Which 2.1 Surround Sound System

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can someone please recommend a sound system which isn't too expensive and really easy to install? Excuse my ignorance but I take it that Multimedia speakers are suitable for TVs? It's just that I saw a Logitech 2.1 Multimedia system which looked really good and all you need to do is attach it to the headphone socket. However, all the reviews (very good), were for people using them with a PC? I would like a 2.1 system as don't speakers or wires all over the place.

A

Anonymous

Anyone?

I know you probably all have souper douper systems and not a 2.1 but this is all I want but not sure what to get so would really appreciate advice.

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
i am very new to this and dont have my system sorted at all but i have heard people advise that what you could do if budget is and issue is to get the bits one by one as funds allow, so start off with an av amp and a pair of fronts and a center, then add rears and sub later...i might go down this route via purchase of speakers slowly over ebay...............or if its room is an issue have you looked into a sound bar option?....................oh yes have you got your tv yet? i am still loving my pana th37px80!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="timwileman"]i am very new to this and dont have my system sorted at all but i have heard people advise that what you could do if budget is and issue is to get the bits one by one as funds allow, so start off with an av amp and a pair of fronts and a center, then add rears and sub later...i might go down this route via purchase of speakers slowly over ebay...............or if its room is an issue have you looked into a sound bar option?....................oh yes have you got your tv yet? i am still loving my pana th37px80![/quote]

Cheers for that.Much appreciated and good advice. A soundbar would be great but they are really expensive aren't they?

Nope not got the TV yet. If I can't raise the cash soon I think I will get a refund for my LCD. So glad you are enjoying the Plasma.

I am really looking forward to getting it.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Scotsgirl - there's loads of options here. What sort of budget are you looking at? I'm pretty sure the ones used with PC are not going to work very well as TV amplifiers as (I think) these are generally used with line outs on the PC (which look like headphone sockets but are actually connected to sound cards which amplify the sound). Very few TVs have this.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"]Hi Scotsgirl - there's loads of options here. What sort of budget are you looking at? I'm pretty sure the ones used with PC are not going to work very well as TV amplifiers as (I think) these are generally used with line outs on the PC (which look like headphone sockets but are actually connected to sound cards which amplify the sound). Very few TVs have this.[/quote]

I was really hoping I would get something for no more than £200?

I was speaking to someone who uses the Logitech X-230 Multimedia speakers attached to the headphone jack of his Panasonic 42PX80 and he said it is really good.

A

Anonymous

Apparantly the Jamo 2.1 system is a good bet and you maybe able to upgrade to 5.1 or more when ready, You can attach most things to this not just an Ipod. Try this link: http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/904387/Jamo-i300-iPod-Music-System/Product.html. Also, You may be able to find it cheaper elswhere!

Hope this is of help!

A

Anonymous

Hello scots girl ;-)

Have you thought about using a micro stereo type thing there are quite a few on the market for around around the £200 mark and im sure any of these would be a big step up from normal tv speakers and would be easy to connect using stereo phono cables. and ud get a new hi fi to boot.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Scotsgirl"]I was speaking to someone who uses the Logitech X-230 Multimedia speakers attached to the headphone jack of his Panasonic 42PX80 and he said it is really good.[/quote]

Hi Scotsgirl - sorry, I've had such a busy day today and although I've been looking around, I didn't get a chance to reply earlier. I'm interested by the Logitech scenario as, in my experience, hooking systems up via a headphone socket has always led to bad results, especially when the system is pushed a bit with volume. I also have to admit, when I made my original post, I forgot about the ".1" side of things (i.e. the subwoofer) and having a look around, this really narrows the choice down (though there are some excellent suggestions from the guys above if you need this).

So my next question is going to be, do you really need the ".1"? This is really a question of style - do you want really small speakers or are you happy to have an amp under your TV (which will probably be about twice the height of your average slim DVD player, though similar length and depth) and some boxy speakers like these? With the bigger speakers, I think, for your type of TV viewing, you'll find you won't need the subwoofer you see.

In a very unsubtle way, you may have noticed I'm pointing you towards a budget hi-fi system
(
emotion-1.gif
), but I honestly think this will be a better bet if you're only looking to really improve the quality of the sound from your television, rather than just make big noises during films...

I don't want to advise you to get anything you don't want though, so if you don't want (or can't fit) boxy speakers in your living room, please let me know and we'll see what else we can do for you!

A

Anonymous

You've had more reply's than most scottsgirl! i wonder why ;-) not to many ladies venture on these forums, apart from the lovley clare

A

Anonymous

I would definately agree with Prof Hat!! £200 spent on an amplifier and a pair of standmount speakers are going to be much better than a 2.1 system for the same money. Take a look at "System 3" on this link: http://www.richersounds.com/information.php?cda=static&cst=hifisystems If you don't need the CD player, then you could spend the extra on cables. The tannoy F1s are WHFSAV 5 star rated i think. Also, they should have enough punch on their own that they will produce more bass than a 2.1 system. Another thing to mention with the 2.1 sytems you have been considering, they tend to get distorted at higher volumes which is less likely to happen with the separates option.

A

Anonymous

Thats a good option too. Only Prob is they will take up more room and more cables, plugs etc. Plus they wont have that chick look that the ladies usually prefer to us guys and our mostly large ugly seperates.

A

Anonymous

From previous posts I have read from Scotsgirl, I am convinced that she is more concerned about quality over appearance (but she may well like the idea of large "ugly" separates). They may well take up more room, but they will create more sound, and better quality sound too. As for cables/plugs, I count one plug for the amp (which you would need for a 2.1 anyway) and the same number of speaker cables. Plus, you have to find room for the amp, but you don't need to find a place for the sub!!

A

Anonymous

Thanks ever so much everyone for all the advice.

Afraid my head is in a spin as not sure what to get but looks like the Logitech speakers and 2.1 are out so maybe a Hi-Fi System would be best?

Is this easy to install?

Tomcat you are spot on in that I am more interested in quality than looks but don't really want speakers all over the place. Could the amp go behind the TV and the speakers either side of the TV? I have a closed in TV cabinet and there are no gaps at either side.

Thanks again!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="garethwd"]Hello scots girl ;-)

Have you thought about using a micro stereo type thing there are quite a few on the market for around around the £200 mark and im sure any of these would be a big step up from normal tv speakers and would be easy to connect using stereo phono cables. and ud get a new hi fi to boot.[/quote]

These sound good as well. Not sure what to look for though?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Lewis201"]
Samsung HTX200R maybe?
[/quote]

I really like the look of this. Excuse my ignorance but would this improve sound on the television as well?

A

Anonymous

I am glad you like the sound quality over the look that is paramount in my book. Although it has to be ok to look at too.
In that case you should go with tomcat's suggestion and get an amp and speakers. Try looking on richer sounds website they have some good deals at the moment. Set-up should not be too taxing either. Good luck

A

Anonymous

Ok thanks I will do.

Could I put the amp behind the TV and the speakers either side of the TV?

What about cables? Sorry this is completely new territory for me and I'm a ladeeeeeeeeeeeee!

A

Anonymous

Scotsgirl, Ideally you have a TV cabinet with enough room to fit the Amp, which will be 17in wide, height varies from amp to amp. The amp should have its own shelf so that it has room to breathe (you don't want it getting too hot). The speakers then go either side of the TV, stands give the best sound reproduction, although they could go elsewhere, but not too close to the telly. Watch out for rear ported speakers if they are going to be close to the walls because you might get too much boom. As for set up, a phono (RCA) cable between phono out on the telly and phono input on the amp. The speaker cable from amp to speakers (should be same length) QED Silver Anniversary can be found for around £5 a metre, you won't need much. There is an option to bi-wire with some amps, which some people will say is a must (Bi-wiring means to run two sets of speaker cable to each speaker, personal preference really) The other advantage with a separate amp is that you can put other sources onto it, such as a iPod or CD player.

A

Anonymous

Richer Sounds will be able to sort you out with everything you need, and above all, haggle with them cos it is all about the free upgrades. The stock cables they give you will probably be Gale cables. They do the job, but QED are better.

A

Anonymous

Thanks ever so much Tom. Went way over my head but I'm really tired!

I will check but should have room for the amp.

A

Anonymous

I'll put it in more simple terms in the form of a shopping list.... 1. Amplifier 2. Speakers 3. Speaker stands 4. Phono cable (2xRCA - 2xRCA) 5. Speaker cable (I would recommend QED silver anniversary) One end of the phono cable goes into the TVs output, the other end goes into one of the inputs on the amp.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="tom83cat"]I'll put it in more simple terms in the form of a shopping list.... 1. Amplifier 2. Speakers 3. Speaker stands 4. Phono cable (2xRCA - 2xRCA) 5. Speaker cable (I would recommend QED silver anniversary) One end of the phono cable goes into the TVs output, the other end goes into one of the inputs on the amp.[/quote]

Thanks ever so much. That is a real help.

TRENDING THREADS