Why do we spend so much money on our hifi system?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Let's face it, most of us on here spend a bit more than the national average trying to play our music. Because as well as "musical perfection", it's partly about the hobby, curiosity, one-upmanship, OCD etc. I don't fall into the category of people who want/need to spend splash out on a top flight system although it would be nice to be able to do so. Nor do I scratch around trying to eeek out maximum performance from cables, component matching, sound deadening panels, toeing in speakers by 0.1 degrees, or adding bits of acoustically perfect wood and rubber. However ... I'm a bit of a collector and will admit to having spent far more money than I intended to trying lots of different types of systems; bluetooth speakers, vintage speakers, floorstanders, standmounts, class A, A/B, D amps, valve amps, standalone steamers, squeeze boxes, Sonos', computers, DACs, amps with DACs low-res, hi-res etc. etc. It's more about the variety rather than aiming for ultimate perfection. Despite having spent a fair bit, I still try to eke out the value of what I buy, preferring to buy end of line and/or ex-dem. But if I ever win the lottery, I would get myself a Devialet and some Vivid audio speakers ... just because I could *crazy* *biggrin*

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ID. said:
And some only want to listen to products that have gotten a 5 star review and will think you are trying to rip them off or don't know what you are talking about if you try to get them to listen to anything else.
There is that too! I remember someone once trying out a 5 star product, then trying a suggested alternative that was suggested to suit the customer better, and the customer preferring it. In the end he bought the 5 star product because it was a 5 star product.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Some people are their own worst enemy. Let's hope they get smart before their money runs dry. Plus, that they don't blame you for their stupidity, later on.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site

I'm very late to the party and I'm sure the OP's question has probably been answered, beaten to death and burried while the thread dived deep into the offtopic pool, but I felt like throwing in my 2 cents anyway.

Why we spend $$$$ on HiFi instead of buying a "relatively" cheap system and spending the extra dough on concerts etc.. really just comes down to personal preference and human nature.

Why do people buy a Bentley, when a Honda Civic would have taken them to their location?

The cool thing about hobbies like HiFi is that you can spend as much or as little as you want. Options are virtually limitless. So why should we try to limit them?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Ajani said:

I'm very late to the party and I'm sure the OP's question has probably been answered, beaten to death and burried while the thread dived deep into the offtopic pool, but I felt like throwing in my 2 cents anyway.

Why we spend $$$$ on HiFi instead of buying a "relatively" cheap system and spending the extra dough on concerts etc.. really just comes down to personal preference and human nature.

Why do people buy a Bentley, when a Honda Civic would have taken them to their location?

The cool thing about hobbies like HiFi is that you can spend as much or as little as you want. Options are virtually limitless. So why should we try to limit them?

Plenty of reasons for not going to live concerts, one not many in my area, hardly any groups I want to see now, costs, venues and other people who go to them. If I was young I may agree. As said hifi does not have to cost a lot of money, my last system cost about £700 and lasted 20 years. Less than a TV license.

jazzjenkins

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Most so called Audiophiles that I have come across seem to spend massive sums of cash chasing better sound, GET YOUR ROOM ACCOUSTICS RIGHT FIRST !!! Get this right and you will get great sound from a modest set up , get this wrong and you will total pants sound. Dont waste any more money on hifi gear untill you get you room right THEN you will reap the benefits of hi end stuff. MF nuvista cd...Rose rv23pre...MF XA200monoblocks...Dynaudio 2/7..BK 400 sub..Kimber throughout.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts