Which DAC - New Beresford vs Dacmagic

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Apologies if this is resurecting an old theme.

I have decided to buy a DAC to connect my laptop to hifi.

For my budget the new Beresford 7520 (£150)and Dacmagic (£230) seem good choices.

I am happy to pay the extra for the Dacmagic if I am getting better quality or more features.

Any thoughts?

A

Anonymous

Buy both.

Try them out. Return the loser.

If it's USB-only you require try an M-Audio Transit too.And you may as well put an MF V-DAC on the list..?

However, if you've already got a CD192 I'd be inclined to up the budget and get a DAC that betters it.

John Duncan

You're getting better build quality and aesthetics with the DACMagic, but I'd suggest the sonic improvements are about what you'd expect from an additional fifty quid here or there. Agreed, M-Audio and Edirol are not to be overlooked if you don't mind it looking "computery" rather than "hifiy".

I'd be inclined not to up the budget yet, as I'd expect lossless and DAC to give the 192 a reasonable run for its money, especially if you got it at its latter end-of-line bargain price.

Lastly, do consider a wireless solution (there are several available) to untether your laptop, which to me would be a PITA.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have heard both. My experience of hearing the DacMagic is (approximately) 50 hours by now.

See my signature for my decision.

The Beresford is £149.99 + VAT (according to website) in the UK and not £150 as stated above. (Unless you are ordering it from Overseas I guess.)

The TC-7520 is more flexible (2 x coax + 1 x optical + 1 x USB) in that it also includes a built in headphone amp and the option to use variable output if you want to use it as a DAC/Pre-amp into a power amp or desktop powered speakers.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Have you stuck the Beresford in your mate's Primare/Focal (IIRC) system, Chebby?

I won't comment further on the Beresford. And no, no comparison done in his system. But we have compared my previous setup (Firestone Audio Fubar II USB DAC with OPA2107AP op-amp upgrade and dedicated £105 'supplier' power supply) and it sounded much leaner. Not as good as his Rega Apollo - which was rather special - but to my ears much more balanced across the spectrum than the Cambridge and easier to listen to for long periods.

matthewpiano

Have you considered a Squeezebox? It connects to your computer through your wireless network and it will stream all the lossless formats, and contains dual Wolfson DACs. Sound quality, even through the A400 which is a revealing amplifier, is superb and it gives you all sorts of browsing and searching options for your collection as well as offering access to internet radio. Its very sensitive to interconnects - Chord Crimson is an absolute minimum - but well worth the effort. It also looks smart and has an excellent remote control. Going price at the moment seems to be about £180 and, with Apple Lossless, its giving me sound quality to match (and in many cases better) any CD player I've heard.

John Duncan

(and there's one in a second hand shop in Kingston for 95 quid which is calling me
emotion-2.gif
)

John Duncan

chebby:
JohnDuncan:Have you stuck the Beresford in your mate's Primare/Focal (IIRC) system, Chebby?
I won't comment further on the Beresford. And no, no comparison done in his system.

Shame, on both counts. Might have helped the OP to hear views on a direct comparison in the same system, since very few people outside the WHF listening rooms have heard both as you have......

A

Anonymous

I don't think price should be a consideration here... You can negotiate 20-30 off on DacMagic bringing it to 200 (I got 30 off). Beresford 7520 is about 185 on the site with shipping and VAT - so all-in-all you're looking at 15-20 pound difference which is immaterial imho in the big picture.

So pick one based on sound and features. I haven't done a comp but I like my DacMagic.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:chebby:

I won't comment further on the Beresford. And no, no comparison done in his system.

Shame, on both counts. Might have helped the OP to hear views on a direct comparison in the same system, since very few people outside the WHF listening rooms have heard both as you have......

Though of course we haven't heard the new Beresford yet- only its five-star baby brother...

So yes, would love to hear thoughts, Chebby, on how you feel the two shape up. Perfect thread to do so
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I will repeat the offer I made a few weeks ago when I first got it.

I can bring it up to WHF towers any day during this coming week (I have this week off).

So long as I can take it back home with me the same day of course
emotion-2.gif

I was thinking of a trip to London anyway.

(E-mail me if you like.)

idc

chebby:

I will repeat the offer I made a few weeks ago when I first got it.

I can bring it up to WHF towers any day during this coming week (I have this week off).

So long as I can take it back home with me the same day of course
emotion-2.gif

I was thinking of a trip to London anyway.

(E-mail me if you like.)

And for those of us who live where the stags roam free in the glens and the men wear skirts, how about just telling us on this forum!?

A

Anonymous

idc:
And for those of us who live where the stags roam free in the glens and the men wear skirts, how about just telling us on the forum?!ÿ

ÿ

ÿSeems a bit prejudice. We lowlanders would quite like to know too...ÿ

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Well hopefully it would give WHF a chance to 'first test' it with qualified/experienced reviewers rather than have me banging on about it here - groping for suitable adjectives and using all sorts of inappropriate pseudo-syn‘sthetic similes.
emotion-18.gif

Then everyone can benefit from a 'proper' impartial first impression.

A

Anonymous

Octopo:idc:
And for those of us who live where the stags roam free in the glens and the men wear skirts, how about just telling us on the forum?!ÿ

ÿ

ÿSeems a bit prejudice. We lowlanders would quite like to know too...ÿ

Am I missing something?

We are talking about pieces of hifi equipment not asking to reveal state secrets.

Why is this so cloak and dagger?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
al7478:Well this has gone in the sensible direction of all previous threads on the topic, has'nt it?

Regrettably.

The problem is that whenever I have voiced my impressions of the DacMagic, it is assumed (by the DM majority here) that (a) my hearing faculties are faulty, or (b) the system I have heard it in is faulty, or (c) the settings on the computer are all wrong. This has also happened to one or two others who have dared to say they don't like the DacMagic.

The new Beresford TC-7520 has a problem (at least on this this forum) in that it's NOT a DacMagic.

I don't think any 'DIY' review from me is going to alter any perceptions and may even do it a dis-service in light of my system and my musical tastes (that regularly come under attack from some quarters due to my choice of Arcam Solo-Mini, dislike of heavy metal, preference for detail and
imagery rather than 'slam' and my preference for listening at moderate volume levels).

When I first got the Beresford I also 'queered the pitch' a bit by posting my favourable impressions of it in a somewhat inappropriate thread and being requested not to 'promote' it
again by a member of WHF staff. For a brief time I think it was suspected I may be linked in some way to Beresford.

Despite re-assurances and encouragement from WHF staff members to post a review since then I think the damage is done.

The hegemony of the DacMagic is almost total which is why I think it better to await someone else to 'review' the new Beresford or await an official WHF first test, which at least will be beyond any suspicion of partiality.

The offer of my own TC-7520 for WHF to use for a test stands.

idc

chebby:

I don't think any 'DIY' review from me is going to alter any perceptions and may even do it a dis-service in light of my system and my musical tastes (that regularly come under attack from some quarters due to my choice of Arcam Solo-Mini, dislike of heavy metal, preference for detail and imagery rather than 'slam' and my preference for listening at moderate volume levels).

Hi chebby, firstly can I say sorry if my attempt at a light hearted comment didn't work (and that also includes lowlanders who I may have upset!). Secondly, The paragaraph I have quoted works as a very good mini review of what I assume is how the Beresford sounds in your system. I too look for detail and imagery, but like a bit of slam and have to listen to music at moderate levels, hence my move to primarily listening on headphones.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
al7478:Well this has gone in the sensible direction of all previous threads on the topic, has'nt it?

Regrettably.

The problem is that whenever I have voiced my impressions of the DacMagic, it is assumed (by the DM majority here) that (a) my hearing faculties are faulty, or (b) the system I have heard it in is faulty, or (c) the settings on the computer are all wrong. This has also happened to one or two others who have dared to say they don't like the DacMagic.

The new Beresford TC-7520 has a problem (at least on this this forum) in that it's NOT a DacMagic.

I don't think any 'DIY' review from me is going to alter any perceptions and may even do it a dis-service in light of my system and my musical tastes (that regularly come under attack from some quarters due to my choice of Arcam Solo-Mini, dislike of heavy metal, preference for detail and
imagery rather than 'slam' and my preference for listening at moderate volume levels).

When I first got the Beresford I also 'queered the pitch' a bit by posting my favourable impressions of it in a somewhat inappropriate thread and being requested not to 'promote' it
again by a member of WHF staff. For a brief time I think it was suspected I may be linked in some way to Beresford.

Despite re-assurances and encouragement from WHF staff members to post a review since then I think the damage is done.

The hegemony of the DacMagic is almost total which is why I think it better to await someone else to 'review' the new Beresford or await an official WHF first test, which at least will be beyond any suspicion of partiality.

The offer of my own TC-7520 for WHF to use for a test stands.

Poor little you. Feeling hard done by?

Stop wallowing in self-pitty and just say what you want to say ... or not, in which case don't comment on it at all and do us all a favour buddy.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I do think you have taken things rather personally Chebby, wish you would just give your opinion on th eberesford where appropriate.

However, the popularity of the Dacmagic is assured, come what may, despite one or two on here saying that thers little difference in sound. And indifference to its glorified tone controls.

A big name and high price really is very reassuring. But then im guilty of that too sometimes (see my explanation of why i bought QED cables for my BDP and TV/Sky box, regardless of the fact any improvement is unnoticed by, and wasted on, me)..

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
Ok thanks. I think you summed it up very well in far fewer words than me.

Got an ad for AVI for this hour?

Apologies, my post came over harder than intended but you do go on about it. My AVI suggestion for today is on another thread.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:chebby:

Ok thanks. I think you summed it up very well in far fewer words than me.

Got an ad for AVI for this hour?

Apologies, my post came over harder than intended but you do go on about it. My AVI suggestion for today is on another thread.

Which thread? I'm going to listen to the 9.1s soon. Over budget, but worth it if theyre good enough and i do'nt upgrade again for years.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I could'nt possibly comment on it now my feelings have been hurt by being accused of sinister promotion of AVI products ...
emotion-1.gif

Na, kidding. Over on plastic penguins 'Live' thread.

TRENDING THREADS