Help with speaker purchase

reverendo

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

this is my first post here.

I live in Brazil and I'll be traveling to London in early July. I intend to buy a pair of floorstanders.

My associated gear is:

Squeezebox Duet (with Welborne PS)>Camelot Technology Uther 2.0 MkIV (Dac/Pre)>Gryphon Tabu 2/onehundred

My living room is 5,5x6,5m, but use only the first half of it for music. I'll paste here what I wrote in the Pink Fish Media forum in order to give you an idea what I'm looking for:

I'm looking for a system that is as neutral and exact as possible without losing musicality. If I HAD to chose what is most important to me I'd say that imaging, soundstage and focus (which are co-related) would be on the top of my list. I love pin-point imaging and it is very important to me (sth my current speakers are not very good at), since I often listen analytically. I study orchestral scores with my system (I studied Composition) and also write orchestral arrangements so layering, LR positioning and separation not only of the instrument groups, but also of the musicians is important to me. I don't want it to get to the point where the music is only the result of the sum of different parts, losing musicality, but I would like to have speakers that let me analyze what I'm listening to when I feel like it. Since I'm not into that euphonic kind of sound I'm not much into omni-speakers, though the one I listened to sounded very nice (B&O Beolab 5). OTOH having a sound that is virtually untraceable to the speakers has always been a dream.
I'm also not the kind of person that wants to recreate the live event, since normally I don't sit in the best places at shows and even when I do (which happens more often in the theatre listening to the orchestra) I'm normally not very happy with the acoustics, since many concert halls are less than ideal. So what I look for in my system is a reproduction of what was recorded without masking mistakes or softening the sound. I want the musicality, but I want it to be inside the recording not something added. I normally try to give my system it's my own flavour in the source (normally the DAC) and cables.
In close second comes tonal balance. I don't like a stronger bass or explicitly rolled of highs or some kind of bloom in the midrange (which is why I'm not a great fan of valves; though they sound lovely I feel that I'm being tricked
wink.gif
, but I do admit that I don't have much experience with them). I like a tuneful, deep bass, but it has to be the controled kind. Because of the deep bass I think that I'd have to go for floorstanders, since most monitors I know just can't go that deep, although they're tonally neutral. I don't listen to only classical and jazz. As I stated before, I also listen to some pop and I know when I'm missing the lower notes. I love extended highs (loved the way the Dali Helicon's ribbons sounded, that wonderful airyness), but without being forward and a very, very clear midrange.
I also prefer a more of an up-front sound which starts with the speakers and goes deep back, instead of a more laid-back sound. I associate the laid-back sound a lot with the Spendors that I listened to (I'm aware that the whole system went in that direction, but I've been told that it's kind of a trademark that the soundstage starts behind the boxes). Maybe the new Spendors are different and then definitely I'd have to give them a listen.
I'd like to clarify that I don't need great low level speakers. Mid level is fine, but that is very subjective and I don't know how to put it in a measurable way, since I haven't anything to measure with.
Dynamics are very important, especially in big symphonic pieces, so that would also be something I'd like to have. Textures are also very important, especially in a jazz or orchestral setting where I want to listen to the difference of the soloist's violin to the spalla's and so on.
Now there are the practical aspects of my quest: budget and size. If anyone knows speakers that meet most of what I'm looking for, but that exceed the budget, please do tell me of these, because then I could find out where I want to get someday (if ever). If you have ideas about speakers that meet many of statements above and are within my budget or only slightly above I'd appreciate your help. Size is a problem, since bringing back the ATC 40's would cost me more with shipping than their price. I have to find something that fo shipping is up to 203cm (summing all dimensions; that's for one speaker per carton) and below 32kg. That is a very serious handicap, I know, but it would keep the total cost considerably down. Last, but not least, they can't look absolutely ugly. The WAF is important. Though my wife has been more than patient with me (my speakers are 1,2m into the living room and the cables can't be hidden completely) I know that if I show up with the ls5/8 bottleneck suggested I'd probably be in trouble
biggrin.gif
(thanks for the tip, though).
I am very, very aware the the associated gear is vital in order to get that sound, but I have to start somewhere and it would be best to start with the speakers. It is also easier for me to get another DAC/Pre and/or amp due to size (except for behemoths like the huge Krells and similar) and I am flexible. Nonetheless I am under the impression that the Gryphon will be staying for quite a while since I loved that piece of gear.
smile.gif

I just hope that I haven't tired you too much with my ranting. All help has been and will continue to be welcome.
best regards
Andre

reverendo

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
budget is around £1000, but might stretch if necessary. Have no problem with demo or used gear, just can't be on the very ugly side, since WAF is important.

best regards

Andr‚

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Wow.

As i was reading your post i had a speaker in mind that not only fitted your sonic requirements, size but also shipping weight, this though wouldn't have been a problem as they have outlets in Brazil. The only stumbling block, budget. They cost excessively more that the 1k you have so i need to rethink.

reverendo

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
tell what these speakers would be, just so I have an idea where I'm heading to in the future. and if you have a hint on something less pricey it would be more than welcome.

best regards

Andr‚

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Monitor Audio Platinum PL200

They are 33kg. But the plinths are removable and could be sent separately, this though shouldn't be a problem as they have outlets in Brazil.

I'm not sure i can come up with anything at 1K but i'll have a rethink as the PL200 are around 5k.

reverendo

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
buying audio gear in Brazil is a rather weary subject. importation tax is 60% and usually the price is around 3 times higher than anywhere else. that's why I'm trying to grasp this opportunity.

I'd love to listen to the MA PL200 since I've read great things about them. Hope you can think of sth around my budget that might meet my imediate needs and budget.

thanks a lot

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Ok i've done some scouting around and i can't say for sure how these will work with your system. A bit of www. searching finds this combo being used so could work well. The weight and size and cost at 1k are good. There is also a dealers in London which may have them in stock for you to demo whilst your their. Details are on their site. Oh yea and the speakers ProAc Studio 130.
Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Do they have to be floorstanders. The ATC scm 19 are around the £1500 mark but would suit youre requirements well. Especially as you mentioned the SCM 40s.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i must admit, i think you'd love atcs. tight, accurate bass, crystal clear uncoloured mid, and natural sounding treble. with massive dynamics. the 19s however, will weigh more then 32kg boxed.

reverendo

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
shooter69:Ok i've done some scouting around and i can't say for sure how these will work with your system. A bit of www. searching finds this combo being used so could work well. The weight and size and cost at 1k are good. There is also a dealers in London which may have them in stock for you to demo whilst your their. Details are on their site. Oh yea and the speakers ProAc Studio 130.
Good luck.

Hi shooter69,

thanks for having a look around. I'll try to audition the Proacs when I arrive. I definitely want to listen to the Harbeths, ATCs and Leemas, too.

best regards

Andr‚

reverendo

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
bobbyg81:Do they have to be floorstanders. The ATC scm 19 are around the £1500 mark but would suit youre requirements well. Especially as you mentioned the SCM 40s.

Hi bobbyg81,

I got a fantastic deal on the ATC SCM40 within my budget, but their size is the problem, since I'd have to pay extra luggage fees since they exceed weight and dimensions. I'm still very tempted and if after audiotioning they show themselves to be what I need I might just invest that extra money. It's that I'd pay more for shipping than for them.
emotion-7.gif

best regards

Andr‚

reverendo

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Craig M.:i must admit, i think you'd love atcs. tight, accurate bass, crystal clear uncoloured mid, and natural sounding treble. with massive dynamics. the 19s however, will weigh more then 32kg boxed.

Craig,

I am prepared to take two units with up to 203cm (added packing dimensions) and 32kg. The 19s shouldn't be a problem. ;)

best regards

Andr‚

A

Anonymous

Hi Reverendo.

I have the SCM40s and I think you will love them. If the extra shipping puts you off, from what I hear the SCM19s give you alot of the 40s performance. The 40s could very well be the last pair of speakers you own as they can handle amplifiers costing alot more than they do.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide on!

A

Anonymous

Definitely the Harbeths and the Leemas for reasons quoted elsewhere.

Since you like classical and jazz, also Opera and Sonus Faber.

reverendo

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Tarquinh:
Definitely the Harbeths and the Leemas for reasons quoted elsewhere.

Since you like classical and jazz, also Opera and Sonus Faber.

Thanks Tarquinh,

I've listened to the Cremona's in a wonderful system (with Audio Research and Viola) and although they were fantastic they are not the kind of speakers I look for, since I found them too coloured for my taste.

The Harbeths and Leemas are on my shortlist.

Best regards

Andr‚

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts