Connect integration. The unit has an unexpectedly nice weight to it and the fit and finish seems up there.

Know its not the most logical setup with it plugged into an integrated amp, but it works for now and my initial thoughts are I'm liking the sound. Streaming from Spotify sounds as good as the laptop-into-SMSL but I'll be experimenting over the next few weeks but introducing the DAC back into it all as comparison. No huge lag to speak of when it comes to screen responsiveness and track selection (it is there though), and for the money, I'm liking the touchscreen and flexibility. I'm also using Dance as the EQ preset which for me and the music I listen to, seems to add just enough body. Not tried Bluetooth yet but am sure its going to be as expected.

The phono stage sounds like its doing a good job with Beck's Hyperspace sounding pretty epic at decent volume.

One thing I cant for the life of me find is the VU meter! I've been through all the menu's but its so far eluded me, so if anybody knows, do let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_4209.JPG
    IMG_4209.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 4
  • WiimUltra.jpg
    WiimUltra.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 4

Modecorp

Apr 26, 2024
Visit site
Nice 👍

Why not logical?
You may end up preferring it that way - and it's how plenty of others will be using it.

I think you're the forum's earliest Ultra adopter.
Enjoy the tests.
Thanks. I think my OCD is struggling with my setups 2 x pre-amps 😆

Am impressed so far with the Ultra. Lots to dig into on audio options too.

Modecorp

Apr 26, 2024
Visit site
Small update. Although I don't use Apple Music or Airplay much, I'm interested to find a simple solution for those that are also early adopters and want to try too.

I bought a 3rd Gen Apple TV from eBay for £15 as it has the optical out. Set the Apple TV up on a TV screen (obviously!), and have now added to the optical in on the Ultra.

Currently I'm not able to find it on Airplay though, even though its powered on and connected with the Ultra's mode set to Optical. Its on the exact same network as my phone, and both Apple TV and phone are running the latest software.

Work in progress.

skinnypuppy71

Small update. Although I don't use Apple Music or Airplay much, I'm interested to find a simple solution for those that are also early adopters and want to try too.

I bought a 3rd Gen Apple TV from eBay for £15 as it has the optical out. Set the Apple TV up on a TV screen (obviously!), and have now added to the optical in on the Ultra.

Currently I'm not able to find it on Airplay though, even though its powered on and connected with the Ultra's mode set to Optical. Its on the exact same network as my phone, and both Apple TV and phone are running the latest software.

Work in progress.
Hi mode carp.....I might have a try with this configuration later today, my WiiM ultra arrived last week ( very impressed BTW) and I also have a 4th gen apple tv lying around doing nothing, it, I believe that was the last gen with the optical out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts