why do you keep locking most interesting threads

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Lol, not too sure about censorship on the forum but a few football threads were 'locked' for folk giving their opinions... heated opinion to do with football is 'a given' the World over given that things can get heated..... but no way should they be closed... that just makes the forum look childish..... if there are to be 'non-hi-fi' threads allowed as such and understanding in the universal acceptance of having something within the forum AS 'non-hifi' or 'non What-HiFi' as such ....

then ' What HiFi' as an online forum onliy has to have a page thus nulifying itself from views within on all things

'non What Hi Fi' ?

Football is ALL about opinions... but when someone who is Not footy-orientated takes it upon themselves to close/shut down the footy thread... it makes the site look childish for want of better wording.... given that the people typing in their opinions are not children.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
Lol, not too sure about censorship on the forum but a few football threads were 'locked' for folk giving their opinions... heated opinion to do with football is 'a given' the World over given that things can get heated..... but no way should they be closed... that just makes the forum look childish..... if there are to be 'non-hi-fi' threads allowed as such and understanding in the universal acceptance of having something within the forum AS 'non-hifi' or 'non What-HiFi' as such ....

then ' What HiFi' as an online forum onliy has to have a page thus nulifying itself from views within on all things

'non What Hi Fi' ?

Football is ALL about opinions... but when someone who is Not footy-orientated takes it upon themselves to close/shut down the footy thread... it makes the site look childish for want of better wording.... given that the people typing in their opinions are not children.

Wha'?!

Somoene who you don't think knows about football shouldn't lock a football thread because this demonstrates that they are just some naive fool who has not realized that people can't behave in football threads?!

At least, that seems to be what you are saying...

And maybe it makes football fans look childish? Maybe such threads give them a bad name.

John Duncan

Alantiggger said:
when someone who is Not footy-orientated takes it upon themselves to close/shut down the footy thread...

You presume that none of us are footy-oriented. Well, Clare is an Ipswich fan so maybe you're right...

If any thread on here gets closed it's because people aren't being civil.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps, oh please, we could ban people who write 'LOL', especially those who seem to write it in every ******* sentence.

Thank you for listening.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
Lol, not too sure about censorship on the forum but a few football threads were 'locked' for folk giving their opinions... heated opinion to do with football is 'a given' the World over given that things can get heated..... but no way should they be closed... that just makes the forum look childish....

So does this mean that football related threads should have some kind of special 'anything goes' status just because it's football?

I swear a lot during an F1 Grand Prix. (I am sure anyone passionate about their favourite sport turns the air blue when things get exciting/contentious). But I wouldn't expect special dispensation to do the same - in type - here on the forum in the F1 thread.

Why is football different?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I think the only thing this thread shows is how difficult this site is to moderate. So far we've had a variety of different suggestions about what should be done, showing that it's a pretty much impossible task to please all of the people all of the time.

I think the mods here are pretty tolerant, maybe too tolerant IMO, and they do a very good job overall. I think there have been a few issues since the moderation changed, but that's only because of certain people taking advantage of the new policies.

Personally, I've hardly seen any threads locked, and the ones that have been locked have more than deserved it. In many instances we don't see the the petty stuff that the mods remove, so what's left might give a false impression that a thread was locked unnecessarily. There was some supremely childish stuff said the other night which has now vanished.

I'm kinda baffled at why people insult strangers on a website while discussing hi-fi. Surely when you start insulting people you should realise that it's gone a bit too far and you need to have a look at yourself?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Thanks bigblue25. It is a difficult balancing act at the best of times, and we have tried to be more tolerant in recent months, although of course invevitably some people will (unfortunately) take advantage of that.

But on the whole we're trying to treat people like adults, and expect them to behave accordingly. What I – and the other mods – will not tolerate is personal abuse in any shape or form, whatever the subject.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
FWIW, I think thread-locking has become far more balanced/sensible, whereas not so long ago threads were locked, seemingly at random, mostly because of a certain (harrassed) mod's ire with the forum's resident phoenix
smiley-face-whistle-2.gif

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
I think the only thing this thread shows is how difficult this site is to moderate. So far we've had a variety of different suggestions about what should be done, showing that it's a pretty much impossible task to please all of the people all of the time. I think the mods here are pretty tolerant, maybe too tolerant IMO, and they do a very good job overall. I think there have been a few issues since the moderation changed, but that's only because of certain people taking advantage of the new policies. Personally, I've hardly seen any threads locked, and the ones that have been locked have more than deserved it. In many instances we don't see the the petty stuff that the mods remove, so what's left might give a false impression that a thread was locked unnecessarily. There was some supremely childish stuff said the other night which has now vanished. I'm kinda baffled at why people insult strangers on a website while discussing hi-fi. Surely when you start insulting people you should realise that it's gone a bit too far and you need to have a look at yourself?
Well said,totally agree with you.Mods keep up the good work.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
FWIW, I think thread-locking has become far more balanced/sensible, whereas not so long ago threads were locked, seemingly at random, mostly because of a certain (harrassed) mod's ire with the forum's resident phoenix
smiley-face-whistle-2.gif

Contrary opinions are available.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
I think the only thing this thread shows is how difficult this site is to moderate. So far we've had a variety of different suggestions about what should be done, showing that it's a pretty much impossible task to please all of the people all of the time. I think the mods here are pretty tolerant, maybe too tolerant IMO, and they do a very good job overall. I think there have been a few issues since the moderation changed, but that's only because of certain people taking advantage of the new policies. Personally, I've hardly seen any threads locked, and the ones that have been locked have more than deserved it. In many instances we don't see the the petty stuff that the mods remove, so what's left might give a false impression that a thread was locked unnecessarily. There was some supremely childish stuff said the other night which has now vanished. I'm kinda baffled at why people insult strangers on a website while discussing hi-fi. Surely when you start insulting people you should realise that it's gone a bit too far and you need to have a look at yourself?

Probably mostly agree.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Well, you could explain what you disagree with and why you disagree with it then? It's just my opinion, the way I see it, I don't expect everyone to agree.

Maybe I've just lived with a woman too long, I never expect anyone to agree. *Sigh* :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
Well, you could explain what you disagree with and why you disagree with it then? It's just my opinion, the way I see it, I don't expect everyone to agree.

Maybe I've just lived with a woman too long, I never expect anyone to agree. *Sigh* :)

Mrs. Cno just growls, "if I want your opinion, I'll give it to you!"
......works for me (Happy Days). :roll:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts