Why do I get distortion

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Using an Arcam Solo Mini, with B&W 686s on Alphason stands, QED Qunex 2 cable to Rdock, and QED Silver Anniversary speaker cable with terminations.

At volume levels above 60 on the Arcam I get distortion, this is not digital distortion but rather as if a drum is being hit too hard, or the tweeters begin to sound 'scratchy' and hard. This is through any source.

Any explanations/solutions? 

Messiah

Don't turn it past 60
emotion-4.gif

Next!

In all seriousness - is 60 on the Arcam really loud?

A

Anonymous

Can you define what you mean by 'scratchy' better? There are several things in that list that ring bells though the most obvious is the low power of the Solo.

A

Anonymous

Messiah:
Don't turn it past 60
emotion-4.gif

Next!

In all seriousness - is 60 on the Arcam really loud?

ÿ

Not that loud. Before this I was using a Pioneer home cinema system in the same room and never got any distortion at a similar volume level.ÿ

A

Anonymous

"Can you define what you mean by 'scratchy' better? There are several things in that list that ring bells though the most obvious is the low power of the Solo."ÿ

ÿ

Just going to listen to get a better description.

A

Anonymous

Octopo:Can you define what you mean by 'scratchy' better? There are several things in that list that ring bells though the most obvious is the low power of the Solo.

ÿ

Sort of tinny and hollow, which is strange because at lower volumes the treble is very warm and rich.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Messiah:Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the power. It may bestruggling to drive the speakers at higher volumes. I expect thePioneer amp was more powerful??ÿ

ÿ

Was this system -ÿhttp://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/350759002HTZ-360DV.pdf

I assume the comparable rating is 15 watts per chanel, so less than the Arcam in stereo.ÿ

A

Anonymous

I don't think the Pioneer system is the answer. I think the Solo is the cause of the problems but do you need to listen to it past the volume where it sounds good? All B&W speakers, including the small 686 like to be driven hard and I expect the Solo can't do this at higher volumes, so if the answer to the former is yes, I can only recommend to get a new amp.

A

Anonymous

Messiah:Or easier speakers to drive.....

ÿ

Other than power, what else could it be?

Would a power amp used with the Solo mini be a good option? Maybe a Cyrus 6 power?ÿ

A

Anonymous

Or which speakers are easier to drive. I listened to Arcam Musos and was not impressed.

A

Anonymous

If you're happy with the Arcam/686 sound you could possibly look for an Arcam power on ebay?

A

Anonymous

You are simply hearing the amp running out of power and sounding thin and harsh.

Welcome to the art of upgrading in the quest for music to the ears!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
styleman:Or which speakers are easier to drive. I listened to Arcam Musos and was not impressed.
Oh, I've got them. I think, given what they are (small traditional looking style speakers), you can't get any better. For me, they blew the Kefs eggs (3005SE) out of the water and sounded better than the B&W M-1s (looked better too).

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i would go for power first although run a solo mini with dali ikon2s, ms902i and quad12l2 and necer had a problem - although don't remember driving them that high mid 50s i think which was quite loud!!

have you mixed up the speakers polarity - is positive to positve - negative to negative from amp to speakers?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts