How many computers do you own?

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I own 12 computers.
The modern computers I own: 2 desktop PC's, one is running windows 11 and another is running Linux Arch, one laptop running Linux mint, an Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 ultra tablet and a Sony Xperia 10 IV smartphone.

Retro computers I own which are all currently up and running in my apartment: An Apple Mac Pro from 2012, an Commodore Amiga 1200 in a tower (my favourite computer I own), an Atari ST, an Acorn Archimedes, an Commodore 64 (which I have online), an ZX Spectrum and a BBC Micro.

I don't expect anyone too own as many computers as I own.

abacus

I have cut mine down to 5 at the moment, and have used most of the ones you mention in the past. (My first was a Sinclair ZX 81 in the early eighties and some great fun programming, I also had an Atari ST instead of an Amiga as it had Midi Ports as standard and thus great for using with keyboards/expanders etc.)

Bill

Gray

1 laptop (the cheapest I could find)
1 smartphone (the cheapest I could find)
2 Raspberry Pi......you know they were cheap.

When they first came out, I worked for a company that repaired Sinclair ZX Spectrums.
I got given a new one - and gave it straight to my younger brother - he loved it, started his interest (and eventual career) in computers.

I've got zero interest in computers, didn't even own one until 8 years ago.

I used the laptop to convert CDs to FLAC.
I use the Pis to play them.
I use the phone to control the Pis

If it wasn't for my use with music, I probably wouldn't even own a phone, let alone the computers.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
1 laptop (the cheapest I could find)
1 smartphone (the cheapest I could find)
2 Raspberry Pi......you know they were cheap.

When they first came out, I worked for a company that repaired Sinclair ZX Spectrums.
I got given a new one - and gave it straight to my younger brother - he loved it, started his interest (and eventual career) in computers.

I've got zero interest in computers, didn't even own one until 8 years ago.

I used the laptop to convert CDs to FLAC.
I use the Pis to play them.
I use the phone to control the Pis

If it wasn't for my use with music, I probably wouldn't even own a phone, let alone the computers.
You need a computer to get online and you need to be online to do anything these days like banking as more and more banks are shutting their branches and going online only So you would have to own at lest one computer even if you were not using it for music.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I have cut mine down to 5 at the moment, and have used most of the ones you mention in the past. (My first was a Sinclair ZX 81 in the early eighties and some great fun programming, I also had an Atari ST instead of an Amiga as it had Midi Ports as standard and thus great for using with keyboards/expanders etc.)

Bill
My Atari ST and Amiga 1200 I own today are the original ones I owned in the mid 90's. Loved my ST then and I love it now. I was born in 84 so I was to young to have used any of the computers made by Mr Sinclair and as much as I enjoy owing the Spectrum today if I had been around in the early 80's I would not have enjoyed typing on the keyboard of an ZX 81 or Spectrum trying to program on them, hell no.

Gray

You need a computer to get online and you need to be online to do anything these days like banking as more and more banks are shutting their branches and going online only So you would have to own at lest one computer even if you were not using it for music.
I know why you need some form of online presence these days. It's the way of the world.
(A world where people can call themselves 'non binary'.
Still, all progress is good 🤔).

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
23, Wow, and I thought I owned a lot of computers. Smartphones and tablets are computers. What makes you think they are not?

Technically they are, but then so is a Game boy / XBOX / Digital Photo Frame / Smart Fridge.

I wouldn't dream of trying to do any real productive work on a smartphone. Most of the time not on a tablet either.

Reactions: Gray

DCarmi

I wouldn't dream of trying to do any real productive work on a smartphone
I've done real work in e.g. a hotel room, using the room's TV, my phone/tablet and Samsung Dex. I have a bluetooth keyboard with trackpad which folds to be a little bigger than my phone and it works well enough. I can do MS Office stuff and connect to my work systems using my work VPN.

My work notes are mostly made on a tablet with a pen. I haven't used a paper pad for about 3 years and I hardly ever print anything, these days. Also, if I have need of an additional monitor on my computer, I can connect my tablet wirelessly and use that as one.

singularity6

Oct 3, 2022
Visit site
I own 12 computers.
The modern computers I own: 2 desktop PC's, one is running windows 11 and another is running Linux Arch, one laptop running Linux mint, an Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 ultra tablet and a Sony Xperia 10 IV smartphone.

Retro computers I own which are all currently up and running in my apartment: An Apple Mac Pro from 2012, an Commodore Amiga 1200 in a tower (my favourite computer I own), an Atari ST, an Acorn Archimedes, an Commodore 64 (which I have online), an ZX Spectrum and a BBC Micro.

I'm down to 2 functioning computers, at the moment. I don't count mobile devices... I have several of those, though.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
I own 12 computers.

Not too sure about THIS thread... but do You want a wee star, and if so, in what colour ?

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
The short answer - too many - haha!
I`ve been doing `puters in a serious way since 1980
Then I gave them a rest after working for ICL as a corporate mainframe systems analyst (The old British equivalent of IBM)
I had to change careers and work from home so I got a right pup from PC World and ended up learning about Windows 95 myself and building them from scratch.
Now there`s not much I can`t do with them going to Linux stuff eventually.
Now I have Dell and HP workstations upstairs with JBOD`s and raid 0,1 and 6 redhat Linux server rigs - altogether there`s 50 TB and downstairs there`s another 100 TB on loads of SSD`s and NVMe`s, I have 15 drives plugged into an Asus ROG - it`s been on 4 years 24/7 now the fan sounds like a hairdryer with asthma - thank god I`ve got another 3 triple boot Linux/Win/Android laptops as back-up.
Over 25 years I`ve collected between 3-4 million films, documentaries and albums and I have about 600,000 complete websites that are backed up offline.
I have over fifty browsers and about 20 operating systems on 8 computers.
Now I can even access all my files on my phone and laptop remotely from anywhere in the World.That`s not on the cloud - no I have remote access to 150 TB of servers that are not on very limited (to me) NAS drives.I could do that 10 years ago.
Here`s a few of my old rigs and my downstairs effort.
LAPDOG CHAOS.jpgDesk.jpgKEYBOARD TWO.jpgKEYBOARD THREE.jpgKEYBOARD ONE.jpg

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts