Question Why is Redbull TV stereo and not 5.1 as standard?

MrPenkwin

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Decided to check out Redbull TV but disappointed that it only plays in stereo. Is there a way around this? I did wonder if it's because I don't use ARC (annoyingly that never worked smoothly) and instead use an optical cable.

Any ideas?

MrPenkwin

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
You need to give more details. What's your system like? Which TV and which AV system? What issues did you face with ARC?
That might help! I have the following:

TV - Samsung UE55JS8500
Receiver - Pioneer SC-LX59 front pre-outs in to Roksan Kandy K3 driving MA Silver 300
MA Silver C350 centre and Silver FX surrounds.

Whenever I tried ARC it would work when setup, but when powering everything back on the TV doesn't register it. I tried many times to sort it but gave up in end.

That might help! I have the following:

TV - Samsung UE55JS8500
Receiver - Pioneer SC-LX59 front pre-outs in to Roksan Kandy K3 driving MA Silver 300
MA Silver C350 centre and Silver FX surrounds.

Whenever I tried ARC it would work when setup, but when powering everything back on the TV doesn't register it. I tried many times to sort it but gave up in end.
Check these troubleshooting steps.

Also, bear in mind that this needs connecting to HDMI output 1 on your amp which is the designated ARC port.

MrPenkwin

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Check these troubleshooting steps.

Also, bear in mind that this needs connecting to HDMI output 1 on your amp which is the designated ARC port.

Thanks for your response, my query is specifically about Redbull TV playing only in two channel though, would you know why or have any ideas?

I'm aware of the specific HDMI inputs/outputs relevant for ARC and had activated HDMI-CEC as well as the relevant settings on the receiver but it just never worked.

Is it only Redbull TV that outputs in stereo? Do you even get 5.1 on Redbull TV if you connect with HDMI as an experiment?

If you are not using a source that has 5.1 audio, you will only receive 2 channel (Stereo) PCM audio.

Yep only REDBULL TV in stereo. Haven't tried plugging in HDMI since I had issues with ARC before.
Issue is with Redbull TV then. If you're getting 5.1 via HDMI but not via optical, then there's something amiss with the optical connection. If you're getting 5.1 in other channels but not Redbull TV, it's the source that's the issue, not the system.

MrPenkwin

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Issue is with Redbull TV then. If you're getting 5.1 via HDMI but not via optical, then there's something amiss with the optical connection. If you're getting 5.1 in other channels but not Redbull TV, it's the source that's the issue, not the system.
Thanks, I might give the HDMI a try again at some point and see if that works. I've heard that newer cables can work well with ARC but not tried it.

Reactions: bigboss

Gaberom

Dec 9, 2023
Visit site
There are several reasons why Red Bull TV may be broadcast in stereo instead of 5.1 surround sound as standard:

1. Bandwidth limitations: Streaming 5.1 surround sound requires significantly more bandwidth than stereo. This can be a challenge for Red Bull TV, as they may need to cater to users with varying internet speeds. By using stereo, they can ensure that the audio is of high quality and accessible to a wider audience.

2. Production costs: Producing 5.1 surround sound content can be more expensive than stereo. This is because it requires additional microphones, mixing equipment, and expertise. Red Bull TV may choose to focus their resources on other areas, such as content creation and marketing.

3. Content format: A significant portion of Red Bull TV's content may be sourced from user-generated videos or mobile recordings, which are typically recorded in stereo. Converting these videos to 5.1 surround sound would be time-consuming and expensive.

4. Audience expectations: Red Bull TV's audience may not necessarily expect high-fidelity surround sound. Many viewers may be watching on mobile devices or laptops with limited audio capabilities. Stereo audio may be sufficient for their needs and preferences.

5. Future compatibility: Red Bull TV may be planning to offer 5.1 surround sound in the future as technology and bandwidth constraints improve. However, they may be waiting for a wider adoption of 5.

Reactions: Corpus_Chain

Corpus_Chain

Jan 15, 2024
Visit site
Yep. Seems like an obvious answer: Redbull TV doesn't mix their programs in anything other than stereo. Since it's mostly about watching RAD STUNTS, that doesn't surprise me at all. It seems like a lot of effort to make it sound like a motorbike is jumping over your head.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts