PS3 Audio output.........The Last Word?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I posted the following yesterday on someone elses topic and got no reply, probably `cos its old hat?

[*][/list]

Re: PS3 / Onkyo SR 606 Audio

Hi, I hate to barge in like this, but I seem to be having a problem that is closely related to this.

This is my first posting so please excuse any apparent ignorance!!

I too have the 606 and initially I had a fairly unsophisticated Phillips HD DVD player hooked up by HDMI. Whatever format the disc was in ( eg Dolby or DTS) that was what came up on the Onkyo. Because I have a Samsung 46 F81 I wanted to enjoy Blu Ray and full HD sound, hence the PS3!

However, when I play a disc through the PS 3 the bonus material , intro etc shows as Dolby etc but once the actual soundtrack starts that goes. I note from another posting here the need to set the BD/DVD Audio output to Linear PCM and play it as `Multichannel`. This seems ok and when I press `Select` on PS3 Remote it shows `Dolby Digital`. However, it shows this regardless of whether the audio on the disc is Dolby, DTS, or True HD.

I dont profess to having the finest ear and it may be that I might not tell the difference, but it is frustrating to have this combination of kit and not to be able to get the very best out of it!

And yes, on Audio output settings I have HDMI > Automatic which ticks all the boxes for you!

Cheers

When Iposted this I had only briefly looked at these forums. I am 3 hours ahead in the UAE and it wasnt until much later that I read every single posting I could find on this and related subjescts. What a mine of information! Thank You! Apologies to Andrew and Professorhat among others for raising what must by now be a tiresome subject! however, can we please get the final answer.

Correct me if I`m wrong:

1.Because the PS 3 decodes internally the Onkyo does not show the format in the window

2.By ensuring Linear PCM is selected on the PS3 & `Multichannel` is the selected audio option we get the correct signal (eg Dolby) . We can check the audio output from the PS3 during playback by pressing select.

3. If we select Bitmap we will see the correct code in the Amp window. But this is not recommended for Blu Ray!

OK, so far so good, however, questions:

1. The PS output shown by pressing select is always Dolby regardless of whether the disc is DTS or Full HD, does that mean we only get Dolby? The signal is shown as 5.1 48 ( Ithink!) Hz. Is this ok ? If not can we get better (Note above all boxes on PS3 audio output are ticked!)

2.With the PS3 > HDMI Cable > Onkyo 606 > HDMI to full HD TV can I get Full HD sound?

If the answer to 2 above is `No`, then this is a disappointment and one that could have been clarified elsewhere a long time ago! I live in Abu Dhabi and to be honest the tech advice available is limited. I got what I think was the first 606 in the country so there was even less help available. My mate`s 506 shows it all ( Digital output from PS3!) I am very happy with it. However, I read, like so many others apparently, the advise re. PS3 or BluRay player. I chose the PS 3 firstly for the Blu Ray facility and considered the gaming etc as a good bonus!

Judging by the number of postings on this subject it seems to me that there are grounds for one of our Tech Journo fraternity to write a definitive explaination of the characteristivs of the PS3 in this role and with this kind of kit!

By the way, my mate`s PS3 read his old ipod Nano and let him copy all his music onto it. Mine wouldnt with my iTouch! I got round it in the end though!

Sorry this is so long, but its 43 deg C outside and I`ve nothing else to do! And I hope the title says it all!!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, it sounds like you have everything set up correctly, are you choosing the correct soundtrack on the Blu-Ray disc? Most films default to the Dolby Digital soundtrack for some reason, I'm guessing because that is the format virtually everyone will be able to decode no matter what amp etc. they have. On most therefore, you need to go into Setup or Languages on the disk and then choose the correct HD format e.g. TrueHD, PCM, DTS HD etc.

A

Anonymous

Tried that and the only difference is that with the audio selected to the commentary track I get DTS showing in the window. This is as I mentioned yesterday. Any disc will show Dolby etc in the Onkyo during playback of bonus / extra material but it goes asoon as the actual movie is selected!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
In the commentary track? You shouldn't have the commentary set on. Basically, on most discs, there is either usually a Setup option, a Language option or maybe a Soundtrack option on the top menu. Sometimes this subdivides further to Audio Setup. Within here, there should be a choice of using either standard Dolby Digital 5.1 English soundtrack or, if the disc includes one of the HD audio soundtracks, this should be in that menu too. What film are you trying it with?

A

Anonymous

Hi, sorry about the delay! Now in UK for a day or so. The commentary track was one of the disc audio options " English 2" I think. It was Beowolf. But as mentioned in previous posts, it is the same if I select something from the ` Special Features` of a disc.

However, I just watched a movie before I left and the Audoi Options had a choice of Dolby Digital 5.1 or Uncompressed 5.1. I chose the latter and it sounded good!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts