Which Flavour fo LINUX are You Using?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
GRRR....

The Tippex fairies got at my original post again...:roll:

Keeping it short - which flavour of LINUX gets the vote?

I'd like cross patform (PC and Sparc) compatibility which makes Open Solaris an obvious choice, but would appreciate recommendations for any others.

Thanks.

daveh75

Been using Linux Mint 'Cinnamon' for some time now and loving it.

The only minor niggle for me is their habit of bloating by including multiple applications that do the same job, I don't need 4 media players for instance, even if I did, i'm capable of issuing "sudo apt-get install" to get them.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Been using Linux Mint 'Cinnamon' for some time now and loving it. The only minor niggle for me is their habit of bloating by including multiple applications that do the same job, I don't need 4 media players for instance, even if I did, i'm capable of issuing "sudo apt-get install" to get them.

All Linux flavours are like that. That's supposed to be the point. I take your point, however. It would be nice to get an "all on one CD" solution. However, there is. It's called Windows. GRRRRR!!!! :)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I've tried Mint and Ubuntu. I tried OPENSuse, but that didn't work out.

That's all behind me now though and unless something goes horribly wrong somewhere along the line, I'll probably stick with Mac OSX or its derivitives.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I had the latest Mint on my laptop for a while, but in the end I have put Win 8 back on on it which just feels faster, smoother and less half-baked for general use. Even if this laptop is pretty quick i7 1.6 and HD5870M GPU the flash performance with Linux is pants.

;(

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I use debian. I've not tried the rpm or gentoo based distros. Best to stick to one set or the other in my view.
Ubuntus a friendly enough deb based distro for the linux beginner.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts