Which active speaker and sub combo?

musicalbanks

Nov 11, 2019
Visit site
Hi,
Hoping you guys can help me narrow down some options for the audio set up in our new house.
Room is the family room which opens in to the kitchen, so not a simple square space.
The decor is fairly minimalist, so big speakers aren't really a viable option.
I tend to stream music over Google Chromecast from the iPhone, through Spotify or BBC6 on their relative apps. I also have a big old record collection which would be nice to involve easily enough.
I've auditioned the Ruark MR1 and the KEF LSX recently in Richer Sounds. They both sounded lovely, the KEF's showing real detail. Based on certain audition tracks with very low frequency bass however, I realised they wouldn't be quite enough for me on their own. With larger speakers, especially floorstanders, out of the equation, I have started to think of combining with a sub.
I'm quite used to a 2.1 set up for desktop speakers (Acoustic energy AEGO M) and actually have an old pair of B&O 8000's connected to a B&W PV1 sub in the lounge. I know this will get sneers from true audiophiles, but for my hearing they do me fine.
So, I'm wondering about what small speaker and sub combo would be good? or, are there small active speakers which will have the bass weight on their own that I am looking for?
I like the Ruarks, although I worry they don't quite have the presence for the room.
Maybe Audioengine HD6? (love the aesthetics of those) or the Acoustic energy AE1 or KEF's matched to a sub?
Any options I am missing?

Reactions: MUSICRAFT

abacus

Although getting on a bit the sub was top notch in its day (And still a force to be reckoned with) and ideal for music, so unless there is something wrong with it, just change the speakers and see how it goes.

Bill

Active speakers around the size of the LSX - if you can find many - won’t be any better on bass. Even with active systems, there’s only so much bass you’re going to get with a small cabinet and small bass driver. Going smaller is only going to further the issue, particularly with regards to having to set a higher crossover point between small satellites and subwoofers which then ends up in the region of more directional/localised frequencies.

Adding a high quality sub can make the world of difference though. KEF’s own Kube subs are pretty decent now, and there’s also REL models to look at. Almost any of these should beat the PV1 on depth (presumably a Mk1?) and bring about a better bass presence. You’ll be surprised just how much a good sub will improve the LSX.

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Read up on Behringer B2031A monitors. They don't look as pretty as some of the models mentioned here, but when they impress the likes of Earl Geddes and Linkwitz (RIP), they have to be doing something right.
They also have switches for near-wall/corner placement, which a lot of HiFi speakers miss out on.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts