Wiim Ultra + Integrated Amp (its arrived)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

skinnypuppy71

If either of you early adopters ever play local FLAC from HDD/SSD into USB and / or use BBC Sounds, I'd be interested to hear of your experience with the Ultra.
(And how it compares with how you might previously have done it) 👍
Hi Grey, I've only had my ultra for a week or so, it's been spot on so far with me trying out Spotify via my little amazon fire tv box, Spotify and tidal connect straight from ethernet, it also found my roon core without any problems, which is excellent considering there's a good distance between both units. Sound quality wise, it's fantastic for it's price point, my listening is compromised by me siting the ultra and the Acoustic Energy ae1 active in my rather cramped summer house.lol. The bass is a tad boomy in there by no fault of any of those two products but my own for a desire for decent quality sound in that area, I have tried the room correction feature which worked to a point......I got the feeling it over compensated the bass reducing part, so I just left as is. It's a great unit and the touchscreen is also better than expected. I'm sure it'll have no problem with the hdd /ssd, bbc sounds? I'm not familiar with it but it does have a wealth of Internet radio broadcast stations with a number of BBC stations to choose from that can be easily added to the presets for quick access. Fantastic used as a pre amp also, which is how I've utilised it yes I can recommend this streamer dac,

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Hi Grey, I've only had my ultra for a week or so, it's been spot on so far with me trying out Spotify via my little amazon fire tv box, Spotify and tidal connect straight from ethernet, it also found my roon core without any problems, which is excellent considering there's a good distance between both units. Sound quality wise, it's fantastic for it's price point, my listening is compromised by me siting the ultra and the Acoustic Energy ae1 active in my rather cramped summer house.lol. The bass is a tad boomy in there by no fault of any of those two products but my own for a desire for decent quality sound in that area, I have tried the room correction feature which worked to a point......I got the feeling it over compensated the bass reducing part, so I just left as is. It's a great unit and the touchscreen is also better than expected. I'm sure it'll have no problem with the hdd /ssd, bbc sounds? I'm not familiar with it but it does have a wealth of Internet radio broadcast stations with a number of BBC stations to choose from that can be easily added to the presets for quick access. Fantastic used as a pre amp also, which is how I've utilised it yes I can recommend this streamer dac,
Great, thanks for that.
I'm glad you're happy and putting it to good use.

I've got the manual downloaded - and watched a few YT videos - to see how things work.
I see every input on the input selection screen....except USB.

You'd think the manual might've made a mention on playing from local storage, but unless I've missed it, it doesn't 🤔

Jasonovich

Great, thanks for that.
I'm glad you're happy and putting it to good use.

I've got the manual downloaded - and watched a few YT videos - to see how things work.
I see every input on the input selection screen....except USB.

You'd think the manual might've made a mention on playing from local storage, but unless I've missed it, it doesn't 🤔
I believe it has the same USB local storage feature as my Matrix i-4, you can connect the Ultra to your local network attached USB drive and wireless stream your own stored music files via your mobile phone.

I think, like the Matrix, you can only view your local storage files from your mobile. Even though the USB drive is connected to the device, you can't directly access the music files from your devices touchscreen, (but do check, I could be wrong). This is why I decided to purchase another Digital Transport, where I'm able to connect my SSD music files to DT USB-A input and DT USB-A output feeds into the Matrix USB-B input. This allows direct access to my music files, without having to fiddle about with the mobile. I can still use Matrix's USB-C's network storage input if I want the extra capacity.

I would have done the same if I had purchased the Ultra instead (and save £200ish), but shame it won't play DSD.

1723653388862.png

Last edited:

Modecorp

Apr 26, 2024
Visit site
Tidal are doing a 30 day free trial with and extra 30 days for £2, so figured I'd sign up. A little more laggy than Spotify on the Ultra, and the app is not hugely intuitive yet, but....that sample rate makes a world of difference.

Gray

Even though the USB drive is connected to the device, you can't directly access the music files from your devices touchscreen, (but do check, I could be wrong).
Well if you're not wrong Jason, that would not be good for me 😕

I've got a brother who's into just about every type of gadget - but not really hi-fi.
So I showed him a picture of the Ultra, pointing out what a reasonable price it is.
First thing he said was, "It's got internal storage right?"
He thought that was the least they could have done.
I know they can't do everything, but he sort of had a point - even just the capability to fit some would be nice.

Fair enough, it's called a streamer....but streaming my own FLAC files is what I do much of the time.
Even my RPi / Volumio can store music files (on the same SD card as the OS).

I naively thought I might at least be able to see and control SSD FLAC files on the Ultra's screen - without the need for a phone ☹️

skinnypuppy71

I've got a brother who's into just about every type of gadget - but not really hi-fi.
So I showed him a picture of the Ultra, pointing out what a reasonable price it is.
I know they can't do everything, but he sort of had a point - even just the capability to fit some would be nice.

Fair enough, it's called a streamer....but streaming my own FLAC files is what I do much of the time.

I naively thought I might at least be able to see and control SSD FLAC files on the Ultra's screen - without the need for a phone ☹️
Hi Grey, I've just hooked up an old wd 500gb drive I had lying around with music (flack) and photos on it.....the Wiim ultra recognised the drive and proceeded to scan the drive...it found all the music and even had a half decent index system....I just quickly played a song and it complied without fuss and even showed me the sample rate...16bit 44.1khz..if I remember correctly..lol.
Oh and on another note...if your looking for a affordable streamer that can utilise on board storage, the little Novafidelity n15d is a fantastic option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray and Jasonovich

Jasonovich

It's my take on it Gray.
Email WiiM customer services, they should give you a definitive answer.
There are conflicting comments on the web, and easy to claim something that later is proven to be untrue.
Richer Sounds product description kind of alluded to this. You can also ask them straight.
I will do further digging, if I come across anything contrary to what I've said, I'll certainly keep you in the loop. 😊

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Hi Grey, I've just hooked up an old wd 500gb drive I had lying around with music (flack) and photos on it.....the Wiim ultra recognised the drive and proceeded to scan the drive...it found all the music and even had a half decent index system....I just quickly played a song and it complied without fuss and even showed me the sample rate...16bit 44.1khz..if I remember correctly..lol.
Oh and on another note...if your looking for a affordable streamer that can utilise on board storage, the little Novafidelity n15d is a fantastic option.
I'm happy to be wrong here, thanks for putting this straight.
There you go Gray, Jason is talking out of his....... 😂 My apologies I must have misinterpreted the blah on Richer Sounds.

Gray

That's interesting, thanks (y)

I have previously looked into Nova Fidelity models - when they were using the Cocktail Audio name. My local dealer reckoned they'd evaluated them and decided not to sell them for reasons of quality :unsure:
(Knowing the dealer, it may equally have been because there wasn't enough profit in them).

Reactions: Jasonovich

Gray

I'm happy to be wrong here, thanks for putting this straight.
There you go Gray, Jason is talking out of his....... 😂 My apologies I must have misinterpreted the blah on Richer Sounds.
We all learn as we go along Jason, we know what we need to know.
I appreciate all comments (y)

Of course, if I was the type, I'd buy it from Amazon....and return it if I didn't fancy it ;)

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

We all learn as we go along Jason, we know what we need to know.
I appreciate all comments (y)

Of course, if I was the type, I'd buy it from Amazon....and return it if I didn't fancy it ;)
This is the blurb I read from Richer Sounds, WiiM Ultra product description

Alternatively, connect to your local network attached drive and wireless stream your own, stored music files.

I must have got brain fog, it kind of alluded to, use your wireless i.e your mobile to access your files.
Yes reading through it again, it was my misinterpretation.
😂

Gray

Just a couple of questions if you don't mind @skinnypuppy71 (and if you can remember)
After this stage:
I've just hooked up an old wd 500gb drive I had lying around with music (flack) and photos on it.....the Wiim ultra recognised the drive and proceeded to scan the drive...it found all the music and even had a half decent index system....
Just by using the Ultra's own display, was it possible to initiate playback of your FLAC?

I'm guessing the answer is no - and that you can only use the Wiim Home app (on the phone) to see a list, scroll through your FLAC files and hit play.

If it is possible to choose a file and start playback (from a connected SSD), using the Ultra's touchscreen....I'm about ready to buy the thing.
Otherwise....the appeal is reduced for me.

And am I right in thinking that your WD 500GB drive was taking its power from the Ultra's USB A socket (in other words, it's not a self-powered drive)?

Sorry to be a nuisance, but thanks if you are able to advise (y)

skinnypuppy71

Just a couple of questions if you don't mind @skinnypuppy71 (and if you can remember)
After this stage:

Just by using the Ultra's own display, was it possible to initiate playback of your FLAC?

I'm guessing the answer is no - and that you can only use the Wiim Home app (on the phone) to see a list, scroll through your FLAC files and hit play.

If it is possible to choose a file and start playback (from a connected SSD), using the Ultra's touchscreen....I'm about ready to buy the thing.

And am I right in thinking that your WD 500GB drive was taking its power from the Ultra's USB A socket (in other words, it's not a self-powered drive)?

He Grey, I'll check that out today ( off work) and yes my hdd was getting it's power from the wiim's usb socket.

Jasonovich

After this stage:

@Gray do it! do it! do it! do it!do it!do it! do it! do it! do it! do it!do it! do it! do it! do it!do it! do it! do it!do it!*

*pending positive answers to your questions, of course.
1724057470060.png
:)

Gray

🙂 You're like my gadget brother Jason.
If he fancies....a drone, oscilloscope, virtual reality flight sim, vision mixer, Nikon Z8, he's not rich but, you name it, he can justify buying it.

Anything I buy needs to be genuinely and routinely useful.
I've either got, or don't need much of what this Ultra can do.
Unlike you though, I don't need DSD capability and the lack of Airplay is irrelevant to me.

But, without me, they'll still sell all they can make - and good luck to them for providing some long-overdue value.

Jasonovich

After this stage:

Gray, check WiiM Ultra USB link below, hope this helps.

Jasonovich

🙂 You're like my gadget brother Jason.
If he fancies....a drone, oscilloscope, virtual reality flight sim, vision mixer, Nikon Z8, he's not rich but, you name it, he can justify buying it.

Anything I buy needs to be genuinely and routinely useful.
I've either got, or don't need much of what this Ultra can do.
Unlike you though, I don't need DSD capability and the lack of Airplay is irrelevant to me.

But, without me, they'll still sell all they can make - and good luck to them for providing some long-overdue value.
Sharing the love Gray :ROFLMAO:

skinnypuppy71

Hi there Grey, OK had a play about with the hdd connected to the ultra.....definitely need a phone /tablet to navigate through the it all......I don't seem to be able to select the USB as a input on the home screen on the actual unit itself, just in the Wiim home app.

Reactions: Jasonovich and Gray

Gray

Hi there Grey, OK had a play about with the hdd connected to the ultra.....definitely need a phone /tablet to navigate through the it all......I don't seem to be able to select the USB as a input on the home screen on the actual unit itself, just in the Wiim home app.
Thanks very much for trying that out - it's what I expected.

Enjoy your day off - playing tunes 👍

Reactions: skinnypuppy71

Jasonovich

Yes, same as Matrix Mini i-4, you need to use Home app on your phone. Works fine but you need your phone to navigate the contents on your USB.
That is why I got another digital transport, which allows direct access to the files. Nothing wrong using the phone but call me old fashion :)

Gray

Nothing wrong using the phone but call me old fashion :)
That sums it up for me too.
You're not really old fashioned, phones are used for enough (way too much) in life.

Now I am old fashioned; I bought my first smartphone (or 80 quid wonderphone, as I call it) to use as a remote control for a Raspberry Pi
If not for that, I'd probably still be using the little old dumbphone....which was old when handed down by gadget bro in 2002 - still working - still on original battery:
IMG_20230416_121958_MP.jpg

Last edited:

Jasonovich

That sums it up for me too.
You're not really old fashioned, phones are used for enough (way too much) in life.

Now I am old fashioned; I bought my first smartphone (or 80 quid wonderphone, as I call it) to use as a remote control for a Raspberry Pi
If not for that, I'd probably still be using the little old dumbphone....which was old when handed down by gadget bro in 2002 - still working - still on original battery:
View attachment 7273
It's going back 20 years or maybe longer, do you remember when the NOKIA was the in thing in mobile phones and a must have buy!
:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts