Why do we spend so much money on our hifi system?

gasolin

Amps like Micromega My Amp, Nad D3020,Nuforce dda 100, Marantz pm6005 and other amps like the ones i mentioned are not that expensive and with a pair of good,resonable priced speakers like monitor audio bx2,Q acoustics concept 20 or 2050i,dali zensor 3 it sounds fantastic and are very good value.

Do we need any more then that?

Why do we buy amps,speakers more expensive then the ones i mentioned?

Why can't we just buy a resonable price amp,speakers, enjoy music and spend the money we save to go to more live concerts?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Oooh, ooh. Is this the humble brag thread where we each try to outdo each other with lines like "All I need is my phone and a cheap pair of earbuds and I'm happy", "I'm happy just to be able to enjoy the music leaking out from other people's headphones on the train", "I'm happy just remembering music I've heard in the past. Don't really need no fancy 'lectronics"

*crazy*

Why buy more expensive stuff? I bought mine because it sounds better and I have the disposable income to afford luxuries like that. That's just how I roll baby. I use 100% virgin pulp toilet paper scented with sandalwood too

41tnnP36u1L.jpg

Longshanks

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Because you always hear something more engaging and think..................oh hang on i like that so much better than what i have !!!!!!!

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
... it's quite obvious when you have a ride in luxury car and 10 min later in your Fiesta which car was better.

Have a listen to some luxury audio and then check Marantz PM/ Dali Zensor.. or even better check some good quality active speakers where amp/ speakers matching was done by the manufacturer... and I mean really.. please do it.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
btw.. it doesn't have to be expensive.. Yamaha HS8 @ £440, Matrix Mini-i PRO @ £320 and Zensors and PM6005 are now little chihuahua's at best.. low level listening or really loud? Please go to your nearest pro audio shop and ask for an audition.

ID. said:
Oooh, ooh. Is this the humble brag thread where we each try to outdo each other with lines like "All I need is my phone and a cheap pair of earbuds and I'm happy", "I'm happy just to be able to enjoy the music leaking out from other people's headphones on the train", "I'm happy just remembering music I've heard in the past. Don't really need no fancy 'lectronics"

*crazy*

Why buy more expensive stuff? I bought mine because it sounds better and I have the disposable income to afford luxuries like that. That's just how I roll baby. I use 100% virgin pulp toilet paper scented with sandalwood too

There's nothing worse than affluent ex-hippies... *biggrin*

D

Deleted member 2457

Because they are better - usually, and look better too and means you don't have to upgrade again. I'm sticking with mine.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
:-D

ID. said:

?

*crazy*

?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
The reason I spent what I spent was that I couldn't find a cheaper way to achieve the same effect. Of course I may have got it wrong: if we're honest, we should all be able to admit that possibility.

gasolin

Take the Micromega My Amp the reviewer finds it to sound really good with a pair of Q acoustics 2050I, could it be that it just sound sooo good, because it's that good or does it sound good for the money?

http://hifi-freaks.dk/webshop/MyAMP-review-hifichoice-oct14.pdf

Or the Nuforce dda 100: The bargain-priced NuForce DDA-100 delivers 50Wpc and sounds better than any conventional integrated amplifier Steven Stone has heard priced under $2500

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/nuforce-dda-100-integrated-amplifier/

The review

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/nuforce-dda-100-integrated-amplifier-1/

With such good amps i wonder why you wanna have something that's more expensive.

Buy a very expensive amp,speaker and be annoyed that you can hear the slightest in perfection and you almost to the point of thinking why dosn't it have, for me, perfect sound, i spend 1000 of pounds, dollars,euros, it should have perfect sound and you often trying to make the sound better, but almost never reach a point where your satisfied and it sounds the way you like it within the limitation of the music you listen to.

A cheap system can sound very good and for the money be impressive, you know it's not perfect but you are always amazed by who good the sound is, instead of trying to change even the slightes inperfection, (why change something you feel are incredible good for the money?) you start listening more to then music then trying to get better sound

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
gasolin said:
Amps like Micromega My Amp, Nad D3020,Nuforce dda 100, Marantz pm6005 and other amps like the ones i mentioned are not that expensive and with a pair of good,resonable priced speakers like monitor audio bx2,Q acoustics concept 20 or 2050i,dali zensor 3 it sounds fantastic and are very good value.

Do we need any more then that?
You don't even need stereo to enjoy music, it can be mono, and can be low res. Music is music, and if you hear one of your favourite tracks come on a crappy system, you'll still sing along/tap your feet/play air guitar etc.

Why do we buy amps,speakers more expensive then the ones i mentioned?
Because the quality of electronics and speakers varies, and the presentation of some equipment varies too. Some will buy a system or speakers because of the way they look, or the way they bland in or stand out in a particular room.

Why can't we just buy a resonable price amp,speakers, enjoy music and spend the money we save to go to more live concerts?
Depends on people's priorities. Some don't like going to live gigs in the same way as some don't like going to the cinema. They'd rather experience it in the comfort of their own home, which after all, some people have paid a lot for.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Some people may spend a lot on Hifi, some waste a ot of money by constantly changing. Budget systems are ok until you hear something better. I heard a lot of mid range systems thought many of them were not very good. Best to get a system you like and then stick with it for years, forget about hifi and listen to the music.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm really happy with my Hi-Fi, I've owned separates since the age of 14 and I'm 35 now.

My current system consists of components which were in the £300-£400 bracket when new. This may be considered budget or mid-fi, I don't really know the bands of £ for performance these days, but it's the best system I've ever heard!

I wouldn't dream of spending 4 figures per component, when what I have is highly musical, enjoyable and 3 dimensional.

Overly critical listening detracts from the music. As long as it's reavealing enough to show how good or bad a recording is, sounds clear and detailed with good imaging and clean bass impact I'm happy!

I hate a thin harsh sound and since my very first Goodmans amp and Jamo D115 speaker combo when I was 14, this is the main thing I've always tried to avoid with my system matching and it's worked.

The higher up the price ladder you go the more subtle the 'improvements' become. This is especially true with DACs and digital sources.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Because we are chasing but never achieving perfection?

Chris

Yes, but sometimes we get lucky and find a system that just does it. You've found what you've always been looking for and can then just relax and properly enjoy the music, without wondering what if.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
relocated said:
Yes, but sometimes we get lucky and find a system that just does it. You've found what you've always been looking for and can then just relax and properly enjoy the music, without wondering what if.

It only means you have given up the search. *blum3*

KCCT82_Midbass_YUMMMM.jpg

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
btw.. it doesn't have to be expensive.. Yamaha HS8 @ £440, Matrix Mini-i PRO @ £320 and Zensors and PM6005 are now little chihuahua's at best.. low level listening or really loud? Please go to your nearest pro audio shop and ask for an audition.
yeap.. yamaha HS8

D

Deleted member 2457

Native_bon said:
I bet some people on here going into a shop do not even know what sound there want, unless its told to them by a hifi mag or shop sales person.
I knew exactly what I was buying! I had a Pioneer all in one home cinema system a DVD one but I wanted something better for master audio and the new high definition soundtracks. I demoed around, didn't like Yamaha or Denon or Onkyo amps with speakers I heard, and knew I wanted a Pioneer amp. My local shop had the perfect speakers to go with my amp, and that was definitely the system I wanted. Most comes down to price, style and whether you have heard it. Magazines are just a really good guide.

TRENDING THREADS