Where do you buy CDs?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Haven't bought and cds for years, but as I've recently been ripping all of the ones I do have, I thought it's be a good idea to buy a few.

Bought 8 or so from Zoverstocks, 1 out of the 3 I've tried has failed to rip so far, and some of the others don't look that good, so we'll have to see if they're ok.

They were cheap, but when they're described as very good, I don't expect them to be so scratched.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
GSB said:
My excact fears :cry:

I did get one from Amazon marketplace, I did not know it was coming from abroad as seller had UK on its name, so did take 3 weeks but was OK but if I had known I would have ordered it from a USA seller which was cheaper. I'm not sure about UK tax now, I know in the past I got stung for tax but it may depend on the value. It used to be £18 for VAT but believe that changed last year.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Haven't bought and cds for years, but as I've recently been ripping all of the ones I do have, I thought it's be a good idea to buy a few.

Bought 8 or so from Zoverstocks, 1 out of the 3 I've tried has failed to rip so far, and some of the others don't look that good, so we'll have to see if they're ok.

They were cheap, but when they're described as very good, I don't expect them to be so scratched.

I have also bought about 6 from Zoverstocks, 4 were fine, one was like new even if rated v. good, 1 had a few marks on sleeve and scratches on cd, 1 had a couple of marks on cd and would not play on one track so had to be replaced. Overall fairly happy.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
My only problem with Amazon is you can't order from their USA site which is often cheaper and has wider range. Postage is a bit weird as well, cds in UK are £1.26 but from USA same.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
GSB said:

I did get one from Amazon marketplace, I did not know it was coming from abroad as seller had UK on its name, so did take 3 weeks but was OK but if I had known I would have ordered it from a USA seller which was cheaper. I'm not sure about UK tax now, I know in the past I got stung for tax but it may depend on the value. It used to be £18 for VAT but believe that changed last year.
I'm just worried about ordering a disk,only for me to have like£30 to pay in import tax or something like...although i am waiting on an sacd from the states,but again it says it is a uk set-up.. :? Anyways it said the price was inclusive of all taxes,and in the delivery email they sent it states no sig required.

matthewpiano

BigH said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I have also bought about 6 from Zoverstocks, 4 were fine, one was like new even if rated v. good, 1 had a few marks on sleeve and scratches on cd, 1 had a couple of marks on cd and would not play on one track so had to be replaced. Overall fairly happy.

This is why I prefer to go into the That's Entertainment shop, browse, check the condition of the discs and buy. There are several deals on like 6 for £5, 3 for £5 and 2 for £5 depending on the music and I find being able to actually check the condition of everything really helpful. It also brings back some of the old record shopping feeling.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
GSB said:
BigH said:
GSB said:

I'm just worried about ordering a disk,only for me to have like£30 to pay in import tax or something like...although i am waiting on an sacd from the states,but again it says it is a uk set-up.. :? Anyways it said the price was inclusive of all taxes,and in the delivery email they sent it states no sig required.

You should be OK, is it through Amazon marketplace?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
BigH said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

This is why I prefer to go into the That's Entertainment shop, browse, check the condition of the discs and buy. There are several deals on like 6 for £5, 3 for £5 and 2 for £5 depending on the music and I find being able to actually check the condition of everything really helpful. It also brings back some of the old record shopping feeling.

As I say 4 out of 6 were OK, 1 was replaced, so now 5 are OK and one is slightly below standard, so 6 cds for £9 can't be bad.

Don't have a That's Entertainment shop near us yet.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I just priced up four CDs I wanted from Amazon and compared the cost with Amazon Marketplace and Sainsbury.

Totals cost Amazon £39.00, Marketplace £34.98, Sainsbury £27.96. Sainsbury was cheapest for every item. None were chart material. All included p&p. I have used Sainsbury before, but that struck me as a sizeable difference.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
GSB said:
BigH said:
GSB said:

You should be OK, is it through Amazon marketplace?
Yeah,company called puretone i think.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
hammill said:
I just priced up four CDs I wanted from Amazon and compared the cost with Amazon Marketplace and Sainsbury.

Totals cost Amazon £39.00, Marketplace £34.98, Sainsbury £27.96. Sainsbury was cheapest for every item. None were chart material. All included p&p. I have used Sainsbury before, but that struck me as a sizeable difference.

What artists were they?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
hammill said:

What artists were they?
Return to Forever, Peter Hammill and 2x Yes

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
hammill said:
BigH said:
hammill said:

What artists were they?
Return to Forever, Peter Hammill and 2x Yes

I see.

I checked my Amazon basket and Sainsburys only had 1 out of 5 and that was Stephen Fretwell which was £4.99, Amazon is £2.09 for new or £1.27 used both inc. postage.

I don't know which Yes ones you want but most are £3-£6 inc. postage on Amazon.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
I don't know which Yes ones you want but most are £3-£6 inc. postage on Amazon.
Er, yes I know. If you want to do the comparison yourself, Yes - Yesshows and Yessongs. Return To Forever - The Mothership Returns. Peter Hammill - The Margin. I am sure one can find examples that work the other way, but as these were things I intend to order (I have ordered The Mothership Returns), it was relevant to me and the size of difference was a surprise.

T

the record spot

Yessongs used to be a right pain to get. Once upon a time - and not that long ago either - it was routinely about £20+ in HMV. Then - bless 'em - they had a sale and slashed the price. I jumped on it. This was the Joe Gastwirt remaster, but I later picked up the original Atlantic fatbox release. Not so impressed with that mastering. Very muddy. Whoever thinks that early CD releases were harsh, tinny and overbright never heard that one. The JG remaster kicks it every time.

Re: Zoverstocks - used them a lot, love them, really rate their service and think of the ones I've bought, only one has flopped. The only slight niggle is they don't round up the postage if you buy several - so it's 2p for the disc and £1.27 postage per disc. Bought fewer from there of late as what I don't have on CD by now, I'm not fussed for too greatly and Spotify Premium, Sony's Music Unlimited and Deezer all offer instead (usually).

And for now, I'm currently enjoying Barry Diament's brilliant job on Phil Collins' "Face Value" album. Terrific cut.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
Yessongs used to be a right pain to get. Once upon a time - and not that long ago either - it was routinely about £20+ in HMV. Then - bless 'em - they had a sale and slashed the price. I jumped on it. This was the Joe Gastwirt remaster, but I later picked up the original Atlantic fatbox release. Not so impressed with that mastering. Very muddy. Whoever thinks that early CD releases were harsh, tinny and overbright never heard that one. The JG remaster kicks it every time.
1994 remaster £3.99 at Sainsbury. Amazing price for a double CD

T

the record spot

Yes, how times change. I got mine for £12.99 I think and the original for about £6 I think (Unknown Pleasure in Edinburgh's Royal Mile - great shop). Yesshows you could barely find over here. I ended up getting mine for thoraway money (about £7 for the 2-disc set) from somewhere in the States via Ebay. No import duty either!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yessongs is only £5.67 on Amazon but £9.99 in Sainsburys, I would have bought the 2 Yes albums from Amazon for £11.67 and the other 2 from Sainsburys, not that I would buy those albums.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts