Which Budget Phono cables for SACD player & SACD recommendations

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I have started listening to SACDs and want to upgrade the nasty ancient phono cables I am using. Listening to DSOTM and Dire Straits currently which are impressive / immersive, but needs a sonic upgrade.

Current system Arcam AVR 280 amp, Marantz DV6001 DVD/SACD player and B&W MT20 surround system.

2 cables I am thinking about are Ecosse Best Boy (£25 a pair) or Chord Crimson (£30 a pair) times by 3 pairs! Are these much of a muchness? Can anyone comment on which is best / characteristics of each?

I am also going to invest in some more SACD / DVD Audio discs so any recommendations of good recordings / discs would be cool. Like most music tastes although prefer rock.

Also, are there new releases coming out in this format still?

Cheers

Ambrose

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I love the remastered Genesis albums in surround sound - sorry, my era, but not everyone's thing! Mind you, if you're listening to Dire Straits...........?

The DVD-A which comes with the special edition of the Beatles 'Love' album is also spectacular - amongst other tracks, Mr Kite with swirling fairground music is amazing.

A

Anonymous

On DVD-A, I recommend Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, in particular for Christine McVie's stunning vocal performances, and Alice Cooper's Welcome To My Nightmare, which is an artfully thought-through surround experience.

On SACD, Peter Gabriel's solo albums all sound great, of which I'd particularly recommend So for its' clarity and the recent Up for the surround sound qualities. In stereo SACD, there's a fair few Bob Dylan albums to go at, of which I'd recommend particularly Blonde On Blonde, Bringing It All Back Home and Oh Mercy.

There's a fair few REM albums on DVD-A, but I find the surround mixes to be a little gimmicky.

A

Anonymous

If you like the Floyd then you might like Porcupine Tree. Their last five albums are available in DVD-A and come with 24/48 DVDA 5.1 and stereo mixes. I also have the CD/DVD version of Queen's 'A Night at the Opera' and whilst I am not a huge Queen fan the surround mix of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' in DTS96 is worth the price alone. A couple of The Flaming Lips' albums are available in DVDA also but I haven't heard them yet so can't comment (I only have the CD versions.)

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Sorreltiger:

I love the remastered Genesis albums in surround sound - sorry, my era, but not everyone's thing! Mind you, if you're listening to Dire Straits...........?

The DVD-A which comes with the special edition of the Beatles 'Love' album is also spectacular - amongst other tracks, Mr Kite with swirling fairground music is amazing.
The 1970-75 set was the reason I bought an SACD player and I was not disappointed

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for your comments and recommendations and nice to know there is still excitement and interest in this format. I'll search around and see what I can find.

Shame, some particular albums are hard to come by or very expensive.

I am desperate to get hold of Deep Purple's Machine Head. Any good places to buy SACDs / DVD Audio that can be recommended please?

Thanks again

Ambrose

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts