cds, hmv and classical music : news for dinosaurs like me

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Have read lots about alternatives to cds, but I suppose I'm old fashioned. I have 500+ cds, mainly classical. If I want to listen to music, I sit in the lounge and listen to the stereo. I could put them on a hard drive or something, but I like selecting a cd from the shelf and reading the notes etc, and can't see the point.

Buying cds has changed however. Over the years the selection of cds at hmv gradually reduced to the point that they only stocked very popular pieces of classical music. So for anybody who wanted choice beyond that, Amazon was the only answer, and I stopped looking in hmv.

Today, however, I was in town and popped into hmv. I was pleasantly surprised that the previous policy has been reversed. There was a really good selection of classical cds at what looked reasonable prices, which encouraged me to to browse and actually purchase some. The girl at the checkout said following administration they had changed policy and increased the classical stock 3 times over. I noticed there is also now a small dedicated vinyl section.

I suppose If you are going to try and sell cds you might as well target the groups (50+, classical fan, dinosaur) who want to buy them!

If you like cds and classical music and have a hmv nearby, have a look, you might be surprised.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
hi slice :wave:

The company that took over the running said that they would be going back to what HMV used to be, that is a music store so thats why you have seen an increase in cds and vinyl selection.

My local HMV now has a better selection of cds, vinyls, dvds and blurays as they have got rid of the technology section that took up almost half the floor space available.

Happy browsing to you.

:)

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I wish they'd reopen the one near me , it was always crowded , and even on a sunday you had to que , you can't browse properly on amazon

James

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
I wish they'd reopen the one near me , it was always crowded , and even on a sunday you had to que , you can't browse properly on amazon

James

I think you are right. You can search for and look for reviews of different recordings of a particular piece on Amazon, but it was nice to browse a decent choice in a shop and be attracted to something you hadn't previously thought of. I hope it works for them commercially.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Unfortunately there are still stores being closed, one detailed here.

Our local shop closed in the original purge so this branch was one of the next closest.

Sadly not for much longer.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
My local HMV in Leeds has a whole floor just for films, a whole floor for music, and a tiny section for games and tech. Its much better than it was before the business went under, and each time I pop in I end up buying as the pricing isnt that bad anymore.

Good luck to them - I hope they can continue and be a success.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I always give our local HMV first option if I am after music (or movies). If they have it in stock (and the price for the item isn't outrageous), then I prefer to buy there.

Same with our local Waterstones (but more so possibly).

I only use Amazon when I really have no choice nowadays.

If the CD / DVD / BD is from the BBC (and not available in the high street) then i'll buy from the BBC's own online shop. (I buy a lot of BBC CDs so I realise this may not apply to many others here.)

I only have about 80 (ish) classical CDs and seldom buy new ones. Being a bit of a Philistine, HMV's classical section has - mostly - been enough to serve my needs in the past.

I 'lapsed' a little last year and bought some 'Living Stereo' SACD / CD hybrid titles from Amazon simply because there was no other choice.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
I always give our local HMV first option if I am after music (or movies). If they have it in stock (and the price for the item isn't outrageous), then I prefer to buy there.

Same with our local Waterstones (but more so possibly).

I only use Amazon when I really have no choice nowadays.

If the CD / DVD / BD is from the BBC (and not available in the high street) then i'll buy from the BBC's own online shop. (I buy a lot of BBC CDs so I realise this may not apply to many others here.)

I only have about 80 (ish) classical CDs and seldom buy new ones. Being a bit of a Philistine, HMV's classical section has - mostly - been enough to serve my needs in the past.

I 'lapsed' a little last year and bought some 'Living Stereo' SACD / CD hybrid titles from Amazon simply because there was no other choice.
I'm with you on this although my list tends to be vinyl and cds from independent shops in Brighton, i live in Worthing so go there once a month. If I want it on cd immediately then I go to HMV in Worthing. If not available from either of the above then I try an online indie eg Rough Trade or Diverse vinyl.

For books its Waterstones in worthing.

Lastr resort is Amazon.

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
CarlDW said:
My local HMV in Leeds has a whole floor just for films, a whole floor for music, and a tiny section for games and tech. Its much better than it was before the business went under, and each time I pop in I end up buying as the pricing isnt that bad anymore.

Good luck to them - I hope they can continue and be a success.

The one I was in was the Leeds one as well!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts