Which MC ,and who can fit it for me?

f3a05

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm ancient, and have some gear from the seventies, viz Thorens TD160,and an early Hadcock arm,probably a GH 228 from googling images.

Back then, I had a Coral MC81 cartridge, which gave me the best vinyl listening experience bar none.

Eventually I broke the stylus, life got in the way, and attempts to recreate the sound with a Goldring Eroica, and more recently another,budget, Denon 591, cartridge, have been disappointing.

So, can anyone recommend a shop, or individual, who could advise as to which cartridge to buy up to a £500 limit, and, as I'm quite out of the loop, who could set it up for me?

I could travel, but the nearer to Cambridge would be preferred.

I remember the old Corals, never owned one but I do recall one time being told that the Denon range of cartridges and in particular the Denon DL-103R (rather than the bog-standard 103) had the same sort of sonic signature. This is also a low output MC type and I have owned one. Beautiful sound quality for not a lot of money. Might be worth a try.

I also owned a Goldring Eroice LX but could not get along with the sound so it didn't last long. Currently using a Zyx R100L (not common in the UK and purchase from Japan..... bl**dy brilliant cartridge.

I would assume that any hifi dealer in your area should be able to fit it for you for a small fee. (Aren't Criterion Audio there in Cambridge?)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts