Why Banana Plugs?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just wondering... what's the use of Banana Plugs? I understand that it's easier to plug them into the receiver, but that's something I do once. Besides that, they just seem another component that can lower sound quality,

Is there any sound-quality difference between a 1€ and a 91€ plug? Any recomendation from Furutech, HRL, QED, Supra, Chord or WBT?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Only unplugged mine twice. Much easier to manipulate and with 'big' cable (QED) so much easier to get a good clean connection using Vaselene ! Worth their weight in gold - specially the gold plated ones !

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I guess it just provides a permanent termination that won't oxidise (as long as they are soldered or compressed onto the cable) and gives maximum ease/convenience for plugging and unplugging in the future. For instance fiddling around with screwing bare wires for 7 speakers into the back of an AV receiver is a complete pain in the backside.

For my AV receiver I just used the cheapest ones I could, but for my hifi I've got Naim plugs soldered on the amp end and QED air-locks on the speaker end. The latter are quite expensive, but I figured I only need to buy 4 of them and only once.

From a SQ perspective I'm sure that theoretically it's best to use (freshly bared) bare wires, securely clamped down, although in practice I doubt there's any real difference between that and decent, securely fastened banana plugs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts