Which is the best HDMI Cable for around £50? (04/09/11)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey people I'm new to these forums and to hdmi. I have recently bought a Sony Bravia TV. (http://www.sony.co.uk/product/tv-80-32-lcd/kdl-32ex723#pageType=ProductBenefits) Mine is the 37 inch version. I have it connected to my ps3 using a cheap hdmi cable and I'm looking to upgrade to better one. I am willing to spend around £50 on the cable, I know its not alot compared to some of the high end cables. So I would appreciate it if you could give me any advice on which to choose.

Thanks in advance to those that reply

Your TV is only 37 inches, & you don't have a dedicated home cinema system. You won't notice any difference between a cheap & expensive HDMI cable (in any case, I don't believe expensive HDMI cables make any difference based on my experience).

If you still want to check it yourself, buy it from someone who is willing to accept returns so that you can return it if you find no difference.

A

Anonymous

Totally agree with bigboss. I have a 37 inch telly (Sony) and tried 2 different cables, one cheap and cheerful, one expensive. Didn't see an ounce of difference. Consider the journey the TV signal takes. It gets intercepted by a piece of aluminium junk strapped to your chimney (aerial), travels 30 feet down the cheapest coax cable the aerial engineer could lay his hands on, gets terminated in a cheapo aluminium socket, then exits the socket and travels to your freeview box/TV, again terminated in a 50p aluminium plug. What then can the last 3 feet of cable (the HDMI) do to improve things one would ask?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
nick8858 said:
Totally agree with bigboss. I have a 37 inch telly (Sony) and tried 2 different cables, one cheap and cheerful, one expensive. Didn't see an ounce of difference. Consider the journey the TV signal takes. It gets intercepted by a piece of aluminium junk strapped to your chimney (aerial), travels 30 feet down the cheapest coax cable the aerial engineer could lay his hands on, gets terminated in a cheapo aluminium socket, then exits the socket and travels to your freeview box/TV, again terminated in a 50p aluminium plug. What then can the last 3 feet of cable (the HDMI) do to improve things one would ask?
I have a 50 inch Kuro and I tried 3 different cables, one 5* What Hifi and two free. Nobody in the house could tell the difference.

A

Anonymous

As with most others here, the cheap cable you already have is perfectly fine

A

Anonymous

+1 for cheap cable. If it works then it works as well as any. It's a physical impossibility for one HDMI cable to have "deeper blacks" or "richer colour" than another. Errors show as banding, and it means you need a new cable, not one costing £50. There are some great, well made and insulated cables on ebay for under a tenner.

A

Anonymous

bearwolfblade said:
nick8858 you're an idiot your talking about an standard definition aerial tv signal. he wanted a hdmi for his HD playstaion 3 and a HD 3D tv. do you really think a hdmi cable will improve a SD tv signal. if your going to give advice make sure its right first and stop listening to trolls. better hdmi cables do make a difference in both picture and sound quality but ony from a HD source .and yes i used to be sceptical until i brought one

I disagree. And your post will probably get deleted because you're being personal and insulting. Not called for.

As for expensive HDMI cables...What difference exactly fo you imagine you see?

bearwolfblade

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
read nick8858 comments first he's trying to get hd picture from sd tv by using hdmi .in my comment i said better hdmi cables not expensive ones. and in my experience the picture was sharper and clearer and what you all are saying that is WHF hdmi cables reviews are wrong and mean nothing

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
pauls777 said:
They work 100% or they fail. Just like anything else in the digital domain, go to you tube and enter Jeff Boccaccio, he should know :)

Yes, let's see what his company has to say... http://www.dpllabs.com/page/what-does-dpl-test Also, try the FAQ page. Here you can find... With so many HDMI™ cables on the market, the only way to know for sure which cable exceeds industry standards for performance and reliability is to look for the DPL Seal of Approval. Exceeds? But you claim they're all the same?

A

Anonymous

Lee H said:
pauls777 said:
They work 100% or they fail. Just like anything else in the digital domain, go to you tube and enter Jeff Boccaccio, he should know :)

Yes, let's see what his company has to say... http://www.dpllabs.com/page/what-does-dpl-test Also, try the FAQ page. Here you can find... With so many HDMI™ cables on the market, the only way to know for sure which cable exceeds industry standards for performance and reliability is to look for the DPL Seal of Approval. Exceeds? But you claim they're all the same?
They work 100%, or they fail, there is no middle ground, it's as simple as that. Exceeding the industry standards is nice i guess, but all it means if one cable exceeds them by more than another is that both are fine for public sale, will do what they are designed to do, but perhaps one may be less likely to fail than the other, in the highly unlikely event that either would.

Fail, read it again, Fail. Not nearly fail, not nearly work, not work nearly as good as another, just FAIL. The only consideration when buying a hdmi cable (speed, spec of cable aside) is that it meets industry standards, so is highly unlikely to fail. That's it, it doesn't matter if it costs a pound or a grand, or if it's made by aldi or Gucci..

A

Anonymous

bearwolfblade said:
read nick8858 comments first he's trying to get hd picture from sd tv by using hdmi .in my comment i said better hdmi cables not expensive ones. and in my experience the picture was sharper and clearer and what you all are saying that is WHF hdmi cables reviews are wrong and mean nothing

Well I am not saying that, but I believe they are mistaken, as with all digital cables. I think they are trying to judge subjectively something which can be entirely judged objectively. An HDMI cable either works, or it doesn't. Definitely buying a well made one is useful, but that should not cost much more than a tenner.

If the bits arrive in one piece at the TV from the PS3 (or SKY HD Box say).. how can the picture be sharper or clearer? I've seen a faulty cable or 2, and one simply didn't work, and the other produced horrible lines acorss the screen. The second one was a £35 Sony PS3 cable, and it got replaced for £8 on Ebay...now works perfectly and is crystal clear.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Again, from the site... "We have seen many cables fail our testing process as only the best can pass the test. To receive a DPL Labs’ Seal of Approval, the cable must exceed by a substantial margin HDMI™ minimum standards. Only top quality cables are able to earn a Seal of Approval." How can something exceed minimum standards if they're all the same?

A

Anonymous

Lee H said:
Again, from the site... "We have seen many cables fail our testing process as only the best can pass the test. To receive a DPL Labs’ Seal of Approval, the cable must exceed by a substantial margin HDMI™ minimum standards. Only top quality cables are able to earn a Seal of Approval." How can something exceed minimum standards if they're all the same?
I don't like conversing with bottom licking sychophants like you Lee, it bores me..

When whfi have to publish a public apology on the front of their magazine, it will be because i have enabled the PCC to act on them breaking the codes of conduct that all printed media and press have to adhere to.

One of the main reasons i have done so is to finally put a stop to the shameful lies that are given credence by you and professorhat, and a few more of whfis backup crew, remember that going forward :wave:

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
pauls777 said:
Lee H said:
I don't like conversing with bottom licking sychophants like you Lee, it bores me..

When whfi have to publish a public apology on the front of their magazine, it will be because i have enabled the PCC to act on them breaking the codes of conduct that all printed media and press have to adhere to.

One of the main reasons i have done so is to finally put a stop to the shameful lies that are given credence by you and professorhat, and a few more of whfis backup crew, remember that going forward :wave:

:wave:

A

Anonymous

as long as the HDMi cable you have now works, and is a tight enough fit so that i doesnt fall out, keep it. there is no difference in cables which transfare a digital signal from component to component. if the signal gets there with your cheap one, itl get there just the same as it would through a cable which costs £300, albeit just not a stylishly 8)

bearwolfblade

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
nick8858 said:
and the flat-earthers strike again

bearwolfblade

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
kilohawk said:
as long as the HDMi cable you have now works, and is a tight enough fit so that i doesnt fall out, keep it. there is no difference in cables which transfare a digital signal from component to component. if the signal gets there with your cheap one, itl get there just the same as it would through a cable which costs £300, albeit just not a stylishly 8)
strange i thought you needed a 1.4 compatible hdmi for 3D to work which is different to the standard 1.3 hdmi. so not all cables are the same then

A

Anonymous

ah i see, i never looked at the link he posted :oops: :doh:

in that case then, buy the cheapest v1.4 cable you can find with the fastest delivery :p

EDITED BY MODS - please don't link to sites containing profanity

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts