Which Floor Standing Speakers ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just finished my trip to the local HiFi shops. below are the makes/models tested + comments.

1) Moniter Audio : RX6 - Good high + Mid + low, but a little bit on the bright side.

2) KEF : Q700/900 - Good High, Very good mid, but really missing the low.

3) B&W : 684/683 - Average high, muddy mid, average low.

Seem to me that I couldn't manage to find a perfect floor standing speaker.

Any other makes/models around the similar price range to recommend for me to audit?

Thanks in advance.

tane0019 said:
Just finished my trip to the local HiFi shops. below are the makes/models tested + comments.

1) Moniter Audio : RX6 - Good high + Mid + low, but a little bit on the bright side.

2) KEF : Q700/900 - Good High, Very good mid, but really missing the low.

3) B&W : 684/683 - Average high, muddy mid, average low.

Seem to me that I couldn't manage to find a perfect floor standing speaker.

Any other makes/models around the similar price range to recommend for me to audit?

Thanks in advance.

What amp and source do you have?

T

the record spot

Wait for the the new Epos range to come out, maybe also consider some of the Acoustic Energy floorstanders and/or if you're prepared to dig around and find a set in good nick, some 90s models from the likes of Mission (752), KEF (Q35.2) and the like. The Missions were £500 in their day, the KEFs £350 and still excellent today.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
All speakers are compromises, so you're unlikely to find the 'perfect loudspeaker', especially at this price point, but you can look for one with e least set of compromises (to you anyway).
KEF's tend to be leaner than most, hence the 'very good mid'.

T

the record spot

tane0019 said:
plastic penguin said:
What amp and source do you have?

Amp = Onkyo TX NR808

Player = OPPO BDP 93

Shouldn't have any issues with these two - the Onkyo range is meant to sound really good for their AV receivers. The Oppo is well rated too.

SDIESEL77

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hey,

I just replaced my KEF speakers (IQ5SE) by a pair of B&W 683 and to me the improvement was massive!

I have tried few speakers : KEF Q700, SA Aura, B&W CM7. For the test I brought my amp to the shop (YAQIN MC-100B Custom) and I didn't feel the "Average high, muddy mid, average low" like you. According to me the sound was really what I was looking for.

As mention upper, the amp is also a very important part of your listening test.

A

Anonymous

Going to find time to test out the following floorstanding over the next few weekend.

EPOS : M161 / M221

DALI : IKON 5 Mk2 / IKON 6 Mk2

TOTAM : Arro

DYNAUDIO : DM3-7

NEAT : Motive 2

As for the PrpAc : think it is too expensive & out of the pricing range for me.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
tane0019 said:
Going to find time to test out the following floorstanding over the next few weekend.

EPOS : M161 / M221

DALI : IKON 5 Mk2 / IKON 6 Mk2

TOTAM : Arro

DYNAUDIO : DM3-7

NEAT : Motive 2

As for the PrpAc : think it is too expensive & out of the pricing range for me.

please report back wity your findings!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts