Which tablet?

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about a tablet to help me with my Open University courses. Nowadays the OU provides its materials in downloadable format as well as in book form and there's also a lot of stuff on the website. It would be useful to be able to carry this stuff about with me without having to lug the books or a laptop. (I have a bad back and carrying even quite light loads is very tiring.) So I thought a tablet might be the answer.

It would need to have a very good screen as I would be reading an awful lot and it would need to have the facility to add a keyboard so that I could make notes. Obviously I'd like something with good all-round facilities too.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Chris

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Budget? I am pleased with my Galaxy 10.1 - A big screen is essential. Many will (ofcourse) recommend an i-device. Maybe demo a few or would a small ultra book suit? Think u can get a keyboard for the Samsung? Hopefully you will get some good suggestions here.

Cheers.

PS Android Kingsoftware for 'Office' docs is great (free) and a big memory stick (USB) may be needed.

Agree that an ultrabook would suit your needs better, especially the upcoming Windows 8 ones. If you want a tablet, your choice would be between the iPad, Asus Transformer Prime & Microsoft Surface which is coming next month.

A

Anonymous

I just got the new Asus Infinity Tablet and absolutely love it. It's the oneI'd go with. Best Android Tablet available imo.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
roger06 said:
I love my tablet - an HP TouchPad, hacked to run Android. But I don't think they're for 'working on'. I'd agree that a laptop would probably be more suitable...

From my so far limited experience they are fine for reviewing documents and making brief notes. Large scale editing or drafting I would agree with you.

Chris

scene

One question: what's your budget?

And, as an iPad user and a long time user of many, many different laptops - I'd look at something with a keyboard if you're going to do any serious typing on it. I've got a toshiba portegé, which weighs in at the same as a Mac Air, (but has a DVD/CD drive - yay!) - it's 900g or so, and is great - carrying it around hardly classes as "lugging"...

If are interested in a tablet, I'd say a Transformer Prime or Transformer Pad Infinity and look to get the Android version of LibreOffice when it finally hits the streets.

NB: If you're going to do any of your own work (e.g. dissertations, essays) on the laptop (or pad), I'd look at using cloud-based backups or even cloud-based apps (I'm thinking Google here) so that the originals of your precious work are stored on enterprise class, UPS protected, backed-up disks rather than your "has anyone seen my laptop?"...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts