why radio 3 in hd not radio one

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
why is radio 3 given the hd treatment when radio 1 or radio 2 are not,
radio 1 and2 have far more listeners by far is this radio snobbery at work
for the upper classes, just like the money the arts get from the lottery to help ballet
or am i being paranoid your thoughts on this issue are welcome.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
dvdaudio:why is radio 3 given the hd treatment when radio 1 or radio 2 are not,
for the upper classes, just like the money the arts get from the lottery to help ballet

Your basic assumption is that classical music is only enjoyed by the 'upper classes'.
A smaller audience implies nothing about their wealth or social status. I have got into taxis where Radio 3 or Classic FM was playing. I don't think the drivers were members of the Aristocracy 'slumming it' (or earning a bit of cash on the side to afford get their gargoyles repaired!)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Or indeed that the 'upper classes' don't listen to Radio 1 or Radio 2. I'm afraid the OP is as guilty as inverse snobbery as he or she suggests the BBC is guilty of snobbery, and overlooks the point that, to quote the BBC,

"The service will also be available for selected special events on other BBC Radio Networks, starting with the Electric Proms on BBC Radio 2."

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
You could also argue that the music on Radio 3 lends itself to this treatment, whereas Radio 1.... Well, there are some things you can't polish

A

Anonymous

chebby:

Your basic assumption is that classical music is only enjoyed by the 'upper classes'.

A smaller audience implies nothing about their wealth or social status. I have got into taxis where Radio 3 or Classic FM was playing. I don't think the drivers were members of the Aristocracy 'slumming it' (or earning a bit of cash on the side to afford get their gargoyles repaired!)
yes mostly your assumption is correct i do think classical music is enjoyed more by poeple who can afford
the concert tickets, and is still listened to by a minority, compared to rock pop music lovers

radio 1 and 2 audiences out number radio 3 tenfold and taxi drivers who listen to classical music are looking for rich passengers and big tips imo

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site

I do think classical music is enjoyed more by poeple who can afford
the concert tickets,

Crikey! Have you been to pop/chart gig lately? £80+ for a ticket

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Or indeed that the 'upper classes' don't listen to Radio 1 or Radio 2. I'm afraid the OP is as guilty as inverse snobbery as he or she suggests the BBC is guilty of snobbery, and overlooks the point that, to quote the BBC,

"The service will also be available for selected special events on other BBC Radio Networks, starting with the Electric Proms on BBC Radio 2."
so why are radio 1 and 2 not getting hd radio first as radio3 has ,
why should gramaphone readers get hd music first is it because its classical music,
and rock pop lovers are treated second class as music lovers where hd radio is concerned,
and we are to be greatful for selective hd events when it suits the bbc it stinks of favouritism imho

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Not really worth manning the barricades for, is it? But glad to see it's now just Gramophone readers who listen to classical music...

dvdaudio:taxi drivers who listen to classical music are looking for rich passengers and big tips imo

Presumably by playing the music so loud you can hear the classical taxi approaching down the road and make an informed decision about whether to get into that one or the one playing TalkSPORT?

You really haven't thought this through, have you?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
dvdaudio:Andrew Everard:

so why are radio 1 and 2 not getting hd radio first as radio3 has ,
why should gramaphone readers get hd music first is it because its classical music,
and rock pop lovers are treated second class as music lovers where hd radio is concerned,
and we are to be greatful for selective hd events when it suits the bbc it stinks of favouritism imho

Because Pop music is so often heavily compressed that you wouldn't notice the benefit of the increased bandwidth, whereas Classical (or orchestral) music has a much larger dynamic range and therefore the increased quality of the broadcast is likely to have more impact.

I've no doubt that the very fact R3 has a smaller audience also made it an ideal target for what is effectively a trial run, as there would be less load placed upon the servers compared to the likely audience for R1, for example.

But any talk of "favouritism" is melodramatic nonsense if you ask me.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
dvdaudio:
and we are to be greatful for selective hd events when it suits the bbc

I seem to remember the Glastonbury HD coverage going on for eons...

But really, I very very rarely listen to classical music (I much prefer words with my tunes
emotion-4.gif
) and yet I totally understand Radio 3 getting the quality nod ahead of Radio 1 and 2.

The typical demographic is older and more likely to be listening on quality equipment, plus - and this is the key thing - the source material typically lends itself to better-quality reproduction. Can't say that for the majority of compressed pop.

Turn a dial on any radio and you'll find endless pop stations; turn on the TV and you have whole channels dedicated to it and its variants. I hardly think that makes classical music over represented (even by the BBC).

Anyhow, just do like the rest of us - cough up for Spotify Premium and enjoy the music you like, without interuption, in 320Kbps
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Lee H:dvdaudio:why is radio 3 given the hd treatment when radio 1 or radio 2 are not,

I do think classical music is enjoyed more by poeple who can afford the concert tickets,

Crikey! Have you been to pop/chart gig lately? £80+ for a ticket

Absolutely! I paid for my youngest daughter's ticket for 'Bestival' on the Isle of Wight last year... £183

Glastonbury was about £200

The price for a season ticket for the BBC Proms - for 76 performances between 16th July - 11th September - was £170 in comparison. (Or as little as a fiver for one concert.)

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Not really worth manning the barricades for, is it? But glad to see it's now just Gramophone readers who listen to classical music...

dvdaudio:taxi drivers who listen to classical music are looking for rich passengers and big tips imo

Presumably by playing the music so loud you can hear the classical taxi approaching down the road and make an informed decision about whether to get into that one or the one playing TalkSPORT?

andrew i say and always have said its each to their own were music is concerned
but why radio 3 should have got hd radio first is absolutley spiffing dont you think
only kidding but why.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
dvdaudio:Andrew Everard:

but why radio 3 should have got hd radio first is absolutley spiffing dont you think
only kidding but why.

It's been adequately explained why now, if you can't be bothered reading the replies then there's no point carrying on with the conversation.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:dvdaudio:Andrew Everard:

only kidding but why.

It's been adequately explained why now, if you can't be bothered reading the replies then there's no point carrying on with the conversation. i am very sorry ihc i must do better, considering it was andrew i was replying to
i will need to read before i post by jove i think ive got it ihc, oops forgot the in ihc

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
C'mon dvdaudio, what about my father? He had a passion for classical music for most of his adult life. Royal Marine, GPO engineer, miller/turner/lathe operator, manager of hotels, manager of University halls of residence and 15 years after 'retirement' age as a school crossing attendant.

He fell in love with classical music in his late teens (as a Royal Marine) due to the influence of hearing so many performances by the Band of The Royal Marines. (Many of which included classical music.)

If you had called him 'upper class' (he grew up in great poverty in a Wiltshire village in the 1930s and 40s) he would have laughed out loud!
Your, 'blokey', populist posturing regarding musical taste and class is actually making me angry.

John Duncan

professorhat:
dvdaudio:just like the money the arts get from the lottery to help ballet

550.gif

Posh folk in tights. Hang 'em all I say. And don't go and see that Black Swan either - just encourages 'em...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
dvdaudio:

only kidding but why.

It's been adequately explained why now, if you can't be bothered reading the replies then there's no point carrying on with the conversation. i am very sorry ihc i must do better, considering it was andrew i was replying to
i will need to read before i post by jove i think ive got it ihc, oops forgot the in ihc

Yes, I think you do need to do better, on almost every front. Never mind that I replied, Clare also took the trouble to explain it to you, are you suggesting that her response isn't worth anything as well? Or is it more likely you're not actually interested in the reasons, you just want to have a pathetic rant against the "elitist" BBC because you feel hard done by for some reason? The fact that you seem to be going out of your way to ignore the explanations would suggest that to be the case.

Now, do stop, you're embarrassing yourself in front of everyone.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:dvdaudio:

only kidding but why.

Yes, I think you do need to do better, on almost every front. Never mind that I replied, Clare also took the trouble to explain it to you, are you suggesting that her response isn't worth anything as well? Or is it more likely you're not actually interested in the reasons, you just want to have a pathetic rant against the "elitist" BBC because you feel hard done by for some reason? The fact that you seem to be going out of your way to ignore the explanations would suggest that to be the case.

Now, do stop, you're embarrassing yourself in front of everyone.the ihc i read all replys but was held up for 5 mins before posting,, so missed yours and clares replys ,but have read them so there do you forgive me i am so sorry for upsetting you have a nice day by bye byyee.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby:Your, 'blokey', populist posturing regarding musical taste and class is actually making me angry.

And believe you me, you don't want to see Chebby angry...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
chebby:Your, 'blokey', populist posturing regarding musical taste and class is actually making me angry.

Oh dear, there goes another shirt...

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

sorry chebby i also love jedward ,i here

they are doing a version of holst the planets nice eh.

A

Anonymous

I would have thought most of Radio 1 and 2 listeners during the day would be either at work or in some work envirinment where it is just some background noise to help the time pass. That and the compressed sound would be more of a waste. Radio 3 on the other hand playing classical music is so much better to actually listen to. The extra quality will be useful and appreciated.

If I recall when cd first came out it was the classical recordings which were more of a driving force and getting released faster than chart stuff. When I got my first player it was more of a case of I'm going to buy a cd what is there available rather than I'm going to buy that title on cd instead of vinyl.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts