Which Marantz receiver?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My 10+ years old Pioneer CD player gave up on me so I bought the Marantz CD5001 as a replacement. I want to get a new receiver to go with it, so I am looking at the available Marantz receivers to stay with the same brand - it is not a requirement though if anyone has a better suggestion. Since I am on a budget I figured I would at least look at the possibility of buying second hand. I want to upgrade my old speakers as well, but that will have to wait until I have saved up enough money to get something decent.

From what I can tell the current model from the Marantz homepage is sr4021, the previous is pm7001 and the one before that was pm7200. Is there any significant difference between these 3 models, or would anyone do?

I listen to rock/rap so my current thinking is to get floorstanding speakers (RS6?).

A

Anonymous

The current and only receiver in the Marantz line-up is indeed the SR4021. Unless you absolutely have to have a receiver, then it's a decent product, but a amplifier with a separate tuner would be a far better solution.

The PM7001 is an amplifier (without tuner) and is a cracking product, in my opinion it sounds very good. I haven't heard the PM7200 so I can't comment on that one.

I've compared the SR4021 with the PM7001 and PM4001 and in my opinion both the PM7001 and PM4001 sound clearly better than the SR4021, with the PM7001 being the clear winner.

Like you, I am on a tight budget, and I needed a new amplifier to replace my Marantz PM66KI that broke down. I saved up some, and looked at new stuff, but in the end I bought a used, but in mint condition Marantz PM17. I don't know how far your budget stretches, but it's an cracking amplifier, and can be had for around 450 euros used.

If you want to buy new equipment, the PM6002 reviewed in the januari edition of WHSV might be a nice choice for you, partnered with a ST6001 tuner.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The 7001 and the 7002 amps would be ideal. You'd be able to get some good deals on Ebay also, especially if youre looking to go down then 2nd hand route.

As for speakers, i'd take a look at either B&W 602 S2 or B&W 602 S3 stand-mount speakers on Ebay as well as Acoustic Energy AE109 floor standing speakers, or if your budget allows, B&W 603 S2 / S3 floorstanding speakers.

All will go well with the music you listen too and the CD player and amp choices. Another good amp to consider could the the NAD C320BEE amp or the Rotel RA-03 or the Rotel RA-04 amps, both very good.

Ebay, in Jan 08 will be rife with good deals for all/any of the above as people will be looking to upgrade their systems so maybe it would be worth waiting till then etc...

A

Anonymous

It seems I have misread the specs completely and that the pm7200 is an amplifier as well. My reason to pick a receiver is to save space, but if makes that much of a difference I will have to reconsider that choice.

Thanks for the suggestions so far
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

A seller of a Marantz PM6010KI contacted me via email, without a listed price though. Does anyone know how this amplifier compares to say PM6002/7001? It is listed at the archived section of the Marantz web page, but amplifier specs tell me very little. What would be a fair price for the 6010 in good condition?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts