which integrated amp should i buy?

bgskjs

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I'm looking for an integrated amp and was hoping the What Hi-Fi community could provide some assistance. I've been doing quite a bit of research lately and have come to an impasse. A paradox of choice actually. Do I spend $700 (Marantz PM6005), upgrade somewhat to $1000 (Marantz PM7005), or do I pony up and spend $1500 or $2000 (Peachtree Nova 125SE or 220 SE). My current use-case is fairly bland: Music Hall 2.2 turntable to integrated amp to Sonos. However, I don't mind paying a bit extra now if it means option value (e.g. adding a nice pair of floor speakers).

So ... the question is ... how do I decide? Any recommendations or suggestions? While doing research the Marantz and Peachtree amps continually popped up as providing a great balance between performance and value. But feel free to recommend another amp if you think I'm headed in the wrong direction. Note that finding the right balance between performance and value is where I'd like to land. I don't want to spend more than I need to, but am willing to spend "enough" in order to build out a great system.

Thanks! Cheers.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Are those US$s prices? If so look a bit over the top, the Marantz 6005 is £250 here. Hard to advise as dont know what else is available, do you have Rega, NAD, Creek and Arcam and if so what prices?

D

Deleted member 108165

Blimey that's expensive for the PM6005, you can get them in the UK for £250!

I can only comment on Marantz as I upgraded from the PM/CD6004 to the Pearl Lite PM/SA, (the Pearl Lite would have been similar to the PM8004 model in the US; now revised to PM8005). Personally, I found the difference subtle, it was not night/day; others will undoubtedly disagree but that's my opinion. The most significant change was with speakers; I moved from MA to PMC. Obviously the pricier amp will probably control floorstanders better, but in my matchbox-sized lounge floorstanders were overkill for me. Sorry can't comment about Peachtree as I've never owned one.

Regarding your turntable I'll say to you what my local dealer said to me when I purchased my Project Carbon - my current amp could probably take a better tt. A plus point for the Marantz amps is that they have internal phono-stages so one less thing to fork-out for.

aob9

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
The Denon 720 is a lovely amp in my opinion having compared it to others in a similar price bracket. It can be got a great price at the moment. Maybe an upgrade is due soon.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes Marantz seem over priced in the USA market, I would not want to be paying more than $400 for a 6005. If I were you I would look at some USA amps, I gather you can get Crown amps for around $500, or even look at used ones like Bryston which have a 20 year warranty.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
If you want digital inputs plus USB input and a phono stage then look no further than the Marantz 7005. I don't think the Peachtree Nova 125 will sound any better than this Marantz does. The Marantz has a phono stage the Peachtree does not. The Marantz should give you all the power you need unless you buy some real power hungry low 4 ohm rated speakers. But the Nova gives you more power and probably has a better built in DAC. The Nova is Class D the Marantz is not. I ususally prefer non Class D amps based on sound quality. The Marantz is made in Japan the Peachtree is American designed but made in China. The Marantz is less expensive. My nod slightly goes to the Marantz for the win.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
That´s easy,if the 220SE is in reach,get it.Fantastic amp and Dac and also great for headphones for around 2K Usd.It would easily drive some Magnepan properly as well,that says someting as most amps around that price tag won´t.Probably you won´t look any further for a long time if any,that is much cheaper than switching boxes by time on long term.It´s a great unit to build a system around if it fullfills your needs as it has limited amount of analogue inputs.As a US-resident a nobrainer for me out of your presented options.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts