WHF have just reviewed the Oppo 105d - anyone knows how it scores?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Unlike their previous lukewarm review of the Oppo 93, I think it was, the What Hi-Fi review (in the December 2014 issue, which arrived at my flat today) of the Oppo 105D is almost entirely positive. I won't be giving more quotes from the review (the magazine is well worth buying, folks), so these two will have to do:

"Every aspect of picture quality, from motion handling, to naturalness of colours or noise levels is top class, and a clear step better than already impressively capable machines such Marantz's UD7007 and Panasonic's BDT700. At this point it's only fair to point out that both these machines retail for around half the Oppo's price, so it's clear the 105D needs to do more to justify its price premium, and we think it does."

"This player continues the good work when it comes to movie sound. It has a bold, full-bodied presentation that delivers voices with real finesse and clarity, while rendering explosions and suchlike with power and authority. Detail levels are very high and the sound presentation stays composed even during busy scenes. Here again, the Oppo pulls clearly ahead of other premium machines, making for more entertaning and engaging results. Thie advantage is rammed home when it comes to stereo music replay."

But, they didn't like the Darbee processing function, so they left it alone.

What Hi-Fi give the £1,100 Oppo BDP-105D five stars.

(And, just for you gel, you can't afford one, and you don't really need one either!)

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
Unlike their previous lukewarm review of the Oppo 93, I think it was, the What Hi-Fi review (in the December 2014 issue, which arrived at my flat today) of the Oppo 105D is almost entirely positive. I won't be giving more quotes from the review (the magazine is well worth buying, folks), so these two will have to do:

"Every aspect of picture quality, from motion handling, to naturalness of colours or noise levels is top class, and a clear step better than already impressively capable machines such Marantz's UD7007 and Panasonic's BDT700. At this point it's only fair to point out that both these machines retail for around half the Oppo's price, so it's clear the 105D needs to do more to justify its price premium, and we think it does."

"This player continues the good work when it comes to movie sound. It has a bold, full-bodied presentation that delivers voices with real finesse and clarity, while rendering explosions and suchlike with power and authority. Detail levels are very high and the sound presentation stays composed even during busy scenes. Here again, the Oppo pulls clearly ahead of other premium machines, making for more entertaning and engaging results. Thie advantage is rammed home when it comes to stereo music replay."

What Hi-Fi give the £1,100 Oppo BDP-105D five stars.

(And, just for you gel, you can't afford one, and you don't really need one either!)
*biggrin*. That's brilliant - thanks!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:

As did Steve May for Home Cinema choice, and Steve Withers for AVForums was also equivocal about the merits of Darbee processing. And importantly, as bigboss has previously said when comparing the earlier Oppo 93 to the Oppo 95, the main reason to buy the Oppo 105D is to do with its analogue audio performance. Indeed, Steve Withers says "If you plan on using your player as a digital transport, then the BDP-105 is probably not for you as one of the main reasons for buying it would be to take advantage of the reference DACs. Cosmetics and build differences aside, you would instead be better off buying the equally impressive but much cheaper BDP-103."

So gel, unless you plan to start using the 7.1 analogue connections, don't buy the Oppo 105D, buy the Oppo 103D instead. But dang, you've just spent all your money on a Pioneer LX91 Blu-Ray player .....

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
Son_of_SJ said:

As did Steve May for Home Cinema choice, and Steve Withers for AVForums was also equivocal about the merits of Darbee processing. And importantly, as bigboss has previously said when comparing the earlier Oppo 93 to the Oppo 95, the main reason to buy the Oppo 105D is to do with its analogue audio performance. Indeed, Steve Withers says "If you plan on using your player as a digital transport, then the BDP-105 is probably not for you as one of the main reasons for buying it would be to take advantage of the reference DACs. Cosmetics and build differences aside, you would instead be better off buying the equally impressive but much cheaper BDP-103."

So gel, unless you plan to start using the 7.1 analogue connections, don't buy the Oppo 105D, buy the Oppo 103D instead. But dang, you've just spent all your money on a Pioneer LX91 Blu-Ray player .....
I had the Oppo 103 but sold it! I will settle for my 91.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Gel, I have three questions for you, two of which have been nagging away for a considerable time.

One, why do you Quote in your replies so much, even when you are responding to the posting immediately above, why do you not simply Reply? Using Quote means that all the previous post is reproduced, when it doesn't always need to be.

Two, if you must Quote, why don't you quote selectively, editing out all the other material in the previous posting and leaving only the specific point that you now want to address? Quoting selectively really takes only about eight seconds to edit out other material. Bigboss is someone who quotes selectively, meaning that there isn't lots of superflous material in his quotes. Now follows an example of a selective quote, see, I can do it too!

gel said:

Three, just why did you sell your Oppo 103?????

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Interestingly, Oppo themselves say that picture quality is exactly the same in 103 and 105.

Yep, if gel is now lusting over the Oppo 105, and he wouldn't be using the 7.1 multichannel outputs, he should have kept his 103, among several transitory purchases.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
Gel, I have three questions for you, two of which have been nagging away for a considerable time.

One, why do you Quote in your replies so much, even when you are responding to the posting immediately above, why do you not simply Reply? Using Quote means that all the previous post is reproduced, when it doesn't always need to be.

I will have a go at quoting now.

Two, if you must Quote, why don't you quote selectively, editing out all the other material in the previous posting and leaving only the specific point that you now want to address? Quoting selectively really takes only about eight seconds to edit out other material. Bigboss is someone who quotes selectively, meaning that there isn't lots of superflous material in his quotes. Now follows an example of a selective quote, see, I can do it too!

gel said:

Three, just why did you sell your Oppo 103?????
The Oppo was great but was exactly the same as my Pioneer 71 and I needed the money.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Interestingly, Oppo themselves say that picture quality is exactly the same in 103 and 105.

Perhaps it was different reviewers with this one. The 103 was compared to the Pioneer 450 and they didn't like the sound.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:

Mmmm, still some work to do on getting the selective quotations correct I see ........ When you click on the Quote button, the next window that opens has all the previous posting as a quote. Just delete the stuff that's not relevant to the immediate point that you want to respond to .... simples!

What you need quoting should be between [ quote=username ] and [ /quote ]

(Ignore the spaces before and after the square brackets.... I've put that on purpose so it doesn't quote.)

For example, if I'm quoting gel's post, I'll start with [ quote=gel ] and end with [ /quote ] with the thing to quote between them.

Like this:

gel said:
This is how you quote

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Let's hope that gel doesn't get too confused, because neither of his posts number 12 and 13 are quite right. Post 12 should have been something like

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:

simples!

gel said:
How's this?

To briefly expand what bigboss says, I often copy the [ quote=username ] starting block and [ /quote ] ending block (without the extra spaces inside the square brackets) as necessary to make sure that the whole thing makes sense (I've had to do so to make sure that your "How's this?" phrase came out correctly. And, if it doesn't look right when I click Save, then I quickly go back and edit my new post so that it is right.

Still, I guess that I'd better stop confusing gel, lest he go and buy another piece of A/V kit!! *smile*

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
Let's hope that gel doesn't get too confused, because neither of his posts number 12 and 13 are quite right. Post 12 should have been something like

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:

simples!

gel said:
How's this?

To briefly expand what bigboss says, I often copy the [ quote=username ] starting block and [ /quote ] ending block (without the extra spaces inside the square brackets) as necessary to make sure that the whole thing makes sense (I've had to do so to make sure that your "How's this?" phrase came out correctly. And, if it doesn't look right when I click Save, then I quickly go back and edit my new post so that it is right.

Still, I guess that I'd better stop confusing gel, lest he go and buy another piece of A/V kit!! *smile*
I'm afraid I am a bit confused. *smile*

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I don't know anything about the review as I've not seen it, but the video performance is (I'm led to believe) identical between the 103 and 105 models (although someone did tell me that they thought that the Darbee equipped model was slightly better at DVD replay). The main benefit of the 105 is the analogue output quality which is helped by the Sabre DACs, and the flexibility in respect of outputs, particularly in being able to decode 7.1 and connect analogue to a processor/pre, as well as having an independent two channel output (balanced and unbalanced) for connection to a separate hi-fi system.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:

simples!

gel said:
How's this?

I'm afraid I am a bit confused. *smile*

who cares, not me!

If you are interested there is another review in the December edition of Hi-Fi World Magazine.

Five Globes and a pound sign (very good indeed) i.e. 'Outstanding - amongst the best'

And if I may continue to plagerise:- VERDICT:- Fabulous sound quality and great versatility make this a superb player.

FOR:- sound quality, plays most silver discs, plays files including DSD

AGAINST:- no 192K S/PDIF, awkward input control sequences, no DSD over USB

Not a great deal of discusion on the video side of things and, unless you really must have Darbee processing, I'd seek out the older 105eu (like what I've got
omg_smile.gif
)

Hope this helps.

D

Deleted member 2457

Al ears said:
If you are interested there is another review in the December edition of Hi-Fi World Magazine.

Five Globes and a pound sign (very good indeed) i.e. 'Outstanding - amongst the best'

And if I may continue to plagerise:- VERDICT:- Fabulous sound quality and great versatility make this a superb player.

FOR:- sound quality, plays most silver discs, plays files including DSD

AGAINST:- no 192K S/PDIF, awkward input control sequences, no DSD over USB

Not a great deal of discusion on the video side of things and, unless you really must have Darbee processing, I'd seek out the older 105eu (like what I've got )

Hope this helps.
Yep, thanks for the input.

Darren1704

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys

what was the partnering kit used for this review and when assessing movie sound was the playback through the 7.1 channel analogue outs?

Many thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts