Which 2.1 Surround Sound System

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gopi

Nov 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi scotsgirl, i recently assembled my first system and let me tell you one thing from my experience. At 200 pounds I would say that its not worth to go about picking your amp, speaker cables etc; You might have to compromise on looks, size etc; The perfect bet I see here is AudioEngine A5 costing exactly 200 pounds. This is a pair of active bookshelf speakers. They look nice and sound even better. You just need these 2 and no amp etc;. Just plug and use them. They have been reviewed extremely favorable by a lot of folks. Google about these.

A

Anonymous

I certainly will Google these. Thanks very much!

Sounds really good and easy to install which is ideal for me.

A

Anonymous

I meant this kinda a thing

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/402605/SONY-CMTBX7DAB

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gopi"]
Hi scotsgirl, i recently assembled my first system and let me tell you one thing from my experience. At 200 pounds I would say that its not worth to go about picking your amp, speaker cables etc; You might have to compromise on looks, size etc; The perfect bet I see here is AudioEngine A5 costing exactly 200 pounds. This is a pair of active bookshelf speakers. They look nice and sound even better. You just need these 2 and no amp etc;. Just plug and use them. They have been reviewed extremely favorable by a lot of folks. Google about these.

[/quote]

I've just had a quick look at these and have to say they look just the job!

Where did you get yours and where did you position the speakers?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="garethwd"]I meant this kinda a thing

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/402605/SONY-CMTBX7DAB[/quote]

Looks good too thanks although am swayed towards the AudioEngine 5 as like the simplicity and the fact there are only two speakers.

A

Anonymous

I am a little concerned about the AudioEngine5s. Firstly, some sites are saying WHSAV have given this item a 5 star rating, yet I cannot find them in the buyers guide and I cannot remember the review (correct me if I am wrong team) Next is the fact that most of the reviews online are coming from America, a country which is a bit wierd when it comes to decent audio. They say first impressions count, and it would seem the reviewers have been swayed by the speakers coming in individual cloth sacks, talking about an "Apple experience" when opening the box. Crown Royal, which is a cheapish blended canadian whiskey widely available in the states, comes in a novelty purple cloth sack, but I'd still prefer a Scottish single malt. I am also concerned about how all the electronics are in one speaker, which means that speaker weighs a great deal more then the other and has less space for resonance inside the box which immediately means one speaker sounds different to the other one. One final thing, if you buy these speakers, that is it, no upgrading, no additional sources and if it packs up, you have to ditch the lot and you are £200 worse off. If you haven't guessed, i think these speakers are a bad idea and you should stick to what was suggested by the well informed Professor Hat and go for a budget hi-fi setup (amp and 2 speakers).

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, at the end of the day, I'm in two minds on this. I know the A2s got a 5 star review from the WHF team, so wouldn't surprise me if the A5s did as well. On the other hand, I do agree with tom83cat and his reservations on them and think you will get a better sound from proper separate kit.

But at the end of the day, it's what you want and think is best for you, Scotsgirl. The separate amp and speakers, whilst more than likely providing a better sound, will be more hassle (firstly to choose a matched system and secondly to find a space for it) than the AudioEngines, and that might well sell it for you. What would be ideal though, would be if someone with first hand knowledge of the AEs could comment on how they sound compared to a reasonable budget hi-fi separates setup as I haven't heard them. If there's not much in it, then it's a pretty easy decision.

Gopi

Nov 19, 2007
Visit site
tom83cat and professor, my opinion of your concerns are as following. First, regarding reviews, I am pretty sure I can pull out atleast ten 5 star reviews from different magazines. These really doesnt matter as all these only made the product good enough to merit an audition or look. Your concern about 1 speaker having the amplifier and the other not, causing bad soundstaging or imaging, is justified in theory. But not a single review I read said that there was a problem around this, though they were aware of the potential problem. Regarding upgrade, I would say these make a wonderful second set later, when she wants to upgrade. These can be quietly moved to even tiny corners and can be used. If not, she can sell these and upgrade to what she wants. I personally had Rotel RA04 and Monitaor Audio B2. My Audio engine A2 will be reaching me today. But these are what I learnt on the path of buying these. Since Whathifi said if u can live without the remote RA04 is the best, I went for it over RA05 to save money. But, in the 3 months with me I realised that I need remote. The wires have been quite some hassle as well. This setup cannot be moved from one place to another. If you shift houses frequently then these are problems again. All these are fine if they were wow. But they weren't. These seperates are still good budget products only. So, at budget level I would give convenience more importance along with sound. If something looked damn ugly and huge but created heaven, then I would go for it :) Hope I am not offending you in anyway, just stating my opinion.

scotsgirl, I wanted to listen before buying but missed my chance. Anyway, I will have my A2's today and will let you know how they sound. I live in India and so, can't help you out where to buy/audition these there.

A

Anonymous

If scottsgirls was scottsboy i wonder if there be the clamour to asist????????? i might change my user name!!!!!! ;)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"]
Well, at the end of the day, I'm in two minds on this. I know the A2s got a 5 star review from the WHF team, so wouldn't surprise me if the A5s did as well. On the other hand, I do agree with tom83cat and his reservations on them and think you will get a better sound from proper separate kit.

But at the end of the day, it's what you want and think is best for you, Scotsgirl. The separate amp and speakers, whilst more than likely providing a better sound, will be more hassle (firstly to choose a matched system and secondly to find a space for it) than the AudioEngines, and that might well sell it for you. What would be ideal though, would be if someone with first hand knowledge of the AEs could comment on how they sound compared to a reasonable budget hi-fi separates setup as I haven't heard them. If there's not much in it, then it's a pretty easy decision.
[/quote]

You are right Prof in that what drew me to the A5 was the simplicity but, if they are not up to the job, then I will need to reconsider.

I have to say I am not sure I have the confidence , or know how, to put an amp and speakers together?

Gopi please let me know how you get on with the A2. Thanks!

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="tom83cat"]I am a little concerned about the AudioEngine5s.

Firstly, some sites are saying WHSAV have given this item a 5 star rating,
yet I cannot find them in the buyers guide and I cannot remember the review
(correct me if I am wrong team)
[/quote]

............Hi they are in the buyers guide at the back of the mag under MP3 and PC speakers, both the A2 and A5 are given 5 stars, the A5 is a winner in the 2007 awards. however i have no idea if/how they hook up to a TV etc

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Scotsgirl"]I have to say I am not sure I have the confidence , or know how, to put an amp
and speakers together?[/quote] If you can put the A5s together, you should be able to sort out an amp and two speakers, from what I can tell there would be only one more wire to connect. Timwileman, thanks for that, isuppose it makes sense that it is in the PC and MP3 speakers section. I still think a budget hifi would be better, but thats just my opinion.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="tom83cat"][quote user="Scotsgirl"]I have to say I am not sure I have the confidence , or know how, to put an amp
and speakers together?[/quote] If you can put the A5s together, you should be able to sort out an amp and two speakers, from what I can tell there would be only one more wire to connect. Timwileman, thanks for that, isuppose it makes sense that it is in the PC and MP3 speakers section. I still think a budget hifi would be better, but thats just my opinion.[/quote]

Ok thanks for that.

I have to explain that a good part of my problem is due to illness (I won't bore you with it and not looking for sympathy!) I get 'cotton wool brain' which means I just cannot fathom things out at times so this is why I need something which will be easy to install and use. Not because I'm a ladeeeeee!

I have come across a sound system called Logic 3 TX101. Does anyone know what this is like?

A

Anonymous

The Logic3 looks interesting, but at a guess, i think the A5s would sound better.

Gopi

Nov 19, 2007
Visit site
Heard my A2's for couple of hours. Here is the conclusion - For its size and money it will be one of the best. I did listen to quite a lot of system of the same price or more, but I can say that this one is quite loud and clear. Belts out quite some bass for its size. Its like its always with bass boost, quite a coloured sound. If not placed right it can override everything else. Does it sound like my 5 times costlier seperates. No not even near. I can predict how A5's will sound. I would say, now I am split as well. The system pointed out by Professorhat should sound pretty good as well. If you can audition all these at some place, then it would be great. See, if thats possible. Is complexity of setup a serious concern, because if somebody sets it up for you once wouldnt that be fine. Because in some sense like tomcat pointed out, even A5 isnt too easy. The best is a one box solution, if ease of setup is utmost priority.

A

Anonymous

I am so grateful for all the info but very confused.

Yes Gopi a one box solution would be best as ease of set up is a priority. However, if this is not going to give the same sound quality as separates then it would be a waste of money.

Will need to see if I can get someone to help install them.

So which amp and speakers should I get? Would I be able to put the amp behind the TV and the speakers either side of the TV?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi again

Well now, if we're looking at separates, I would recommend a bargain I've just seen of the Marantz PM4001 at Richer Sounds for £100 (it's currently rated 5 stars in WHF at £180). To make things simple for ordering, couple this with the (also 5 star rated) Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs also from Richer Sounds and you've got a great sounding system on your hands. Unfortunately, this means I've blown your budget before looking at cables and stands! I'm guessing the speakers will fit on your current TV stand either side of your TV? (check the dimensions on the site). If so, I'd say the hell with stands for the moment (we're only looking at better sound for the TV after all, not picking up the nuances of a hi-fidelity CD recording) and point you towards either this or this for the speaker cable, and then this cable to hook your TV to the amp. Confused?! If so, I can do a post which will walk you through how this is all connected - honestly, it really isn't too complicated I promise!

Then again, the Hi-Fi System 2 here is £200 on the dot (again from Richer Sounds), looks good as well and includes the basic cabling you need to get going and also includes an iPod dock if you own one!

There are some cheaper options, but I've been trying to stick with amps with remote controls as if you're having the amp hidden behind the TV a bit, I'd imagine this is crucial to control the volume. Placing the amp behind the TV is fine by the way, so long as the amp has some room to breathe (otherwise it'll overheat) and you can still get the IR beam to hit it from where you sit on the sofa (though I've found a simple trick with a mirror can solve this sometimes). Ideally, it needs to sit somewhere stable i.e. where vibrations from the floor won't affect it, but this isn't as important on budget systems as the next level up IMO.

You'd then just need to measure the distance between where the speakers will be and the amp will be to see how many metres of speaker cable you need to order (NB - even if the distance to one speaker is closer than the other, get the same length of cable for both as this ensures you get the correct sound from both speakers). Also, make sure the distance between where the amp would go and the TV isn't more than one metre as otherwise we'll need a longer cable here too.

Sorry - long post, hope it's not too much to take in and give us a shout if I've been unclear anywhere (which is more than likely!)

A

Anonymous

Thanks ever so much Prof!

I will have a look at the products you suggest. I forgot that the TV cabinet has a bottom shelf so could put the amp there.

Would the speakers be okay behind the TV as there won't be room either side I'm afraid?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hmm, I'm gonna have to say not really on this one - it would be a bit pointless to spend all the money on this system and then block the sound coming at you with a TV. Ideally, you want something like these Soundstyles to put them on, but I realise we're going way over budget then. In all honesty, putting them on anything will be better than behind the TV - as long as you can see the speaker cones.

A

Anonymous

I have been following this thread for a while now, it seems to me that between everybody, Scotsgirl has kind of narrowed down her choice of systems. It all rests on the placement of the speakers.
Scotsgirl, what type of cabinet do you have and is there abosutley no way the speakers can sit beside the TV on the cabinet or on stands. If not, and I know it all comes down to Budget, can you replace the cabinet with something which will allow you some more room.

Andy

A

Anonymous

Afraid I really can't justify getting a new cabinet as the one I have cost over £200 and isn't very old.

I will make some measurements and see whether I could place the speakers in front of the TV.If not maybe the stands either side of the cabinet would be best.

I do have walls either side of the TV so if I put some shelves up would it be okay to put the speakers on these?

I could take a photo of my cabinet etc but not sure how to post this on here?

A

Anonymous

They would be better on stands, which are also less permanent than putting up shelves. You need advanced settings to put pictures up, unless you post elsewhere on a picture hosting site and then paste the link. I have been trying all day to get the advanced settings to hold on here, but it keeps reverting back to plain text.... grrrrr.

A

Anonymous

I can see the speaker stands in your avatar and really don't think I will have room for them.

Oh dear seems this is going to be a problem! It really is a pity that an 'all in one' wouldn't be okay. I know soundbars are good but really expensive! Where's my lottery ticket?!

TRENDING THREADS