Which PVR - Humax or Digital Stream?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I have just bought my mom and dad a Sony KDL37EX503 and they want to buy a PVR to go with it. They are both in their 70's but youthful with it and are looking for reasonable quality that enables them to record programmes relatively easily. I have narrowed it down to one of two (unless someone suggests a better alternative) They are the Humax HDR Fox T2 at £299 or the Digital Stream DHR 8205 at £199. What are peoples opinions? In addition they are looking for a tilt/swivel (mainly swivel) wall bracket for the TV but nothing too expensive. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help and advice, both my parents and I would be grateful.

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Capitan

I have a Digistream 8205 and in my opinion it's the best bit of kit that I've ever bought. It's simple to use, with excellent software. However the remote has very small buttons so anyone that is vision impaired or has arthritis in their fingers may find it a challenge - easily overcome by pairing it with a Harmony One remote. From my experience it's unconditionally recommended.

A

Anonymous

Capitan,

Having owned the Humax for a few months, I can thoroughly recommend it from an ease of use perspective. I got rid of the ill-fated Philips 8520 after much perseverance and haven't really looked back. the Humax UI is very good and icons and displays quite easy and clear to read. Like most hard drive PVR's they seem to use a PC 'folder' type system for storing recorded media, I don't know if that's something that your parents will struggle with? If they're reasonably PC literate (implied by your youthful comment), then I don't think they'll have too much trouble navigating their way around the Humax.

I don't think there's a great deal in it between the Humax and Digital Stream apart from price. if price is a big factor (and who wouldn't mind an extra £100 in their pocket!), then perhaps the DS may edge it!

IMO, I don't think you'll have any complaints with the Humax.

Nick

A

Anonymous

Just a quick one...

HUMAX defo,has a few makes,ended up with virgin media now,but humax is the easiest by far,original and best.

I gave my old Humax pvr to my girlfreinds mum to use, and i need to buy a new one for my mum aswell,cos her's is horrendous to use.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I own the Digital Stream, but can tell you the Humax offers these main benefits over it:

1. Network streaming functionality i.e. you'll be able to stream programs on a DLNA enabled PC / NAS and watch them on the Humax.

2. The Internet TV portal services which are coming online soon including iPlayer, Sky Player and YouTube (though the DS will have iPlayer as soon as the BBC start the MHEG broadcast sometime soon).

3. Being able to auto-pad recordings i.e. to set a few minutes either side to absolutely be 100% you'll get the whole recording. Both the DS and the Humax use a system known as Accurate Recording which relies on the Now/Next information provided by the broadcaster. So far, I've only had one recording on the DS where the end was missed in 5 months of ownership. However, some broadcasters can be poor at doing this (Channel 5, I'm looking at you) so the Humax offers a bit of protection from that.

4. Ability to record the buffer i.e. if you've been watching a programme and then decide you'd like to keep it, you can rewind to the beginning and then set it to record. You can't currently do this on the Digital Stream (though it's on the wish list to be implemented).

On the other hand, the Digital Stream is £100 cheaper and also offers a Picture in Picture mode that the Humax doesn't i.e. the ability to watch a channel or a recording and have a small screen in the top right hand corner showing another live channel.

Hopefully this will make things easier to decide between the two - you can also read my fairly thorough review on the Digital Stream here.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Capitan: In addition they are looking for a tilt/swivel (mainly swivel) wall bracket for the TV but nothing too expensive. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help and advice, both my parents and I would be grateful.

Depends what you consider not too expensive . I got one of these because it fits any size TV & I fitted it my self within 1/2 an hour, it has a handy built in spirit level.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
reggaedave:Humax "UI" is the best to use tho,by far the easiest!!!

Tried out the new Humax HDR-Fox T2 in John Lewis - I personally prefer the Digital Stream UI. As always, horses for courses so it's best to have a play for yourself in a shop before deciding.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:
reggaedave:Humax "UI" is the best to use tho,by far the easiest!!!

Tried out the new Humax HDR-Fox T2 in John Lewis - I personally prefer the Digital Stream UI. As always, horses for courses so it's best to have a play for yourself in a shop before deciding.

my only worry is that the "user",from the start of the thread is 70 years old. My mums pvr (some unknown from aldi),is a nitemare to use. The humax is easy and works a dream.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone, sorry for not getting back earlier but I have a broken leg at present making it difficult to get to the computer.

They have decided on the Digital Stream.

That only leaves the swivel wall bracket.

I have heard you have to be careful getting the right one for this particular set.

Also do you need a double arm or will a single arm be ok?

Finally, and most importantly, how many degrees will they swivel?

Where the TV is to be situated, ideally they need one that will swivel 45 degrees and then go back flat(ish) against the wall when not in use.

Do any swivel that far?

Once again, thanks for everybody's help so far :)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Might be best to put in a new post for the bracket - I don't really have any experience with any and people who do may not click on this post as it's headed up about choosing between the DS and the Humax in the Freesat, Sky and Virgin section.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts