Which speakers for metal- and rock?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

LDTM

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
Just wanted to say, Focal speakers are not bright. Not in my system anyway. Seems like people assume they are bright due to having metal tweeters.

Not exactly what I meant to imply good sir:) The Focal floorstanders are superb and are very tempting indeed (nearly bought a pair myself) just that Obiwan may be looking at standmounts and the one's I've listened to are perhaps a little too articulate for metal/rock. It was a fairly unforgiving listening though so it may well come to other variables. Incidentally, have you heard the Aria range?

Obi - the bands you mentioned are firm favourites of mine too, perhaps you might also like:

Beautiful Sin

Xandria

After Forever (Floor Jansen stood in for Tarja in one of Nightwish's recent tours - that lady can SING!)

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
[/quote]

Obi - the bands you mentioned are firm favourites of mine too, perhaps you might also like:

Beautiful Sin

Xandria

After Forever (Floor Jansen stood in for Tarja in one of Nightwish's recent tours - that lady can SING!)

[/quote]

I like that too!

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
What, no love for Darkthrone?

I have Soul Side Journy. Apart from that I don't like Darkthrone. Plenty of other Black Metal though. Dark Funeral, Emperor, Dissection, Dimmu Borgir and many more.

Dimmu's Death Cult Armageddon has to be the best album to test the streangts of any Hi-Fi set up IMO.

Do you listen to any Metal Vlad or are you just well informed?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
I think a lot depends on your listening style, if it is a lot of rock/metal at highish levels and you have no real requirements to play much else then perhaps your choices will be different than if you play a wide range of music with rock/metal as an occasional indulgence.

Either way I would look hard at positioning and the space available for the speakers, consider the room size too.

Conventional rock/metal does not have a lot of deep bass, what is really needed is mid range punch. This suggests a mid size standmount to me, in the old days a pair of Epos ES14 would be great, but I am not so sure in the current market.

I'm thinking something like the PMC DB1 Gold, with a meaty, but not outrageous, amplifier.

Here's a frequency spectrum plot of the vinyl version of Wishbone Ash's You See Red.

WishboneAshYouSeeRed.jpg

It's a conventional rock song played by a conventional rock band. It has a lot of content in the deep bass region of 40 to 60hz.

When playing this track I'd like my speakers to recreate the 40 to 60hz region in the right quantity and right quality.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
Vladimir said:
What, no love for Darkthrone?

I have Soul Side Journy. Apart from that I don't like Darkthrone. Plenty of other Black Metal though. Dark Funeral, Emperor, Dissection, Dimmu Borgir and many more.

Dimmu's Death Cult Armageddon has to be the best album to test the streangts of any Hi-Fi set up IMO.

Do you listen to any Metal Vlad or are you just well informed?

Not a metal head. I listen to certain albums that I like, mostly the old stuff from bands like Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Motorhead, Panthera, Iron Maiden etc. I like stoner metal the best because I like my mood to stink like a motorcycle bar at 6am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOrv4Cxk1X8

Also far far from well informed on the genre like you are.

BryO

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Kyuss, Orange Goblin, Unida, High on Fire, Sleep, QOTSA, Sigiriya, Candlemass and host of other Doom and Stoner Doom bands are definitely what I dig as well!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
lindsayt said:
davedotco said:
I think a lot depends on your listening style, if it is a lot of rock/metal at highish levels and you have no real requirements to play much else then perhaps your choices will be different than if you play a wide range of music with rock/metal as an occasional indulgence.

Either way I would look hard at positioning and the space available for the speakers, consider the room size too.

Conventional rock/metal does not have a lot of deep bass, what is really needed is mid range punch. This suggests a mid size standmount to me, in the old days a pair of Epos ES14 would be great, but I am not so sure in the current market.

I'm thinking something like the PMC DB1 Gold, with a meaty, but not outrageous, amplifier.

Here's a frequency spectrum plot of the vinyl version of Wishbone Ash's You See Red.

WishboneAshYouSeeRed.jpg

It's a conventional rock song played by a conventional rock band. It has a lot of content in the deep bass region of 40 to 60hz.

When playing this track I'd like my speakers to recreate the 40 to 60hz region in the right quantity and right quality.

I was really thinking about the bass extension required for some kinds of electronica, where there is often output way below classic rock. As always these were general statements, there are always exceptions particularly with digital material.

Using modern equipment a decent sized standmount should handle this pretty well in a normal sized room, it may lack ultimate power at the lowest frequencies but the point being made is that, at the sort of price level we are discussing, better overall results will be obtained by concentrating on the couple of octaves above 60-70 hz.

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes!....On many speakers it sounds horrible. Many speakers too transparant. I heard from a recording engineer Metal is the most difficult music to properly display.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
whiskywheels said:
So we need special speakers for metal and rock............................................. :rofl:

Did anyone say that......... :read:

When choosing any system at an affordable price it makes sense to make sure that the system is good in the areas that suit what you are going to listen too.

Personally I would not buy any systen that emphasised certain aspects of performance to suit one kind of music, but some do. I do not listen to much heavy rock these days but if I was looking to build a system to play 'classic' rock, for sensible money, I would be happy to sacrifice really deep bass response for mid bass kick.

Other views are available........ ;)

rainsoothe

hey - try to audition these:

- B&W CM5

- XTZ 93.23mkII or 99.26mkII (preferably) - XTZs are gems imo, i dont understand why the reviews are so scarce. In some countries they're only internet based, but you can demo for 2 weeks at home, which is awesome.

- Sonus Faber toy (might be a bit bright tho)

- Martin Logan Motion 15 (I have the Motion 40 floorstanders and I listen to qiote a good bit of Dream Theater, and it sounds very good on them)

audylubis

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I used to search for speakers to listen to punk/rock albums. I have tried and still owned Q Acoustics Concept 20 (not enough bass) and Dynaudio Focus 110 (nice bass but too transparent). I settled on Harbeth Super HL5. I think Harbeth SHL5 got enough bass, warm, and transparant enough hence not ruining badly recorded punk albums.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
obiwan kenobi said:
I listen mostly to metal and rock. Unfortunately most bad recording. On many speakers it will sound too bright. Several weeks ago i heard the MA RX 6. Nice sound, but too bright and too much bass). What will be good speakers for this kind of music? On which speakers it wil besound nice?

B&W 684S2 or 685S2

Dynaudio DM 3-7

As for the RX6

RX6 key is only to use cables (speakercables/interconnects) with ofc copper and avoiding brighter amps.They do have a lot of bass you can adjust with the distance to the wall or tone controls and they need an amp well above their price,expecially if you want play loud.They are one of the most picky speakers i had owned/own but if you get things right they are superb for the money able to play all kind of music on a very high level way above their asking price.

As for your style of music I would go with floorstanders,the new 683 S2 B&W could be a good choice and if you like the sound 686 S2 with a 608 Sub (better two) could do it well too.

T

the record spot

Pioneer's S71-B is a good choice, very eighty, solid bass, nicely rounded treble that's very easy on the ear. Those or B&W CM1. Excellent standmount speakers.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
BryO said:
Kyuss, Orange Goblin, Unida, High on Fire, Sleep, QOTSA, Sigiriya, Candlemass and host of other Doom and Stoner Doom bands are definitely what I dig as well!

If you have a soundcloud account check out Glacialpath. Yes I know it's me but that is my music project. They are only Demos at the mo but would be nice to know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/glacialpath/sets/the-order-they-should-be-heard

Also when we have a recording I think my other band The Air Turned To Acid would be right up your street. We got some live videos here from our first gig.

https://www.facebook.com/theairturnedtoacid?ref=hl

:rockout:

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
obiwan kenobi said:
Yes!....On many speakers it sounds horrible. Many speakers too transparant. I heard from a recording engineer Metal is the most difficult music to properly display.

I'm sure I mentioned this before and I don't want to start another Cable argument but I would try some really good quality interconnects. They have tightened up the bass on my system and take a lot of the harshness away which I think is the brightness you are talking about. Sorry if you do just mean the sound is too bright but I don't have any trouble with albums sounding to bright on my setup and I listen to lots or Rock, MEtal, Death Metal, Black Metal, Power Metal and so on.

Again sorry If I have mentioned this or you already have one buta good DAC might help you too. Meaning you may be able to buy any speakers and none of them will be too bright or too bass heavy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts