Why is c.d apparently dead ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

I have nearly 9k @ 320kbps on a 1TB card, and it isn't full.
Didn't know they made micro sd cards as big as 1TB... that's amazing!! Wonder how many full fat recordings would fit on there?

Hope you've got a back-up as that's a lot of music to lose all in one go, the only way I'll lose my music collection is if I have a fire.

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Didn't know they made micro sd cards as big as 1TB... that's amazing!! Wonder how many full fat recordings would fit on there?

Hope you've got a back-up as that's a lot of music to lose all in one go, the only way I'll lose my music collection is if I have a fire.
A quick guestimate... about 500 albums of flac @ 192kHz 24Bit
I have them backed up to two other drives, one of which lives off the premises. I do photography, and follow the same rules for storing data. It took me far too long to rip them from CD and/or download them to risk losing them.

D

Deleted member 188533

I heard that. I reripped all 500+ of my CD collection to FLAC last year and it took 2 months. I have multiple backups as well. That way if I do have a fire I still have all the music I spent so much money on over the years. On the computer with headphones I stream Tidal or listen to those FLACs. On the home stereo I tend to still use CDs.

Jimboo

Why are you ripping when you can stream? Months to rip , various back ups, really.If (unlike me) you do not want the physical format why are you moving the music you no longer want to store on to another format you have to replicate to replace what you already had access too? You might as well use Tidal and just download the album's you like as and when you play them at a minimal cost to your time. If they mean so much to you as a collection then why did you fall out of love with them , convenience? Doesn't sound that convenient.
Turning a lossless format into a lossless format is interesting. You can carry your collection around with you in your pocket ? Well you can carry mine , yours and everybody else's if you stream.

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Why are you ripping when you can stream? Months to rip , various back ups, really.If (unlike me) you do not want the physical format why are you moving the music you no longer want to store on to another format you have to replicate to replace what you already had access too? You might as well use Tidal and just download the album's you like as and when you play them at a minimal cost to your time. If they mean so much to you as a collection then why did you fall out of love with them , convenience? Doesn't sound that convenient.
Turning a lossless format into a lossless format is interesting. You can carry your collection around with you in your pocket ? Well you can carry mine , yours and everybody else's if you stream.
I have access to my nephew's Spotify account if I want to stream something, but I have thousands of tracks that aren't available on any streaming service, and why would I want to pay for this Tidal thing when all of my music is on a NAS that I can access for free, from anywhere in the world?

I had literally thousands of CDs. They took up a massive amount of room. They're now in the loft, and their contents are instantly accessible from any room in my house, or anyone else's house. It makes perfect sense to me.

D

Deleted member 188533

I live in the country with a spotty 18/1 internet connection. If I'm downloading something big or someone is streaming TV that eats my bandwidth. Physical CDs degrade over time. I have some from the 80s - early 90s that have broken so that's one main reason I ripped them all. And yes I have an LG phone with the quad DAC that's the equal of any ~$300 headphone amp/DAC stack so I do carry it around sometimes. I also don't have great line of sight to cell towers and I only get a solid cell connection upstairs in my house. Out in the yard it drops entirely in places ( I have 3 1/2 acres ). So the physical media/streaming combo is what works for me.

Edit: The best thing about streaming is finding new music. Love it for that.

Reactions: Mike Hunt

Jimboo

Mmm, there in the loft ? Why?
What did you do with all the spare room you gained
Why did you do all of your collection if streaming does not cover a small part of your collection , you access via the internet to your NAS so you use your own streaming service. You have to pay the internet provider I suppose so there is a small saving to be gained from not subscribing , mind you, if as you intimated you are regularly moving all around the world I can see that attraction.
Ain't nothing free buddy , you will watch online formats and access change , evolve and become obsolete. Keep the rare hard to find stuff in the loft and give the rest to a charity shop for the rest of us .

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Mmm, there in the loft ? Why?
What did you do with all the spare room you gained
Why did you do all of your collection if streaming does not cover a small part of your collection , you access via the internet to your NAS so you use your own streaming service. You have to pay the internet provider I suppose so there is a small saving to be gained from not subscribing , mind you, if as you intimated you are regularly moving all around the world I can see that attraction.
Ain't nothing free buddy , you will watch online formats and access change , evolve and become obsolete. Keep the rare hard to find stuff in the loft and give the rest to a charity shop for the rest of us .
I started ripping my CD collection many, many years before streaming was even invented. I'm talking dial-up era, when enough bandwidth to stream a 128kbps MP3 would have been the stuff of dreams. I wasn't doing it with the intention of putting it on a NAS for streaming from anywhere in the world. Those concepts were unthinkable at the time. I was ripping them because my CDs were getting damaged, and my collection was physically too large. It had completely taken over an entire room, and the only way to keep my music and my missus, was to rip it all to hard disc and archive the originals.
What did I do with the room I gained? Well, I gained a room, and turned it into a gaming/chilling room, where I had a PC running Winamp, from which I could access all the CDs that used to take up the entire room.
CDs just don't make any sense to me these days. I'm moving house shortly, and I'll most likely unload everything but the irreplaceable ones when I get into the loft.

D

Deleted member 188533

I ripped from day 1 of the MP3 format as well. I ended up with a mishmash of various bit rates using various encoders across 20 years. That's why I redid it, it was actually 2 years ago not last year. I used Exact Audio Copy in bitperfect mode. Just to have consistency.

Reactions: Mike Hunt

Jimboo

Jesus Mike , winamp? Christ almighty that was little more than a toy, ah I remember it well.
It is your choice of course. Each to their own I guess. I think (as I have said many times) I fear that music like movies will be available via split paid for subscription fees and it will be impossible to cover all the bases. I get the access thing especially if you are (like me) into very obscure stuff but the most obscure krautrock is turning up on the streaming services.
I love my music but it is for me a physical product as well as a listening one. In ten years possibly Hi-Res will be the only format supported and what do you do then , re-rip I suppose , nope. Nothing portable beats a pair of quality speakers. They cannot be tucked into your pocket.
So many empty shelvers and wall reclaimers are now buying the dead flawed wax format because it's real. It is a digital Gimmie it now world , no sense of anticipation , the internet is full of information no one wants to read. Coverflow replaces tactile products the world in your pocket. I will stick with the old shiny lossless disc that needs finding and placing in a box so that a pair of boxes can push the air and resonate just as the artist heard and nodded too before offering to me.
The times they are a changin.

That makes no sense whatsoever. Any MP3 player will allow you to quickly scan through your music collection, and you'll find something a lot easier than you would looking through those racks of CDs.

Makes perfect sense to me. Your eyes can take in far more in a short period of time in the real world than on a small screen, and when your collection is large, I don't want to scroll. I frequently look at random sections, and often it'll just be the sight of an artist that prompts a track. And as for speed, maybe. But my point is that I am often browsing and don't know what I am looking for until I find it.

I'm not saying that how I do things is right for everyone, but it also isn't wrong for everyone either.

Reactions: Jimboo

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
I just dug this out from a dark corner of my work room.

49717006063_e989cf60e3_b.jpg

For the youngsters playing along at home, we used to insert discs into these, and the machine would spin the disc and point some light at it, and, depending on how badly scratched your discs were, the reflected light would magically be transformed into music.

Each disc used to hold ~12 tracks!... Yes, I'm aware that the 1TB micro SD card in your phone will hold ~100,000 tracks, but some nonsense about tangibility.

Rumour has it that some people added lead weights to the cases of their spinning disc machines, which, allegedly, enhanced the sound, but in the absence of any credible experiments, any such claims should be taken with a large pinch of salt. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: insider9

Gray

....yes kids, it's called a CD player.
What's that you say? Your internet connection's gone down and you can't stream?
If you've got one of these old things, you've still got your favourite music.
Still, I can see the attraction of streaming. After all, who wouldn't want to pay a monthly fee to the likes of Jay Zee - or whoever it is that owns Tidal? I know I would.

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
....yes kids, it's called a CD player.
What's that you say? Your internet connection's gone down and you can't stream?
If you've got one of these old things, you've still got your favourite music.
Still, I can see the attraction of streaming. After all, who wouldn't want to pay a monthly fee to the likes of Jay Zee - or whoever it is that owns Tidal? I know I would.
Or you could simply have spent your #coronaviruslockdowntime ripping your spinning discs to an instant access, solid state storage medium. Thereby negating the need for such archaic, and somewhat arcane, methods of music reproduction ;)

Gray

Or you could simply have spent your #coronaviruslockdowntime ripping your spinning discs to an instant access, solid state storage medium. Thereby negating the need for such archaic, and somewhat arcane, methods of music reproduction ;)
I've done that Mike, it's why I don't need to stream.
If the lockdown is as long as the ripping took me, we're all in trouble.

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
I've done that Mike, it's why I don't need to stream.
If the lockdown is as long as the ripping took me, we're all in trouble.
Tell me about it! I have/had literally thousands of CDs.

Don't get me wrong here, as my post was extremely tongue-in-cheek... I have nothing against CDs, or anyone who chooses to use them, but spinning discs, of any description, are obsolete. There's really no reason for us to be using them these days. And please bear in mind that this is coming from someone who, whilst digging out the aforementioned CD player, also found these relics...

49717152968_91ac2d3359_b.jpg

49717798841_8a92718481_b.jpg

49718114352_dcfaf8195a_b.jpg

So you have to know that I'm the worst nostalgic, and the worst hoarder, but there comes a time when we have to admit to ourselves that nostalgia is a thing of the past :D

I also found these, while I was doing the room search nostalgia thing:

49716801466_3701f13ca1_b.jpg

Most people probably won't have a clue what they are (well obviously they're microphones) but they're relics form a distant past, and should probably remain there.

Reactions: Gray and insider9

Gray

Tell me about it! I have/had literally thousands of CDs.

Don't get me wrong here, as my post was extremely tongue-in-cheek... I have nothing against CDs, or anyone who chooses to use them, but spinning discs, of any description, are obsolete. There's really no reason for us to be using them these days. And please bear in mind that this is coming from someone who, whilst digging out the aforementioned CD player, also found these relics...

49717152968_91ac2d3359_b.jpg

49717798841_8a92718481_b.jpg

49718114352_dcfaf8195a_b.jpg

So you have to know that I'm the worst nostalgic, and the worst hoarder, but there comes a time when we have to admit to ourselves that nostalgia is a thing of the past :D

I also found these, while I was doing the room search nostalgia thing:

49716801466_3701f13ca1_b.jpg

Most people probably won't have a clue what they are (well obviously they're microphones) but they're relics form a distant past, and should probably remain there.
Worst hoarder are you Mike? At least there's some value in your hoardings!
I think you'd like it in my loft. I've got 4 reel to reel recorders, several cassette decks and CD players, valve amps, music centres, an Ecko 405 line TV (they switched the transmitters off 35 years ago), more portable TVs, a minimum of 5 Hoovers (including the classic 1334 model), various radios (including a Roberts portable with 1 or 2 valves, that uses a 67 volt battery) Dual and Trio classic turntables, a wind up gramophone with 78s, several stack systems, 3 or 4 boxes of phones / answer machines, 18 element TV aerials, couple of large radio aerials, Sanyo Betamax (suitcase sized) VCR and that's just scratching the surface.
I just can't throw anything away and I've spent years collecting other peoples electrical items too.
And yep, one of my (many) car stereos is a similar looking Sony to yours, might be the same model.

Last edited:

Mike Hunt

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Worst hoarder are you Mike? At least there's some value in your hoardings!
I think you'd like it in my loft. I've got 4 reel to reel recorders, several cassette decks and CD players, valve amps, music centres, an Ecko 405 line TV (they switched the transmitters off 35 years ago), more portable TVs, a minimum of 5 Hoovers (including the classic 1334 model), various radios (including a Roberts portable with 1 or 2 valves, that uses a 67 volt battery) Dual and Trio classic turntables, a wind up gramophone with 78s, several stack systems, 3 or 4 boxes of phones / answer machines, 18 element TV aerials, couple of large radio aerials, Sanyo Betamax (suitcase sized) VCR and that's just scratching the surface.
I just can't throw anything away and I've spent years collecting other peoples electrical items too.
And yep, one of my (many) car stereos is a similar looking Sony to yours, might be the same model.
I think we need a hoarders' face off... See who has the largest collection of crap :D

Reactions: Gray
Each disc used to hold ~12 tracks!... Yes, I'm aware that the 1TB micro SD card in your phone will hold ~100,000 tracks, but some nonsense about tangibility.

Rumour has it that some people added lead weights to the cases of their spinning disc machines, which, allegedly, enhanced the sound, but in the absence of any credible experiments, any such claims should be taken with a large pinch of salt. :D

It really is time to let that one go - as well as accepting that others prefer to do things in a manner different from your own.
I have never understood the need to 'win' online - says more about that person than me, I fear. I've tried to be accepting of others' views even if I don't agree - maybe you could give that a bash? Unless this is a 'joke' of sorts. If it is, I wouldn't be giving up the day job any time soon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts